Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

If the X Lab figures out how to build a space elevator, maybe we can just dump our trash and release all our fumes into space!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    If the X Lab figures out how to build a space elevator, maybe we can just dump our trash and release all our fumes into space!
    I foresee no problems whatsoever with this approach

Paris Climate Accord is law as of today - hopefully that is still the case next week

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016...te-change.html
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Psyched for the guys out Powder to have the balls to put something out like this... That being said, it would be good to have interviewed some of them, gotten the full picture of what execs are hoping for in return for these donations.
    Agreed. I appreciate the concern and advocacy, but it seems like there is an upward trend of itchy trigger fingers lately. I mean in society in general, but this seems like a good example.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Psyched for the guys out Powder to have the balls to put something out like this... I know a few ski area execs in particular are no doubt absolutely furious.

That being said, it would be good to have interviewed some of them, gotten the full picture of what execs are hoping for in return for these donations. I would imagine CC's pretty far down on the list of concerns/priorities for them, and I think that being the central point - instead of only highlighted in the last paragraph, briefly - would have sealed this article from criticism to a much larger degree. The loudest point is perhaps not that they're donating to so many Repubs, but that CC is not even a concern for them when it comes to their lobbying. You'd think we'd be there already with this industry.
    I think money speaks louder than words. What would interviewing these execs do, but let them lie about their motives? These companies have spoken, they all have "green" programs that do little to fight climate change while they're willing and dealing with the most corrupt politicians behind closed doors to help them maximize their profits now. Though I think they do acknowledge that climate change is occurring, they just would rather invest in summer activities, i.e. bike parks and amusement rides, than try to save winter.

the sad part is that if these companies that have a huge stake in fighting climate change aren't even getting on board, we are beyond fucked.

This shot of Alta/bird was taken this morning on my way up Flagstaff. Granted, that one year proves nothing it's pretty sad to see no snow on November, 13th. Great day for a hike though.

November 13th and my furnace has been dormant since last winter. Not that it proves anything but it was the hottest year ever following the hottest year ever. Trump appointing a coal lobbyist to run the EPA transition team is reassuring. Nothing to see here.

a issue a young skier should constantly be bothered by.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I'm really hopeful that efforts like Elon Musk's (the Gigafactory looks pretty promising) will help the world get off or seriously reduce the dependence on fossil fuels. However, will it be too late?
    I'm amazed how many people I meet that recognize climate change but then shrug their shoulders and say there's no way solar or wind could ever replace fossil fuels. Seriously? With that kind of attitude, we'd have never made much progress past the wheel.
    Have you read this? https://www.greatagain.gov/policy/en...ependence.html

NSAA response to Powder

The NSAA official response to the article in Powder, TGR won't accept the post with the link, but it is published at winter review dot com. They defend the industry practice of giving money to both sides, justifying it by saying that other companies do it and it's worth it to pursue water rights for mega resort "climate adaptation". It's all about the money

Quote Originally Posted by md7849 View Post
    It's all about the money
    Well no shit...

^ that was really cool, thanks for posting it

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

both powder and skiing suck!...err, r horribly written magazines

I subscribe to both while back for pictures and toilet reading-
    You usually want to wipe w the things though ,instead of reading them

One Skiing article actually suggested -Stealing poles >I sure some skiers remember that shame

I love how they mostly feature amenities to sell you, and the highest price equipments
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    I subscribe to both while back for pictures and toilet reading-
    You usually want to wipe w the things though ,instead of reading them

One Skiing article actually suggested -Stealing poles >I sure some skiers remember that shame

I love how they mostly feature amenities to sell you, and the highest price equipments
    eh powder occasionally has some really good shit in there. I like the jaded local in particular (mainly because I constantly finding myself relating) and i'm a big fan of drew tabke, so i enjoy his writings. though I don't subscribe to either magazines anymore. and I seriously can't get Ski magazine to stop sending me their publications though I do love reading their tips from the pros for some reason ha, not that I, the best skier on the mountain, needs any tips from some 'pro.'

I agree skiing and freeskiing are both complete garbage.

ski journalism is basically just a big circle jerk. the magazines are funded by ski resorts and companies, so they have very little incentive to shit on each other. shit most pro athletes contracts are written to get them more money based on them getting into said publications.

