Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    The 2017 120 (PU) is substantially stiffer at room temp than the 2016 110 (Triax). The 2017 shells will get stiffer in the cold, so the new 120 should really be a 120 when cold, at least in the Tecnica spectrum.

That's an odd move by the shop. Maybe it's really the boring grey color, Tecnica should have kept it yellow.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-08-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Tip for those with Salomon driver-toe bindings; open up the wing adjustment ALL the way before snapping in a 2017 Cochise, or risk stripping the threads in the housing. With STH Steels, the wing adjustment is only 1/4 turn (both sides) from maximum width.
    Is the Cochise different than the Mach MV or same issue?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Couldn't say, I only have the new Cochise. The toe box is either wider than last year, or it's positioned lower on the boot so it's wider at the binding wings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    The 2017 120 (PU) is substantially stiffer at room temp than the 2016 110 (Triax). The 2017 shells will get stiffer in the cold, so the new 120 should really be a 120 when cold, at least in the Tecnica spectrum.

That's an odd move by the shop. Maybe it's really the boring grey color, Tecnica should have kept it yellow.
    Copy
    Guess what I'll do is to buy 120s, throw them in the fridge, carpet test, and either keep them, buy a booster strap, or upgrade to 130s.
    Probably thinking too much about this anyhow.....

Just buy the 130s. You can soften a stiff boot much more easily than the reverse.

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^ True, but maybe bootfitters could chime in about doing this. If you grind the bottom front of the cuff to soften a 130 boot to 120, do you lose the progessive flex and end up with a more off-on flex or a "wall"?

If you cut down the saddles instead, the flex relies partially on increased lower shell deflection around the pivots and should retain the progressiveness better, but still might not be as good as a virgin 120.

Pure speculation on my part, no experience with it. Orange is awesome.

It's rare that you grind down bottom of the front of the cuff to soften a boot. That would be sort of a last resort or if there is some significant binding TGR you think would be eliminated. Only time I've done that is on kids race boots.

Making the V cuts deeper on the sides of the lower is the best way to make a boot slightly softer. Start with .5cm lower and go from there. That is how 90% of race boots are softened. It doesn't affect performance in any other way other than just softening the flex. On the Cochise it's a bit more challenging as you can't remove the cuff but it still can be done.

I was really surprised by how soft the 120 & 130 felt.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    It's rare that you grind down bottom of the front of the cuff to soften a boot. That would be sort of a last resort or if there is some significant binding TGR you think would be eliminated. Only time I've done that is on kids race boots.

Making the V cuts deeper on the sides of the lower is the best way to make a boot slightly softer. Start with .5cm lower and go from there. That is how 90% of race boots are softened. It doesn't affect performance in any other way other than just softening the flex. On the Cochise it's a bit more challenging as you can't remove the cuff but it still can be done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	902.7 KB 
ID:	192282

If you are an lite weight you can cut & drill hole.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    I have the LV and no problem with the toes fitting the same wing setting as my old Rossi's. Don't know about the MV. I did notice that although the BSL of the Mach 1's is only 1 mm shorter than my Rossi's I had to move the heel piece forward a fair bit more than that to get the correct forward pressure (2 STH's 1 Griffon, 1 Marker race binding of some sort). Can't figure out why. The soles seem to measure true.

Well spent a fair amount of time at my LSS getting my new Cochise 130s dialed in, so some Master fit Instaprint footbeds heat mold and added a large shim to rear cuff. Fit is perfect with lots of buckle left. I have three resort skis that I use two with Griffons and one with STH's. Fitting the boots to the Markers, no problem, the STH's hmm, like stated earlier, wings need to be at full width and rollers mating with softer plastic of the boot toe. Going to keep a eye on that and maybe if the plastic starts to indent then readjust. Seems snug now and boot blow out of it like it should without sticking et et.

Anyway, all's good right now with only glitch the STH issue and the issue is probably a non issue. I don't like the wings fully wound out without knowing how much thread is left and the possibility of pull out.

The Toe box in the Cochise boot is very anatomically shaped. Especially at the very end of the boot in the big toe area. This is probably what is pushing against the wings. The toe box is pretty squared off, even more so than a Mach MV. Never had an issue in any marker binding.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have the LV and no problem with the toes fitting the same wing setting as my old Rossi's. Don't know about the MV. I did notice that although the BSL of the Mach 1's is only 1 mm shorter than my Rossi's I had to move the heel piece forward a fair bit more than that to get the correct forward pressure (2 STH's 1 Griffon, 1 Marker race binding of some sort). Can't figure out why. The soles seem to measure true.
    How the toe fits into the toe piece will make a difference. Particularity if you have adjustable wings in the STH and didn't adjust them....

Tecnica Boots 2016/2017

The Toe box in the Cochise boot is very anatomically shaped. Especially at the very end of the boot in the big toe area. This is probably what is pushing against the wings. The toe box is pretty squared off, even more so than a Mach MV. Never had an issue in any marker binding.
    Sorry if I missed it elsewhere-I thought the newest Cochise shared the lower shape with the MV? I have a snug performance fit in the 25.5 14/15, the 15/16 is a tad too snug in length and instep (although heel hold and ankle fit superior) How will a 16/17 Cochise fit into the mix?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Cochise is it's own mold, completely different shape than any Mach.

