Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

I agree with Shellenberger in that we should pursue nuclear more then wind and solar. Sorry if that offends anyone.
    That does not offend anyone looking for real world answers and in fact has been espoused in this thread numerous times. And you think all Ted Talks are 100% bullshit free? How nice.

But yet again you are trolling for an argument.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    Truckee is having a meeting this Thursday at the Rec Center from 5-7pm. The Town looking for community feedback on whether all new construction should be fossil fuel free. Get out there! Moreover, if your children are interested in climate change, it is a good chance to teach local civic engagement.

https://www.townoftruckee.com/Home/C...2Fnews-updates

If Crested Butte can do it, so can Truckee. 25% of buildings in the US are already all-electric. Norway is at 100% (though they are a culture that loves burning wood when it is really cold.) Making a building all-electric when building it is just the smart way to do it. Annoying to retrofit later...though we'll have to do that too.

Cheers,
    Shaft
    Currently state building code requires all new construction to be full-electric ready, so retrofitting shouldn't be too annoying--but if someone is already going to the expense of making a building all electric ready I imagine most will go ahead and make it all electric now, especially given the cost of a NG hookup. Fortunately wood isn't a fossil fuel--not for a few millions of years. (I would hope that if Truckee does pass an all electric code that wood stoves be allowed as an alternative heat source for multi-day power outages. )

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    That does not offend anyone looking for real world answers and in fact has been espoused in this thread numerous times. And you think all Ted Talks are 100% bullshit free? How nice.

But yet again you are trolling for an argument.
    Never said anything about ted talks being BS fee but ok.

hope we get the renewables sorted and we can enjoy this planet for many more generations

anyways thanks ya'll for making this thread, not sure I have much to contribute so Im bowing out

-laters

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    What about the rich refugees? I'm more concerned about everyone who can afford to flee the southwest trying to move to Idaho over the next decade. Seems like that is already happening. Our climate refugees drive Porsches.
    I’m seeing people flee to Michigan, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Maine.

Here are the 10 states with the fastest growth rates:

Utah - 1.53%
    Idaho - 1.45%
    Texas - 1.35%
    North Dakota - 1.35%
    Nevada - 1.28%
    Colorado - 1.27%
    Washington - 1.26%
    Florida - 1.25%
    Arizona - 1.05%
    South Carolina - 0.95%
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...growing-states
    MAGA gotta MAGA.. Or more correctly employers are moving/expanding places where their tax rates are lowest.. That's the welfare queen red states..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Currently state building code requires all new construction to be full-electric ready, so retrofitting shouldn't be too annoying--but if someone is already going to the expense of making a building all electric ready I imagine most will go ahead and make it all electric now, especially given the cost of a NG hookup. Fortunately wood isn't a fossil fuel--not for a few millions of years. (I would hope that if Truckee does pass an all electric code that wood stoves be allowed as an alternative heat source for multi-day power outages. )
    Dang - Old Goat is an OG! Agree. Wood as backup heat in rural areas is just sound climate accounting - and I can't see a world where that is disallowed. However, I think a lot of construction going on right now in the region includes gas. If used as the primary heating fuel, that's a decade-plus of emissions.

Make your voice heard - we need ya! Truckee failed to pass this last go-around.

-----
    Others, I generally recommend we stop responding to saboteurs in this thread. It is just making it hard to follow the thread - which is the goal. "Humor" is clearly not the goal because nothing has elicited laughter.

Climate Change

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Dr. A, your last post I wholeheartedly supported.
    This one I do not.
    This thread has been remarkable in that folks are civil yet thinking outside the box some.
    I for one am learning a lot from more educated types and have enjoyed the lack of adolescent posts.
    A lil respect here, please...
    I think you and mar are on the same page actually.

Given the comment I was responding to, your issue with it sounds like a personal problem. I wish you the best working through it, but I don't care to hear any more about it.

Hopefully people will go all electric now as it would be more expensive and more wasteful to put in gas now and then yank it out and throw it away to replace it with electric in a few years. Because of cost to retrofit, most who go gas now will maximize their investment by keeping it as long as possible. On a planet where we must cut emissions in half by 2030 to avoid the worst impacts, we don't have that time.

