Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    I thought solar was pretty cool until I saw a large farm converted to solar. What an eyesore. Acres and acres of mirrors. Fuck that jazz.
    Well, I don't entirely disagree about the impacts of solar and wind farms but the affects of climate change are gonna be a whole lot more than an eyesore in our very near future.
    Last edited by raisingarizona13; 07-23-2022 at 09:46 PM.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    They were just following tobacco's lead and I imagine that similar machinations have gone on in the pharma industries.

I was thinking the same.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I thought solar was pretty cool until I saw a large farm converted to solar. What an eyesore. Acres and acres of mirrors. Fuck that jazz.
    Is a farm of corn planted in rows really that pretty? Is the water that flows off that land filled with mud and silt pretty? If you think that is awesome move to Iowa. Newsflash. Nobody wants to live here. The rivers are the most polluted in the nation from those row crops. It is one of the reason this place has been infiltrated by majority brainwashed morons. People with half a brain have and will continue to leave this shithole state.

A farm converted to solar produces 70 times the energy of the same size farm gowning corn that is converted to ethanol...which makes up a huge chunk of the corn acres planted in Iowa. So imagine driving by huge chunks of land that is reforested with prairie and swamps and wildlife because we aren't wasting it trying to get energy from ethanol, instead using a far smaller amount of land to meet our energy needs with solar and returning that land used to grow ethanol to capture carbon naturally.

No brainer.

And nothing is uglier than a mountain range exploding in out of control fires fueled by the effects of climate change.

Another newsflash. The corn belt isn't immune to fires. And when we burn, our food burns. And some ethanol corn but nobody will miss that garbage.

Conventional power plants are MUCH uglier.. And MUCH more polluting.. Fuck that jizz
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Is a farm of corn planted in rows really that pretty? Is the water that flows off that land filled with mud and silt pretty? If you think that is awesome move to Iowa. Newsflash. Nobody wants to live here. The rivers are the most polluted in the nation from those row crops. It is one of the reason this place has been infiltrated by majority brainwashed morons. People with half a brain have and will continue to leave this shithole state.

A farm converted to solar produces 70 times the energy of the same size farm gowning corn that is converted to ethanol...which makes up a huge chunk of the corn acres planted in Iowa. So imagine driving by huge chunks of land that is reforested with prairie and swamps and wildlife because we aren't wasting it trying to get energy from ethanol, instead using a far smaller amount of land to meet our energy needs with solar and returning that land used to grow ethanol to capture carbon naturally.

No brainer.

And nothing is uglier than a mountain range exploding in out of control fires fueled by the effects of climate change.

Another newsflash. The corn belt isn't immune to fires. And when we burn, our food burns. And some ethanol corn but nobody will miss that garbage.
    Yeah, the visuals are already getting fucked, no doubt.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Corn for ethanol is fubar.
    We need to plant food. Just ask Ukraine. Converting to solar farms is bullshit.

In my hood forests have been clearcut for solar farms. That’s double fucked.

But on the good side there are more and more parking lots that get carports with solar on top. That shit makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Corn for ethanol is fubar.
    We need to plant food. Just ask Ukraine. Converting to solar farms is bullshit.

In my hood forests have been clearcut for solar farms. That’s double fucked.

But on the good side there are more and more parking lots that get carports with solar on top. That shit makes sense.
    5/6 of the energy of Solar Panels is given off as heat! People think solar is the answer are actually increasing warming! I lament constantly about the Albedo of big cities with their flat roofs of commercial buildings that are black rubber .

This is a start
    https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...esearchers.htm

More attention needs to be paid on a large scale. The simple choices , the color car you drive , put your hand on a black car at noon on a sunny day. I’ll bet in a minute you have second degree burns.

I’m definitely in the tree planting category but indigenous species. I notice an easy 10f temperature difference when traveling from where I live into my local town.

Albedo affect needs more focus! There is a new “White solar panel technology” that should help reduce the heat generation issue of conventional panels.
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

Hmm, should the future of this planet be guided by this narrow aesthetic? IDTS

When I see a field of solar panels I am heartened; I think "here be not morons"

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Hmm, should the future of this planet be guided by this narrow aesthetic? IDTS

When I see a field of solar panels I am heartened; I think "here be not morons"
    Yup , nice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBY...el=CBSMornings

Here they come. Solar and wind is bad. Look at these possible negatives.

As if burning oil and coal for power isn't way fucking worse in every way with impacts that compound over time. The world as we know it is literally dying because of it.

But oohhz, solar panels are hot, a windmill got hit by lightning and burned yesterday! The humanity!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Here they come. Solar and wind is bad. Look at these possible negatives.

As if burning oil and coal for power isn't way fucking worse in every way with impacts that compound over time. The world as we know it is literally dying because of it.

But oohhz, solar panels are hot, a windmill got hit by lightning and burned yesterday! The humanity!

I believe you’re missing the point, while solving one problem let’s not create another. Not against wind or solar but can we have designs that work with nature now killing the local wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by AirheadD8 View Post
    I believe you’re missing the point, while solving one problem let’s not create another. Not against wind or solar but can we have designs that work with nature now killing the local wildlife.
    Okay.

