Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1777

Thread: Climate Change

Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/fore...ires-1.4444998

"Bigger, hotter wildfires are ravaging forests and burning them to the ground more frequently as the climate gets hotter and drier. Now a new study shows that in some places in the U.S., those forests may never grow back."
    Okay, I’m just telling you what I see. A study saying that the forests MAY never grow back isn’t definitive. No?

The areas I’m talking about are in Wilderness. No tree planting or other management. The entire forest burned and nothing but ash on the ground, all duff gone. Vegetation is coming back, wildflowers, then brush like sage, ceanothus, ocean spray and berries. Next the pine, fir, larch and aspen shows up.

I’m sure climate change will have an impact in the future but right now that’s not what I see on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sidebar:
    Commercial forest farming has developed ways to pattern out land to keep producing wood for lumber, paper etc. It seems like the issue of creating forests is not necessarily a wait-for-nature timeline if it’s used strategically.
    [this does not obviate the need for natural spaces at all…just pointing out that we have an industry that understands how to create forest quickly and repetitively]

It’s not a one size solution. As kocher points out in the Twitter thread linked upstream, some forest species, like lodgepole pine, need hot fire for seed germination, while other trees, like pondo pine, need living trees nearby for germination.

There are tree plantation methods that forest scientists and fire ecologists believe can allow for silviculture to occur with minimized wildfire hazard. The term “pyrosilviculture” is used often. Many private timber property owners/managers do not practice this method, apparently, because of liability. One of the common silviculture practices creates high potential for high severity wildfire.

We just need more nuclear plants, located in your backyard, not mine

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    We just need more nuclear plants, located in your backyard, not mine
    That’s it. Everyone wants to save the planet, until it affects them personally.

If the trees aren’t going to grow back on their own, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to try to force it. You’re just making more vulnerable fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Climate Change

Whatever grows back, without maintenance, will become vulnerable fuel.The concept in California by the new wildfire and forest resilience task force is to replant, restore, and maintain. Replanting does not necessarily mean dense tree plantations of traditionally marketable trees.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Climate Change

^^^so the whole east coast will be inundated by those lethal worms soon? Phenomenal.

Has anyone seen the movie Interstellar? Can’t help to think that with the way things are going, the scenario on earth in the movie is where we’re headed

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Windfarm 'clean' energy lobby is going to ensure that all these deaths have nothing to do with them and we need more offshore wind farms.

This summer has actually been a little better for not having a shitload of seaweed where I am than the previous 2.

How do wind farms grow the deadly worms or the toxic algae?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How do wind farms grow the deadly worms or the toxic algae?
    They block the wind making the ocean hotter to bloom more algae DUH! Don't you know any idiots still all in on climate change denial? There's always that one guy... and it's always a guy..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Terrifying stats:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	621.5 KB 
ID:	465725

100 degree water temp is nuts, I had no idea it got anywhere near that.

Hurricane season may be spicy this year. Dam

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Hurricane season may be spicy this year. Dam
    Once El Nino settles down, shit's gonna get fucked up. Something about windshear that it's currently causing which breaks up tropical storm development in the Atlantic.

We go diving from time to time down in Key Largo. The reefs aren't even close to what they used to be - very colourless and more dead-looking every year.

That seems... less than ideal.

"Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

We're actually much closer to this than we were in 2015 and they're still out there..

Climate Change Deniers Present Graphic Description Of What Earth Must Look Like For Them To Believe
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    We're actually much closer to this than we were in 2015 and they're still out there..

Climate Change Deniers Present Graphic Description Of What Earth Must Look Like For Them To Believe

Is it bad that I believed that the article was true until I saw that it was from the Onion?

Seems to me a complete collapse of the thermohaline currents require seawater temps and salinity to equalize across the planet - both at the surface and at depth. Which kinda requires at a minimum, all arctic ice to melt.

The more likely scenario is the currents remain but the rollover point in the N Atlantic is pushed south by melting ice in Arctic and Greenland. Europe and N America cools, shit gets worse in tropics

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

I laffed.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Seems to me a complete collapse of the thermohaline currents require seawater temps and salinity to equalize across the planet - both at the surface and at depth. Which kinda requires at a minimum, all arctic ice to melt.

The more likely scenario is the currents remain but the rollover point in the N Atlantic is pushed south by melting ice in Arctic and Greenland. Europe and N America cools, shit gets worse in tropics
    Yep. And conservatives everywhere are going to lose their minds when climate forced migration begins in mass towards northern zones. Amazingly the GOP is the ONLY political party in the developed world that still says climate change isn’t real. Even the new fascist parties in Europe acknowledge it. A vote for the GOP is a vote fuck the entire planet.