RE: stats about states with greatest % population increases....

Misleading data is misleading.

Many of those states have such a small population to begin with that a couple of hundred people moving in makes a measurable % difference, bigger population states, not so much.

Just buy more guns and ammo, right? Or maybe that’s what the lefties are doing so better double down right? Right?

Current new townhomes in my neighborhood going for 1.3 mill.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    RE: stats about states with greatest % population increases....

Misleading data is misleading.

Many of those states have such a small population to begin with that a couple of hundred people moving in makes a measurable % difference, bigger population states, not so much.
    OK Total domestic migration by people, not %...

U.S. states by net domestic migration (From June 1, 2021 to June 1, 2022)
    National
    rank State Total net domestic migration
    (2021–2022)[1] Net domestic migration rate
    per 1,000 inhabitants
    1 Florida 220,890 10.14
    2 Texas 170,307 5.77
    3 Arizona 93,026 12.78
    4 North Carolina 88,673 8.40
    5 South Carolina 64,833 12.49
    6 Tennessee 61,390 8.80
    7 Georgia 50,632 4.69
    8 Idaho 48,876 25.71
    9 Utah 32,200 9.65
    10 Nevada 25,327 8.06
    11 Oklahoma 24,687 6.19
    12 Alabama 22,136 4.39
    13 Montana 19,240 17.42
    14 Arkansas 16,016 5.29
    15 Maine 15,473 11.28
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._net_migration
    I figured KakaLaki would be there. We've got Apple, Amazon, and some supersonic jet company coming here..

Buying ammo is always a good idea.

Run with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVzld8ES9hQ&t=124s
    watch out for snakes

Patagonia founder has a slightly more productive retirement plan than the MyPillow guy - https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/c...chouinard.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    Given the comment I was responding to, your issue with it sounds like a personal problem. I wish you the best working through it, but I don't care to hear any more about it.
    Fuck you, jong.
    Hope you didn't have kids.
    Sorry for them if you did...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Fuck you, jong.
    Hope you didn't have kids.
    Sorry for them if you did...
    Not a Jong but the miserable banned Glademaster thinking he’s welcome here after hoping other maggots die.
    He’s only back to spread more hate.

One problem with ev's is that a lot of people who live in apartments, central city neighborhoods, etc have no place to charge a car at home. Not everyone lives in the burbs with a roomy two car garage. A lot of people have to park on the street or in parking lots and garages without outlets or charging stations--does the landlord have to install a charging station for each stall? (And a lot of us with garages have no room for cars in them.)

One problem with ev's is that a lot of people who live in apartments, central city neighborhoods, etc have no place to charge a car at home. Not everyone lives in the burbs with a roomy two car garage. A lot of people have to park on the street or in parking lots and garages without outlets or charging stations--does the landlord have to install a charging station for each stall? (And a lot of us with garages have no room for cars in them.)
    Battery swapping.
    HAS to be in the conversation for EV's and EV infrastructure.

Agree. Huge problem and renters are not well-represented during development or during policy meetings. I was a renter with an EV (Fiat 500e) in a somewhat urban area (OB, San Diego) for 5 years. My experience:
    -Had off-street parking in both locations
    -First location - I paid for the installation of an L2 outlet ($400) and charger ($650) at the first house. It was nice to have. The charger came with me and currently sits, unused. We typically charged with the car parked outside the garage in a quasi-driveway alley-stop.
    -Second location - L2 charger install would've been $1,500 and I did not like my landlord. Would not pay it. We charged Level 1 with an above-average commute for 4 years without many problems. Having a second vehicle helped on 5-10 occasions. Note - not all parking spaces have L1 outlets.
    -Not ever going to a gas-station was awesome, and something you only realize when you have to go back to one.

We are talking about 3-4 subcategories here, each with some solutions:
    New construction, multi-family - we propose 25% of spaces get a Level 2 charging station (or outlet) during construction, with 50% Automated Load Management (ALMS) encouraged to save site elec. capacity requirements, and a dedicated L1 outlet for the remaining 75% of spaces.

