Page 39 of 72 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

The point I have been trying to make is that things like installing charging stations in apartment parking lots and on the street and increasing the frequency and routes of mass transit are not going to happen without major government intervention and spending on a scale orders of magnitude higher than the Inflation Reduction Act and that is going to mean a huge increase in taxes with a top marginal tax rate of 90%--as it was in the 50's and early 60's--and a wealth tax.

It's so easy to propose solutions and skip over the details of how we get there.

^^^

Yep. And that’s why anyone who says they want to fight climate change but vote GOP is a liar. The GOP is even an outlier when compared to conservative parties worldwide. Dems aren’t exactly perfect but they’re the only party in this country even trying. The logistics behind trying to fight climate change are beyond massive, way more mobilization than WW2 and on a global scale with governments working together. I’m not exactly optimistic. Maybe fusion will bail us out. Or an asteroid.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

^^^ There is always some jackass with magic beans for sale that fucks it up for everyone else.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

FWIW a couple developers i work with/for are starting to provide additional EV charging stations on their urban apartment complex buildings. Whole floors of underground parking will be EV. Its looked at as an ammenity more desireable than pickleball courts and shitty 10'x10' "dog parks".

Also, the thinking for urban sites like that is that an EV doesnt need to charge everyday as the residents are only commuting a few miles each day (they are already living in the urban core after all), whereas an EV owner in the subburbs or rural areas would need to charge far more often.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The point I have been trying to make is that things like installing charging stations in apartment parking lots and on the street and increasing the frequency and routes of mass transit are not going to happen without major government intervention and spending on a scale orders of magnitude higher than the Inflation Reduction Act and that is going to mean a huge increase in taxes with a top marginal tax rate of 90%--as it was in the 50's and early 60's--and a wealth tax.

It's so easy to propose solutions and skip over the details of how we get there.
    Wow, you mean back when America was "Great""? Humm, you'd think the red hat crowd would be all in on that since they're all in on everything else being the way it was in the 50s.. except unions, taxes, common sense gun control, etc...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Wow, you mean back when America was "Great""? Humm, you'd think the red hat crowd would be all in on that since they're all in on everything else being the way it was in the 50s.. except unions, taxes, common sense gun control, etc...
    Well, they're working on it. They've got abortion back to where it was, at least!

Genius.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1663440190.894538.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	385.1 KB 
ID:	426668

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

David Gelles asked World Bank president a simple question that he wouldn't answer. Not surprising.

https://twitter.com/dgelles/status/1...m0-8voLcQ&s=19

Katherine Hayhoe reposted this thread from 2018 in response.

https://twitter.com/KHayhoe/status/1...YAW1TL9dg&s=19

She shuts down the deniers fake arguments one by one. Simple and concise. Reminder why interacting with trolls and deniers on here and elsewhere is a complete waste of breath.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    David Gelles asked World Bank president a simple question that he wouldn't answer. Not surprising.

https://twitter.com/dgelles/status/1...m0-8voLcQ&s=19

Katherine Hayhoe reposted this thread from 2018 in response.

https://twitter.com/KHayhoe/status/1...YAW1TL9dg&s=19

She shuts down the deniers fake arguments one by one. Simple and concise. Reminder why interacting with trolls and deniers on here and elsewhere is a complete waste of breath.
    Can't find the damn like button!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Not a Jong but the miserable banned Glademaster thinking he’s welcome here after hoping other maggots die.
    He’s only back to spread more hate.
    I was wondering where Glade went. Did his daddy ever buy him that overpriced fancy house on Ruedi Shores during the Pandemic Paranoid Property Explosion last summer?
    Last edited by Percy Rideout; 09-21-2022 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    I was wondering where Glade went. Did his daddy ever buy him that overpriced fancy house on Ruedi Shores during the Pandemic Paranoid Property Explosion last summer?
    I think I was "friends" with this dude on Facebook. A few years back I put a post up to see if anyone had some used skis I could buy for the season and that dude went off accusing me of trying to take advantage of people because I was a trust funder and yada yada. It was seriously mean af and so hateful. What a miserable, sorry SOAB that dude is.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Interesting article on the history of water rights in the south western United States.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/colum...130005432.html
    dirtbag, not a dentist

John Wesley Powell must have turned over in his grave when the Colorado River Compact was signed.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Genius.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1663440190.894538.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	385.1 KB 
ID:	426668

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    LOL. Sloan makes something sort of like this. Powers the sensor that turns on the faucet.

https://www.airdelights.com/3324094.html

Hurricanes hits Canada and typhoon hits Alaska. Shit's getting real.

Hurricanes hits Canada and typhoon hits Alaska. Shit's getting real.
    Dogs and cats living in sin!
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Not a Jong but the miserable banned Glademaster thinking he’s welcome here after hoping other maggots die.
    He’s only back to spread more hate.
    Huh!
    Yet the 3x'r can state he wishes that the Tuc's house had burned down w/ him in it for stating the dude wasn't being smart renting his basement w/ a known fire hazard and not addressing the issue.
    Not that I wanted the dude banned, but maybe some words(or short timeout) on what's not appropriate to post

listen. I 100000% agree with your last statement. There are tons of proposed solutions and little way to get there. I am for EVs for a lot of people, it’s perfect. They won’t work for me doing construction yet or living where I travel a couple hundred miles in a day doing something for work.

Old Goat brings up the most valid points of all though. California and western states where the cities have been developed in the last 50 years are very different then east coast cities that were developed 250 years ago. Boston is a very standout place. Between the road system or lack there of, lack of parking, super tight streets, and tons of other utilities that are buried and antiquated already, bringing so much more electricity to charge vehicles will be very very expensive.

Is there technology for solar car chargers? Like essentially portable charging stations that have a battery in them to hold a certain amount of charge and a solar panel to charge the batteries back up after said EV is plugged in? It would seem to cut cost in infrastructure, staying above ground would be the cheapest way. So maybe some time of portable charging station needs to come to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Huh!
    Yet the 3x'r can state he wishes that the Tuc's house had burned down w/ him in it for stating the dude wasn't being smart renting his basement w/ a known fire hazard and not addressing the issue.
    Not that I wanted the dude banned, but maybe some words(or short timeout) on what's not appropriate to post

sounds like a bunch of babies. Go drive to his shit hole and punch him in the mouth and get the fuck over it.

I'm over it, don't you worry toughguy

I'm over it, don't you worry toughguy

im not worried about it. Nor am I a tough guy. But I’m also not a full grown man whining to moderators to punish another full grown man for hurtful words like some 5 year olds on a play ground.

Me either

Me either

i guess my reading comprehension is lacking.

Yep.

Got 0 lingering issues w/ the guy! I'd rather ski w/ guy than fight 'em.
    And yeah, I agree, we both acted like 6 yr old assholes in that thread

Sorry for thread drift, carry on.....

John Wesley Powell must have turned over in his grave when the Colorado River Compact was signed.
    How about we exhume his body, throw a magnet on him, wrap his coffin in copper. It’ll create enough green electricity to replace the Glen Canyon Dam.