57 percent of corn grown in Iowa is directly grown for ethanol. That is 7.3 million acres out of 12.9 million planted.

We can replace that ethanol energy with roughly 105k acres of solar panels (power let us say as a for instance electric cars the equivalent distance as ethanol would from 70 times the acreage) and have 7.2 million acres to turn into parks, CRP, forest, swamp, pothole lakes, which would actually clean the water we shit into the gulf every year and actually fix carbon.

That is 11,250 square miles of land we could take out of row crop production without effecting our food crop production...at all. That would be a 37 mile wide corridor of land returned potentially to nature from one side of Iowa to the other. Or it could be a huge national park. Yellowstone is only paltry 2.2 million acres.

Imagine Buffalo roaming free in Iowa...because solar. Lolz.

Also, right now our freshly closed nuclear plant which is going to be converted to solar is facing the same battle with the NIMBY's.
    They were okay with nuclear but not solar because ugly. Mmmkay? Wtf.

A nuclear plant! Along a beautiful stretch of Cedar River. Ugliest shit ever. Shouldn't have been closed in the first place but now that has been, it is a battle to turn it into a solar facility.

But yeah, let's not put solar panels by Jenny Lake in Teton National Park. Agreed.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 07-24-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Every energy mechanism has problems.
    Hopefully people can be smart enough to recognize relative merits and sort them appropriately.

I know solar panels produce heat, but I haven't seen a relative comparison to the cumulative effects as compared to fossil fuels. And relative to coal, nuclear power plants produce less radioactivity.

I've always thought that the aesthetic argument is a poor one relative to the functional one.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by AirheadD8 View Post
    Eagerly awaiting your passionate eulogy to all the species made extinct by mankind from sources other than solar and wind farming

I'm confused.

Does Airhead think that solar panels are creating heat and thereby heating the planet?

What's the mechanism for this?

And is that 5/6 number just reflected heat?

Too many damn people. The energy/climate situation is a tough one to accept for the responsible breeders.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    Conventional power plants are MUCH uglier.. And MUCH more polluting.. Fuck that jizz
    Nuclear facilities are prettier than farms, solar, or conventional power plants.

Okay maybe not, but they do produce way more energy and are our greenest option. In my opinion they are the only way out of this. We certainly aren’t going to conserve our way out of this and while other renewables are a piece of the puzzle, they aren’t up to supporting 7 billion humans.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Too many damn people. The energy/climate situation is a tough one to accept for the responsible breeders.
    Georgia guidestones. Let’s go. You first.

I have 11k sq ft of commercial black rubber roof that’s now covered in 125kw solar. I’m pretty sure that’s better than the rubber. Some energy is being sucked out into the grid.

If your rubber roof can’t be solar, you can always paint it white with RV paint.
    But go solar I say.

And nuclear is needed. Grew up next to one. Finally decommissioned. End of life. Yeah there’s spent rods and the land is fucked but it’s a small footprint.

100 miles away protesters blocking a new nat gas peaker. Proposed right next to two peakers. And I bet those protesters are all EV. Wtf.

Electricity ain’t cheap and it ain’t free.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    And nuclear is needed. Grew up next to one.
    That explains a lot.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'm confused.

Does Airhead think that solar panels are creating heat and thereby heating the planet?

What's the mechanism for this?

And is that 5/6 number just reflected heat?
    If you covered every square inch of the planet with current “ Black “Solar panels it would be unlivable because of temperature increase. Until the lighter color panels are widespread I would suggest putting up an equal or greater amount of reflective surface area. Panels do add heat to the surrounding area.

I am not anti solar per se but currently people don’t think it through. I’ve installed some hydro systems. No PV experience. read the 5/6 number as heat given off the panel the balance is converted to useable energy . They’re around 18-20% efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Eagerly awaiting your passionate eulogy to all the species made extinct by mankind from sources other than solar and wind farming
    Ok
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...twitchers.html

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Every energy mechanism has problems.
    Hopefully people can be smart enough to recognize relative merits and sort them appropriately.

I know solar panels produce heat, but I haven't seen a relative comparison to the cumulative effects as compared to fossil fuels. And relative to coal, nuclear power plants produce less radioactivity.

I've always thought that the aesthetic argument is a poor one relative to the functional one.
    Exactly. And they all have unintended impacts. But the impacts are fractional compared to oil and coal.

But here we are as usual.

Focused on blowing up those slices and ignoring the bushel barrels and giant coal train hoppers reaping hell upon us.

Carry on.

The birds will adapt (they’re little fucking dinosaurs right?). The sky is big, they can fly around. Ever try to run over a bird with your car? They know the deal.

Name:  Image1658689089.889502.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  42.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    The birds will adapt (they’re little fucking dinosaurs right?). The sky is big, they can fly around. Ever try to run over a bird with your car? They know the deal.

Name:  Image1658689089.889502.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  42.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Birds aren’t real

We’ve been over this topic many times.

No brainer.

Why not just hide the panels behind a few rows of corn? Then the idiots don’t have to see it.