Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    As I sit in the Seattle rain thinking of Hokkaido pow, just wanted to chime in and say that if you're in the Niseko area, Shiribetsu is a fucking rad little powder touring spot: open and gladed slopes on every aspect, so you can manage sun, wind, etc.

nice
    watch out for snakes

getting packed to head out to Niseko on Thursday, skiing on Sunday. With a crew of 6, a couple of which should be up for a day or two of touring. Is there any need for ice axe, or crampons? Thanks
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Did Yotei last year - crampons might have been nice - but weren’t necessary. Didn’t find anywhere where an ice axe would be required. Although, we weren’t looking either.

thanks for the info - I'll leave them home and reduce that gear pile a little bit
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Got to Niseko on Saturday night and it hasn’t stopped snowing for more than an hour or so, 60 cm overnight Tuesday, fun skiing at Hanazono & Rusutsu. Touring is looking less likely, got a few quick views of the flanks of Yotei, wow there’s a lot of snow plastered to that mtn

looks incredible! great work, hope to get out there someday

How late does the north island powder ski season last?

I'm planning on a trip to Hokkaido with friends and family either the week prior to Christmas 2018, or the third week in February 2019. I was in Hokkaido the first weeks of February before and it was super cold. Is that typical? The December date sounds great for cold powder potential, but it's a busy travel time so the February date would be much easier. I just don't want to miss the powder there. What do you all think?

Feb. The snow really just gets started in mid December.

Third week Feb is definitely starting to push it a little. If they have an early spring you might be SOL.
    I was in hokkaido 21st Feb - 6th March last year, got some good snow, but also some warm sunny days, enough to put sun crusts in etc. Hokkaido is quite low in latitude and in elevation so warms up very quickly when it does.

You'll be guaranteed some good touring weather too and there is some insane touring to be had, as well as Kurodake being open.

Update on Hokkaido Ski Touring Routes Website

A quick update on this - I've now moved all my 14degrees.org Hokkaido ski touring routes to a new website I've designed: https://hokkaidowilds.org/ski-touring

Still free, but way better search and filtering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb-default-plus-ski-hokkaido-wilds (1).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	758.9 KB 
ID:	253581

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon this TR and it became the inspiration for my trip to Hokkaido. Thought I'd share some of what I experienced this past month in that magical area of the world and add to the stoke created by the above. Cheers!

Name:  Blog-1.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  261.4 KB

https://atypicalcontent.com/2019/02/...iing-hokkaido/

Quote Originally Posted by ropeducker View Post
    A couple of years ago I stumbled upon this TR and it became the inspiration for my trip to Hokkaido. Thought I'd share some of what I experienced this past month in that magical area of the world and add to the stoke created by the above. Cheers!

https://atypicalcontent.com/2019/02/...iing-hokkaido/
    Warms my heart to know that the resources were useful and inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Rob

-----

Founder of HokkaidoWilds.org

Amazing

Nice- I've been looking for a guide like this! Thank you!