Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

I take all my plastic bags and shred them up into fine dust then sprinkle them about in the backcountry so they can become part of the earth again. #ecowarrior

I'm glad to see awareness brought to this issue as well, in any form. It does seem to blow my mind that this isn't more of a concern to any business that bases its product off cold temperatures and frozen water. I would guess that like any big corporation they are supporting politicians and policies that won't require them to provide basic benefits to their workers, equal pay for their staff, paying their fair share of the impact their business has on public roads and infrastructure and of course paying higher wages to the seasonal staff they employ each year (I'm sure you could add many more "job creating" bullshit policies to this list). They don't seem to mind that those politicians also will vote for and support policy and industry that is causing the decline and ultimate death of their industry.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    this is the main issue, most agree that climate change is occurring but an individual does not have enough of an impact to make a difference and the corporations that run our country view any progress towards renewable energy as a threat to their industry and politicians are too tied up in corporate money to take a stand.... BASICALLY our species is fucked, but our lifespans are too short to see the outcome so you can call me chicken little because neither of us will be around for the demise. but the rising temps don't lie and neither do the extinction rates that are currently occurring on our planet. by the time, homo sapiens as a whole get around to realizing what has happened it will be too late to reverse it.
    In New Zealand I think we are already seeing a massive effect on the ski industry. We don't get a lot of snow on the mountains and so notice it when the fields can't upen until mid winter because they only have 30 cm of snow. The problem at the moment is that skiing is just an activity that people do for fun, and doesn't affect most people's daily lives. The worst thing is that we can see it happening, but it doesn't affect enough people and therefore nothing gets done.

Earth has it's hottest year in the last couple thousand years, for the third year in a row. http://www.nbcnews.com/science/scien...w-noaa-n708386

we could not have better evidence of the complete selfishness and incompetence of u.s. adults since at least the greatest generation.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...incart_gallery

"I am extremely concerned about climate change," Clark, 12, told the committees.

"I have read reports from the IPCC, the EPA and NASA," he continued, "and they all point to effects such as crop failure, collapse of the ecosystem, diseases like malaria and Zika that are carried by mosquitoes, droughts, wildfires, floods, hurricanes, sea level rise resulting in millions of climate refugees and economy collapse and a world not suitable for life and that's not a pessimistic view."

When someone in the audience chuckled after that line, Clark pressed on, undeterred. "That sounds more like an apocalypse than my future," he said. "But it is my future."

His dad, Chris Clark, said over email that Jeremy Clark has been fighting climate change since he read a National Geographic article on the subject in fourth grade. When he was in fifth grade, he and his friend, Charlie Abrams, started the environmentalist blog Two Green Leaves.

In 2016, Abrams and Clark lobbied their state representatives, asking them to pass "the healthy climate bill" in Oregon.

Near the end of his testimony, Clark, who attends Northwest Academy, told the committees, "When most of the people in this room were a kid they didn't have to worry about things like that, but I do."

"I know that I can't enforce that you do this," he finished. "But I urge that you do for the general welfare of citizens."

Brad Reed, spokesperson for Renew Oregon said over email Friday, "Jeremy was one of more than 60 people and experts to testify in favor of the bills."

Reed said the only person to testify against the bills was "a lobbyist from an industries group, who had the unfortunate timing of having to testify immediately after Jeremy."

At the end of Clark's testimony, someone can be heard commenting to the lobbyist, "You can follow that act."

"No kidding," the lobbyist replies.

Scott Pruitt's office deluged with angry callers after he questions the science of global warming
    https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...f-e8c79ac2f80c

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt’s phones have been ringing off the hook — literally — since he questioned the link between human activity and climate change.

The calls to Pruitt’s main line, 202-564-4700, reached such a high volume by Friday that agency officials created an impromptu call center, according to three agency employees. The officials asked for anonymity out of fear of retaliation.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...s-own-website/

Meanwhile, dumbass Pruitt says that he doesn't think humans are the primary cause of climate change but offers zero evidence for his position. Does he have new physics to disagree with the greehouse theory? Does he not think that human pollution causes co2 increases in the atmosphere?

Quite interesting. Much of the literature shows the oceans are reaching the limit of their ability to absorb CO2.

Gotta wonder if conditions in high latitude have an impact on co2 uptake

Warmer waters have a decreased capacity to absorb CO2

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/OceanCarbon/
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Looks like Trump is pulling out of the Paris agreement

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Looks like Trump is pulling out of the Paris agreement
    Fucking asshole

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    Should poor people in developing countries be denied the opportunity to improve their lot if it conflicts with global climate change initiatives? If people in developing economies refuse to sacrifice, rendering the overall global effort ineffective, should people in 1st world countries be prepared to sacrifice anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by rsknight1 View Post
    Should poor people in developing countries be denied the opportunity to improve their lot if it conflicts with global climate change initiatives? If people in developing economies refuse to sacrifice, rendering the overall global effort ineffective, should people in 1st world countries be prepared to sacrifice anyway?
    Somebody needs to google the numbers from India, China, and Africa with regard to leap frogging.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yes.

If we shit in the bed, the bed is full of shit. No one wants to sleep in a shitty bed.

And no poor people in developing countries are improving their lot in conflict with global climate change initiative. It is rich people in developing countries, or outside investors, who are improving their lot in conflict wit global climate change initiatives. And fuck those people. Their lot is fine enough.

Q: Who gets fucked the hardest in global climate change? A: generally, the people living near the equator.

Is that ^ the case? I thought I recall reading that the poles are the hardest hit

As polar ice melts continue to ramp and the concurrent rise in population continues equally unabated, the 'top fifty percent' will be defined as those standing on someone else's shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    ^ this. wow. double wow.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Is that ^ the case? I thought I recall reading that the poles are the hardest hit
    Depends on how you define hardest hit. Temperature change has been found to be strongest in the polar areas. Not a lot of people live in the polar areas compared to the tropics. How hard the hit is in human terms is mostly a question of vulnerability and resilience of human livelihoods and societies to environmental changes. The FAQ of the last IPCC report (Working Group 2) is a good place to start:
    Every society is vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, but the nature of that vulnerability varies across regions and communities, over time, and depends on unique socioeconomic and other conditions. Poorer communities tend to be more vulnerable to loss of health and life, while wealthier communities usually have more economic assets at risk.

There is also a bunch of stuff like this showing global climate change vulnerability by various definitions if you google.
    Last edited by klar; 05-29-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: tYpo
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

"it wanted plastic for itself"^

I find that video strange and the argument a deeply cynical one. Everything is all fucked up anyway so stop worrying! Also, I just so happen to live in a rich, first world country with a nice, middle-ground kinda climate. My life is not particularly vulnerable and at the same time very resilient to all the fucked up stuff.

It does not care about the plastic (one reason being that it is not sentient) but some people do make rather convincing arguments that large scale human suffering is not a desirable thing.

As far as simplified climate change messaging by celebrities goes, I prefer Arnold Schwarzenegger's approach.

^if i have drawn your ire,

i ain't about to be fucking w no klar, she brings the noise.

i can feel it

What draws my ire is our collective desire for simple answers to complicated questions and other creatures of fairytale that bring mostly imaginary noise.

fine, yes, we can have a child.

i love our pale blue dot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7NzjCmUf0&t=274s