WHICH IS WHY I FIND THIS ARTICLE SO INTRIGUING..... a ski publication is basically going against the grain and shitting on a bunch of their advertisers to bring awareness to the sleeping elephant in the room....CLIMATE CHANGE. I APPLAUD POWDER FOR TRYING TO BRING THIS ISSUE TO THE FOREFRONT AND EXPOSE THE SKI INDUSTRY FOR GIVING TWO SHITS THAT THEIR INDUSTRY IS DYING.

this is the main issue, most agree that climate change is occurring but an individual does not have enough of an impact to make a difference and the corporations that run our country view any progress towards renewable energy as a threat to their industry and politicians are too tied up in corporate money to take a stand.... BASICALLY our species is fucked, but our lifespans are too short to see the outcome so you can call me chicken little because neither of us will be around for the demise. but the rising temps don't lie and neither do the extinction rates that are currently occurring on our planet. by the time, homo sapiens as a whole get around to realizing what has happened it will be too late to reverse it.
    Last edited by BRUTAH; 11-17-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Last edited by byates1; 11-17-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    eh powder occasionally has some really good shit in there. I like the jaded local in particular (mainly because I constantly finding myself relating) and i'm a big fan of drew tabke, so i enjoy his writings. though I don't subscribe to either magazines anymore. and I seriously can't get Ski magazine to stop sending me their publications though I do love reading their tips from the pros for some reason ha, not that I, the best skier on the mountain, needs any tips from some 'pro.'

ski journalism is basically just a big circle jerk. the magazines are funded by ski resorts and companies, so they have very little incentive to shit on each other. shit most pro athletes contracts are written to get them more money based on them getting into said publications.

WHICH IS WHY I FIND THIS ARTICLE SO INTRIGUING..... a ski publication is basically going against the grain and shitting on a bunch of their advertisers to bring awareness to the sleeping elephant in the room....CLIMATE CHANGE. I APPLAUD POWDER FOR TRYING TO BRING THIS ISSUE TO THE FOREFRONT AND EXPOSE THE SKI INDUSTRY FOR GIVING TWO SHITS THAT THEIR INDUSTRY IS DYING.

this is the main issue, most agree that climate change is occurring but an individual does not have enough of an impact to make a difference and the corporations that run our country view any progress towards renewable energy as a threat to their industry and politicians are too tied up in corporate money to take a stand.... BASICALLY our species is fucked, but our lifespans are too short to see the outcome so you can call me chicken little because neither of us will be around for the demise. but the rising temps don't lie and neither do the extinction rates that are currently occurring on our planet. by the time, homo sapiens as a whole get around to realizing what has happened it will be too late to reverse it.
    That was a lot of words but a good read and you nailed it.

Climate Change

I have a theory about climate change: most people think about it but get all excited when it's 75 and sunny in late fall/winter or early spring in places like NYC, Boston or Chicago. They, in turn, actually like that it's so nice and don't think to worry or take it more seriously. 75° at a Nov baseball game in Cleveland? Bring it on!

I agree there is definitely something to that psychology. What do we need bad winters for anyway?!?! I would wager some global politics fuckheads think thinning icecap may be a strategic advantage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post

lot of good shit in there. have been curious if peeps think we are the point of no return. sure seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    lot of good shit in there. have been curious if peeps think we are the point of no return. sure seems like it.
    Many of the experts feel we are on the edge but may not have gone over it yet:
    "Will Trump go down in history as the man who pulled the plug on a livable climate?
    https://thinkprogress.org/trump-vict...299#.ba0168fxw

Falling off the edge means no more livable climate. Skiing is going to take a big hit no matter what we do.

Agree on kudos to Powder and to Porter Fox, the author. Porter is an editor at Powder and yet has written a book called "Deep, the Story of Skiing and the Future of Snow" about climate change and skiing. As he says, skiing isn't the most important issue of climate change but if people like us, skiers, realize what is happening to our snow maybe that will motivate us to change to protect something we love.

Good on him for calling out ski industry execs. They need to be publicly embarrassed to the point they start acting responsibly. Most of them are no doubt old white dudes who will be long gone when there is no more skiing, so they just don't give a fuck. Shameful.

He's a good dude who ski bummed in Jackson years ago when I was there.

I got an idea gents:

Stop giving Vail your business
    Tour more
    Buy less fucking skis

Use less, vote with your wallet & you are doing what you can. If you're not willing to do that, stfu and adapt

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Buy less fucking skis
    Woah woah woah

Haha, I thought of you after typing that. Conservation has many forms!

Less tv
    Less product
    More focus on experience
    Less impact on the canvas