Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Wrong
    I'd be for Yucca Mtn. Since the DOW fuct that whole area up with over 800 nukes, it's a wasteland...too bad the mtn is so far away from the Flats test site

https://www.yuccamountain.org/
    What exists today (2021) at Yucca Mountain: A 5-mile exploratory tunnel, no waste disposal tunnels (Over 40 miles are needed), no waste handling facilities, no state water permit, no license (construction authorization), no railroad and an expired BLM land withdrawal.

And there is more going on than we'll ever be let know, the military is running it...
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...a13-story.html
    Look, the NTS is an entirely different asset from Yucca Mountain.

And, listen, your testimony doesn't carry any weight here in the court if public opinion because you've been impeached. So, you may check the NIMBYism and let the science (which says that Yucca Mountain us the most studied geological formation in Earth) dictate that we should open the site because Yucca is dry, safe, and an ideal site to store spent commerical nuclear fuel.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

What hasn't been discussed here much is conservation. There is a lot of energy wasted doing nothing. Before I decided to put solar on my roof I tried to reduce energy use. When replacing appliances high efficiency was a priority. My roof was replaced and additional insulation added before I put panels up. Electric bills now are just the $20 per month meter fee. This is with 3kw worth of panels for a 1500 square foot air conditioned house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

oofah:

https://www.eenews.net/articles/grea...ency-for-utah/

Utah’s iconic Great Salt Lake, long neglected by regulators, is collapsing due to a historic drought and climate change.

And, in a cruel twist, the demise of the lake — which shriveled to a record low level in July — may threaten Utah’s posh ski towns and even the state’s water supply.

At issue: the "lake effect."

The sprawling Great Salt Lake doesn’t freeze in the winter due to its high salt content, so when some storms blow in, they collect the lake’s moisture, strengthen, then deliver extra snow to the Wasatch Mountains.

That snow is the lifeblood of ski towns like Alta and Snowbird, but it also contributes to water supply. Utah gets 95 percent of its water from snowpack.

Scientists say it’s unclear just how much the lake effect boosts the snowpack, but current research suggests it’s 5 to 8 percent.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

I'm not a fan of turning Nevada into every other states waste dump. I've been spending quite a bit of time there the last few years and I really believe it's the last, great western state. Let's not f that place up. I think every state should be responsible for their waste and keep it in house.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla Gorilla View Post

And, listen, your testimony doesn't carry any weight here in the court if public opinion because you've been impeached. So, you may check the NIMBYism and let the science (which says that Yucca Mountain us the most studied geological formation in Earth) dictate that we should open the site because Yucca is dry, safe, and an ideal site to store spent commerical nuclear fuel.

Your shrieks of NIMBYism can be easily translated to: you don't live there. You've probably never been there. You probably know nothing about the roads that would become overrun with trucks full of hazardous waste, nor do you know anything about the towns these things would drive through, or the weather conditions, or, really, anything at all . . .

It's not me. It's locals, conservationists and NIMBY's. NV is sparsely populated and I think it would work fine
    Everyone want clean nuclear power, but no one wants the deadly waste anywhere near them

That said, THERE'S NO ACTIVE PERMANAMNENT NCLEAR WASTE DEPOSITRY, at the time, fact

In conclusion, there's no place that will hold the waste until it's inert without some major environmental problem, earthquake, floods, ground water, super volcano...so at best, burying nuclear waste is a band aide on the waste problem

I don't think the people in Nevada would agree with this assessment. Look up downwinders syndrome.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    re: Fusion... I'm highly skeptical of any production claims in the next decade or even two. But there is a lot of promising work going on. Take Helion for example.. they are figuring out a direct cycle approach. Which would be awesome.

What could possibly go wrong with nuclear waste and moving it across multiple states?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'm for building out nuclear, fission and fusion when it works, both create radioactive waste that needs to be put somewhere. Still, nuclear has a track record of being quite safe with only a few accidents in its history. Yes nuclear radiation is bad but yes so is pollution from your car, your power plant, your big truck that you think you need to have to haul around a bike and some skis on roads that are fine for a 2wd sedan 99.9% of the time.

I think I'd prefer to take the gamble on building out more nuclear plants with modernized, safer designs than not. Solar & wind are great but too intermittent and the batteries aren't there yet.

Let's send the radioactive waste to Mars and tax/task Elon Musk and Bezos with the costs of the entire operation. They've already started working out some logistics of getting ships there.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    I'm for building out nuclear, fission and fusion when it works, both create radioactive waste that needs to be put somewhere. Still, nuclear has a track record of being quite safe with only a few accidents in its history. Yes nuclear radiation is bad but yes so is pollution from your car, your power plant, your big truck that you think you need to have to haul around a bike and some skis on roads that are fine for a 2wd sedan 99.9% of the time.

