Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

At this point I think it is geo-engineer or 3-4 degrees c of temperature increase by 2125, meters of sea rise, etc.
    Maybe so. I am not very confident that society and humanity as we currently recognize it will be the same in 104 years. FWIW I am not certain America will be recognizable in 50 years.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I’m from the earth day generation. Mad me sad and depressed for years at deforestation and rampant development.

Now I’ve gotten to the fuckit stage. No way to control the human parasites
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’m from the earth day generation. Mad me sad and depressed for years at deforestation and rampant development.

I'm confused. I remember Earth Day too. Are you implying that they got rid of Earth Day, or just that no one cares about it anymore?

Yeah, no one seems to care. Some individuals care. But corporations and governments are pigs at the trough of the final barbecue
    I used to feel guilty. But now I just live. I try in small ways to limit my footprint. But I can’t be guilted into suicide if all the rich fuckers in their gulf stream jets (or rockets into space) could care less.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    FWIW I am not certain America will be recognizable in 10 years.
    Fixed it for you

Climate Change

The latest science says we are headed for 3 degrees of warming. Catastrophic, but better than 4. 1.5 is still possible but not at all likely. Recent national pledges would get us to 2.4 - if acted upon, which is a big if. I'm not giving up hope we stay below 2 degrees, but even at that temp shit will be bad. Food and water shortages, fires, droughts, flooding, sea level rise -- all leading to mass migrations that will destabilize nations. Start hoarding cash by 2030. Shits gonna get real.
    Last edited by WMD; 07-28-2021 at 09:37 PM.

Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Geo-engineering might be the way to go, but I sincerely doubt there is anyway to reach a consensus at this point on the best solution for that. In fact, we have been geo-engineering over the past century and a half, just unknowingly for the first half, and negligently for the remainder of time. The question is always going to be, what are the consequences for whatever bandaid we try in the near term to reverse our colossal fuckup?
    Yep, we've been geo-engineering for a while and it hasn't worked out all that well. It would be way better to just leave carbon in the ground. The unknown consequences of more geo-engineering are terrifying. And you can bet geo-engineering would be used to benefit some (us) at the expense of others.
    Last edited by WMD; 07-28-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Yep, we've been geo-engineering for a while and it hasn't worked out all that well. It would be way better to just leave carbon in the ground. The unknown consequences of more geo-engineering are terrifying. And you can bet geo-engineering would be used to benefit some (us) at the expense of others.
    Sad/irritating but true. How about we establish reliable geo-engineering methods on Mars first before we play Russian roulette with our one and only planet?

Geo-engineering seems scary and highly uncertain to me. But shit will be changing regardless of what we do. IMO, as part of any solution, the wealthier of the world needs to be ready to adapt and to mobilize and help the displaced. I’m not sure how that will happen in reality.

We could wait for the next several enormous volcanic eruptions that deposit a shit ton of iron into the oceans or a bunch ferns into all the large freshwater waterbodies of the world: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azolla_event

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

I am with you. Humanity will not do shit until it is beyond to late for most of the planet. You youngsters better be working on your Visa to New Zealand, Australia, the UK or Ireland as I read today those countries will be the least effected by the Climate Catastrophe.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Geo engineering has varying degrees of intervention. Low grade would be reforestation of vast areas of land. High grade is put a solar screen in orbit to filter sunlight. Personally I think we should be doing small scale tests of geo engineering now so we have long running tests to identify unforeseen consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The latest science says we are headed for 3 degrees of warming. Catastrophic, but better than 4. 1.5 is still possible but not at all likely. Recent national pledges would get us to 2.4 - if acted upon, which is a big if. I'm not giving up hope we stay below 2 degrees, but even at that temp shit will be bad. Food and water shortages, fires, droughts, flooding, sea level rise -- all leading to mass migrations that will destabilize nations. Start hoarding cash by 2030. Shits gonna get real.
    What good will cash do if there’s no government to back it?

Friend of mine--geophysicist recently resigned from Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, who does carbon storage projects around the world for a living--says that capture and storage will have marginal impact due to lack of scalability. Better think of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    What good will cash do if there’s no government to back it?

Good point. Maybe invest in cattle or goats, or just dried food? I just think markets could collapse leading to lots of people losing everything.

Good point. Maybe invest in cattle or goats, or just dried food? I just think markets could collapse leading to lots of people losing everything.
    Or they’re losing nothing, you know, fiat currency

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Friend of mine--geophysicist recently resigned from Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, who does carbon storage projects around the world for a living--says that capture and storage will have marginal impact due to lack of scalability. Better think of something else.
    Gotta rely on nature for that until the technology improves. Plants and algae are really good at capture and storage.

The something else is to leave fossil fuels in the ground.

The religious breeders will not like that. In fact, very few people will like that at all.
    The truth hurts.

This is why I think it is silly when people claim Americans having kids are the problem with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Gotta rely on nature for that until the technology improves. Plants and algae are really good at capture and storage.
    Plants (algae are plants) produced all the oxygen in the atmosphere. I read that if all the plants disappeared it would take only about a thousand years for all the free oxygen gas to disappear as the elements oxidized. Trouble is, all the plants can't keep up, and we keep cutting them down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CE88995F-37E0-4A3F-B263-9BB0B84DC8F6.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	619.4 KB 
ID:	381226

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Geo engineering has varying degrees of intervention. Low grade would be reforestation of vast areas of land. High grade is put a solar screen in orbit to filter sunlight. Personally I think we should be doing small scale tests of geo engineering now so we have long running tests to identify unforeseen consequences.

The next big volcanic eruption is just a blip in geologic time away.

Climate Change

If you were a billionaire, wouldn’t you want to be on the leading edge of the technological requirements needed to support human life in the future? Having a private space race is not what I’m talking about - that’s probably way, way farther down the line.

Carbon sequestration, more efficient farming practices, etc are what come to mind. We are talking about completely new large scale industries here. If you have the funds available to get out ahead of this stuff, wouldn’t you be doing it?..

Climate Change

A new Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report comes out Monday. No need to wait to hear what it says. This guy got an advance copy - strangely it is only 1 paragraph long:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 3.37.55 PM.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	381791