Old Cochise and Mach shared a lower mold not the new ones. You'd have to try them on

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere-I thought the newest Cochise shared the lower shape with the MV? I have a snug performance fit in the 25.5 14/15, the 15/16 is a tad too snug in length and instep (although heel hold and ankle fit superior) How will a 16/17 Cochise fit into the mix?
    Cochise is it's own mold, completely different shape than any Mach.

Old Cochise and Mach shared a lower mold not the new ones. You'd have to try them on
    I'm coming back to Tecnica after a long time..... at the end of last season, I got a Cochise Lite Pro & spent waaaaay too much time trying every boot on. I was very surprised how sophisticated the new Cochise is. Made the MV & Pro Lite feel like boxes. I ended up w a Cochise 130, have not skied em yet; my size is supposed to land in the states this week.

Got my Cochise 130 pro's in late august. Finally got around to getting foot beds and molding.....

Hard flex the right boot, pops out of ski mode. Over. And over. Dammit! Tecnica will take them back via warranty but need to send them in. Combined with the fucking beast carbons not shipping yet I have 2 new pair of boots I cannot ski.

Anyone else had this problem w the new Cochise?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I think it was Timberridge that had the exact same problem carpet-testing the 130 in a shop, both boots would pop out of ski mode when flexed. Said he liked the 120 flex better and couldn't get them to pop out of ski mode, so he bought the 120's.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge
    Yes for me as an inbounds/outbounds it felt best. I had a Mach 1 LV 120 on one foot and the Cochise 120 on the other and the Cochise felt stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMoJo View Post
    I'm going with the Mach1 130 LV. No need for a walk/hike mode, haven't needed one in the past, to me just another potential area of failure. I've toe kicked my way till now, so no sense changing. ANYWAY - buggered up ankle with a whack of metal installed in it, boots recommended were Dalbello, Full-tilt and Tecnica. Having been a Tecnica fanboi in the past, these are what are getting custom fitted to my stubs this upcoming week. And I'm stoked. Already went in for initial assessment and they're just coming out way head of the other options for a number of reasons.

I like orange. It's the new black.
    after long carpet test
    the flex of the new cochise 130 is more reactiv, springy with a progressive end than the mach1 who was a reference last year.

Tried on the 120s yesterday. Heel hold is great and the toe box is comfortable. Super springy flex, although I think I'd want to go with the 130.

The one issue I had was a sharp pain at the top of my navicular bone. It seemed like it may have been caused by the tongue of the liner, as it mostly went away when the shop heated the liner for a few minutes. Did anyone experience this at first and were you able to fix it?

I felt that in my brief experience trying them on with regular socks. It may have been the liner. Idk.
    I wish more shops stocked the 130. The 120 feels like not enough support unless it's extremely temperature sensitive.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Got my Cochise 130 pro's in late august. Finally got around to getting foot beds and molding.....

Hard flex the right boot, pops out of ski mode. Over. And over. Dammit! Tecnica will take them back via warranty but need to send them in. Combined with the fucking beast carbons not shipping yet I have 2 new pair of boots I cannot ski.

Anyone else had this problem w the new Cochise?
    I'm in the new 130 Cochise, this happened in the shop to me as well last week after some punches, flex pop set unset repeat.
    I was confused...

I kept rocking in them back and forth for a while and the issue went away completely, they locked up in ski mode and stayed.
    ymmv ? but I've had them on for about ten hours now and the issue has not repeated

Will ski them Thursday
    Stoked on the best fitting boot and most modifiable boot I've ever been in!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Tried on the 120s yesterday. Heel hold is great and the toe box is comfortable. Super springy flex, although I think I'd want to go with the 130.

The one issue I had was a sharp pain at the top of my navicular bone. It seemed like it may have been caused by the tongue of the liner, as it mostly went away when the shop heated the liner for a few minutes. Did anyone experience this at first and were you able to fix it?
    You can completely remove the tongue and reset it where you need

I have the tongue as far back as it will go and this alleviated the top of foot pain a good measure

I've got a pair of Tecnica Mach 1 ski boots from 2015, does anyone know if the Cochise tech soles will fit the bolt pattern on the bottom of the Mach 1's?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Yep, happened upon first post-custom-fit-punch-grind-footbed try on the other day. In my case with the Mach1 LV. What was it? A very small but obvious section of tongue periphery that wasn't properly tucked under the overlap of the shell in that area (one foot only). Mt fitter said - the boots just got worked, they'll have "tendencies" to wanna distort for a while - this will go away after a few days of wearing them, tightening them, and basically, getting the materials of the boots to "know where to go".

Gotta say they felt incredible once the fit was done - like a very firm boa constrictor around my entire foot, heel, ankle and up....just super supportive and solid, all on 1 buckle tooth. I'm super stoked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mine.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1,020.4 KB 
ID:	193099

PS: No idea why this loaded sideways, sorry.