Existing construction, multi-family with parking- PG&E is now required to cover the capacity upgrade costs of adding EV to existing buildings. That's a big win. The remaining costs are site electrical, trenching, the charging station. $2k per port is a good target depending on how payment is structured and wall vs. pedestal mounted charging stations.. We'll need to add them in blocks. 10-20 ports at a time.

Existing construction, renter, without off-street parking - Tough one. The building was built without parking - which is no longer legal, and it was built without the electric infra. Double whammy. Public overnight L2 coupled with DCFC is my proposed solution to this one. I've had some charging stations installed with this in mind, but they don't get much use.

That's what I see as some cost-conscious approaches. When we started driving ICE cars we pumped the gas right out of tanks. We still do in some places. I recently filled a scooter with gas out of a re-used 40 oz. When Mercedes started selling turbo-diesel wagons, they came with guides to finding rare American diesel stations. This is going to take time, and, as usual, renters are the hardest to serve and with the least voice in the conversation. We will absolutely get there. It's a problem, and it costs money, but it is not outrageously complicated from a technical perspective.

Just my 2c

Technically not a problem. But who pays? The landlord, tenant, govt? What about townhouses in Boston, as an example, where street parking is the only parking, and you may be parked a considerable distance from your house. Will the city put in a charging station at every parking spot.? All electric is probably unrealistic IF it means replacing every ICV with EV. A much better investment would be greatly expanding mass transit, vehicle sharing for longer trips, etc. The places where EV might be the most problematic are the places where it makes the most sense for people not to own their own cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishskisurf View Post
    Battery swapping.
    HAS to be in the conversation for EV's and EV infrastructure.
    I've been all in on this as well.. But, it also probably creates a monopoly of some form top to bottom. Roads and parking lots working as wireless vehicle charging pads is another tech I'd like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    So his tedtalks presentation there is all just complete BS then? And the exploitation of cobalt miners and the negative environmental impacts on their farmlands is all just BS?

I agree with Shellenberger in that we should pursue nuclear more then wind and solar. Sorry if that offends anyone.
    As a scientist that has even (briefly) worked on climate, I will just say the following:

1) Yes, a lot of TED talks are BS. Don't know about this one specifically, but I would take any of them with a grain of salt.

2) The "asking questions" schtick is really off-putting. It's okay to ask good-faith questions about things you don't understand. That is what makes good science! It is not okay to use unresearched "questions" you have as a debate tactic. Your own lack of research is not a valid argumentative point. And to those who know a bit more on the subject, it comes off as incredibly arrogant. Some guy in 45 minutes of searching the internet thinks he has the answer to a problem that hordes of scientists, some of whom are very smart, and some of whom have dedicated their entire life's work to a subject just missed? Or never considered? Solar forcing is a very well understood concept, and very well studied. The oscillations in heat from the sun, and the trends thereof have been accounted for in models for decades now. It's not new.

3) I agree wholeheartedly we should have started building a lot more nuclear reactors about 20 years ago.

Well said; thank you.

Technically not a problem. But who pays? The landlord, tenant, govt?
    Depends on the circumstance. I would personally tend to push the costs towards the one with more means in the tenant/landlord relationship. This is typically the one with the feudalistic title. For low-to-moderate income homes, utility programs and government programs will (and often already do) foot the bill. This is a MUCH smaller cost than adding a lane to the 405. If we can spend it on roads, we can likely spend it on infra. The cost of a port is about 1 months rent, or 1/20th the cost of a new car, or a backcountry ski setup. It's an annoying cost, but not astronomical if done in a smart way.

Yes, "mode-shift" is the better approach. If public transit remains slower than using vehicles, there's an equity issue there - but there always has been.

What about townhouses in Boston, as an example, where street parking is the only parking, and you may be parked a considerable distance from your house. Will the city put in a charging station at every parking spot.?
    Brownstones and rowhomes are more a planning question than a charging question. If you assume ICE is not allowed and home charging is the approach, then the way parking currently works in these communities may need to change. These homes were built without considering the car in the modern context. As you referenced, public transit or other mode-shifts like bicycling might be the best path-forward for these specific cases.

Planning questions to this level are going to have a variety of opinions and be pretty difficult to suss out. Someone will be unhappy for a bit, and either move away or age out of car ownership.

Again, just my opinions.