I think I'd prefer to take the gamble on building out more nuclear plants with modernized, safer designs than not. Solar & wind are great but too intermittent and the batteries aren't there yet.
    This is the best two paragraph summary promoting nuclear that I have ever read or heard

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Let's send the radioactive waste to Mars and tax/task Elon Musk and Bezos with the costs of the entire operation. They've already started working out some logistics of getting ships there.
    This is it. Homosapien 2.0 pollutes a planet PRIOR to colonization.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    This is the best two paragraph summary promoting nuclear that I have ever read or heard
    In the words of that great philosopher, Bullwinkle--

This time for sure . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

This is probably what happened to Mars a gazillian million years ago last time there was intelligent life nearby. It's like the New Jersey of the Solar System.

That said, THERE'S NO ACTIVE PERMANAMNENT NCLEAR WASTE DEPOSITRY, at the time, fact
    Got a handle on the facts, eh?

Then why does 42 U.S. Code § 10172 say what it says?

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post

The exhaust from your truck want give you terminal cancer or kill you if your near it for a few hours, spent nuclear fuel rods will.
    I agree with most of what you said. But we need an open and active nuclear waste site first

Got a handle on the facts, eh?

Then why does 42 U.S. Code § 10172 say what it says?

IT'S NOT OPEN! 34 fucking years, and it's still not open

(a)In general
    (1)The Secretary shall provide for an orderly phase-out of site specific activities at all candidate sites other than the Yucca Mountain site.
    (2)The Secretary shall terminate all site specific activities (other than reclamation activities) at all candidate sites, other than the Yucca Mountain site, within 90 days after December 22, 1987.
    (b)Eligibility to enter into benefits agreement
    Effective on December 22, 1987, the State of Nevada shall be eligible to enter into a benefits agreement with the Secretary under section 10173 of this title.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/10172

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yucca shut down.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	388977
    https://www.nei.org/advocacy/make-re...d-nuclear-fuel

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Well it's totally safe so Elon should be ok with that.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

NASA Satellites See Upper Atmosphere Cooling and Contracting Due to Climate Change

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...climate-change

Climate Change

On a somewhat serious note regarding sending nuclear waste to space…

I’m not smart enough to know if it’s safer to bury nuclear waste in the desert or strap it to a rocket….

I’m not smart enough to know if it’s better for the environment to bury it in the desert or to burn the methane to send it to space…

However - If we are serious about space travel, using government funding to study and pilot programs for sending nuclear waste into space doesn’t seem like the worst idea. To me it lands somewhere below improving our healthcare, education, and infrastructure… but above the needless wars abroad.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

IT'S NOT OPEN! 34 fucking years, and it's still not open

(a)In general
    (1)The Secretary shall provide for an orderly phase-out of site specific activities at all candidate sites other than the Yucca Mountain site.
    (2)The Secretary shall terminate all site specific activities (other than reclamation activities) at all candidate sites, other than the Yucca Mountain site, within 90 days after December 22, 1987.
    (b)Eligibility to enter into benefits agreement
    Effective on December 22, 1987, the State of Nevada shall be eligible to enter into a benefits agreement with the Secretary under section 10173 of this title.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/10172

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yucca shut down.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	388977
    https://www.nei.org/advocacy/make-re...d-nuclear-fuel
    Again, saying "lets dump our waste in Nevada so we can keep living as we have and not have to really deal with our own shit" is some serious BS. Nevada may seem like a desolate wasteland to the unfamiliar but there's plenty of people living out there that feel different or poor enough to be taken advantage of for some money.

Don't shit on Nevada.

California is fucked already. Keep it there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Again, saying "lets dump our waste in Nevada so we can keep living as we have and not have to really deal with our own shit" is some serious BS. Nevada may seem like a desolate wasteland to the unfamiliar but there's plenty of people living out there that feel different or poor enough to be taken advantage of for some money.

Don't shit on Nevada.

Good luck with stopping eminent domain from taking more land from Native Americans for such worthy purposes. I'd bet today's Supreme Court would roll back to the Oklahoma cases as prescient to uphold more land grabs with Israel cheering us on from the sidelines.

Some issues are technological problem: making fusion work. Others are political problems: putting spent fission fuel into the safest place we know of.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

Don't shit on Nevada.

We are talking about something so benign a passerby wouldn’t even know they were near it but for the signs. Truck the waste there in the super safe containers that are purpose built just for this and able to withstand a 80 mph crash. I’ll take the odd nuclear waste cleanup every 100 years over constant pollution from coal, natural gas, batteries etc.