Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    My power strap couldn't stand the tourque generated by my strong pole planting arm and decided to separate into 2 pieces whilst getting head wall tight.

Mach 1 120

Tip: if you shake Cochise boot boards out of the shell to grind them or trace them onto Bontex shims, be sure to carefully put them back in the shells the same way. If you try to flex the board at all, it'll crack in half. Which isn't actually a big deal, since the underside of the board has shaped areas that fit into pockets in the shell, so the halves stay in the proper position with the liner holding them in place.

I only snapped one, probably won't even bother contacting Tecnica for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Just put a thicker liner in the ZeroG. Will solve all your problems.
    Does the liner for the Zero G Guide (non pro) also take up more of the cuff volume similar to the Cochise liner?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Does the liner for the Zero G Guide (non pro) also take up more of the cuff volume similar to the Cochise liner?
    Guide liner is somewhat similar in thickness to the Cochise liners yes. It's more due to the fact that they have a thicker plastic tongue where as the Guide Pro liner tongue is a little thinner and more flexible which helps it tour a little better. Guide liner doesn't have a Velcro spoiler but neither does Cochise 120. They're easy to acquire though if you need one.

Skied the Cochise 120 2 days at 0 degrees and I can attest to the new plastic really stiffing up to a true 120 flex I could barely get them on!
    I didn't like the wide power strap so I replaced it with a booster that really tightens the factory liner against my calf. The factory liner really locked my heals down but is no where near as warm as an intuition that could become a problem. I'm 165 pounds and I loved the flex and rebound so to all who where worried as I was flexing this boot in warm weather not to worry it's the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Tip: if you shake Cochise boot boards out of the shell to grind them or trace them onto Bontex shims, be sure to carefully put them back in the shells the same way. If you try to flex the board at all, it'll crack in half. Which isn't actually a big deal, since the underside of the board has shaped areas that fit into pockets in the shell, so the halves stay in the proper position with the liner holding them in place.

I only snapped one, probably won't even bother contacting Tecnica for a replacement.
    What's up w/ this lately? Seems every mfgr is making the boards outs of some thing that resembles cheap, hard styrofoam.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What's up w/ this lately? Seems every mfgr is making the boards outs of some thing that resembles cheap, hard styrofoam.
    It grinds easily to create more volume/instep height in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It grinds easily to create more volume/instep height in a few minutes.
    I never had problems grinding the old ones (the ones that didn't break when they fell on the ground.)
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    My new XT-130 Freetour boards are made of something resembling PVC. I see a mini-project around making a set out of cork (to extend the cold temp range?) .

There are a few contours to match up with rebates in the bottom of the shell, along with careful replication of the ramp angle.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

New ones don't break when they fall on the ground either... they are made out of the same material that any traditional Zeppa is made out of. However the Cochise/ZeroG boots have very thin soles (this is where the weight savings comes from) so the boot boards are thin (especially under the instep). Hence when taking them out and putting them in they can snap cause they're so thin. You can typically force a boot board in and the will flex without breaking but if you try to force the ZG/Cochise ones they can snap. You can get them in and out just have to be a little more gentle than normal.

I snapped by ZeroG bootboard taking it out. But then I'm a hack. Like 1000-0aks though - no big deal

Open the walk mode, tilt the cuff back and slide the Zeppa into the boot in a mannner where the zeppa glides along the lateral side of the boot.

Once the bootboard is in two pieces, it's super easy to get in & out, lol.

I'm really interested in the Cochise 130 boots. They do everything well for me on paper. I went to the boot fitters yesterday and tried some on, however immediately the left hand boot walk mode showed exactly this problem. It would only engage to prevent rearward movement and would click out of ski mode when flexed forward. Can the walk mode be replaced or does the boot have to be swapped out? I don't think there are any other boots available in this size.

I have quite a wide last (something like 104mm) and a relatively large and wide instep (I find it hard to get boots on). Predictably they are a bit tight in the last and across the top of my foot. I think the last can easily be stretched enough but does anyone have any comments about how much room can be gained on the instep? The foot bed in the boot was pretty thick so I guess this could be ground down a few mm.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    There was an issue with a small number of the first Cochise 130s where the rivet that holds the walk mechanism on the cuff was overtightened skewing the male piece just slightly. As you can see the interface is very tight. They pop out right away on first flex if it's a bad one. If they don't pop you're all set, it will never happen. If a retailer has one that it happens to it will be replaced with inventory that has all been tested.

Have your bootfitter send them back to tecnica. If he tries to sell you the boot wiht the defect, go to another bootfitter.

I believe they are doing this now so we will see.

I thought this was interesting... check out the beginning of Kristofer Turdell's run, where he seems to be having some problems with the Cochise 130 locking into ski mode.

http://www.freerideworldtour.com/eve...andorra/replay

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I thought this was interesting... check out the beginning of Kristofer Turdell's run, where he seems to be having some problems with the Cochise 130 locking into ski mode.

http://www.freerideworldtour.com/eve...andorra/replay
    Jesus. He must be pisssssed with that.

Sure he didn't just forget to put them into ski mode before his run?

He's fiddling with it quite a bit. I've had that issue myself (maybe snow packing in there?).

Tecnica Boots 2016/2017

Well if he skied with it for the in walk mode much there is a good chance it's not necessarily going to click into ski mode easily. Add to that the frustration/embarrassment/anger/adrenaline of the moment and I think that would account for the majority of the fumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    Well if he skied with it for the in walk mode much there is a good chance it's not necessarily going to click into ski mode easily. Add to that the frustration/embarrassment/anger/adrenaline of the moment and I think that would account for the majority of the fumbling.
    Actually, that's exactly how I've gotten it working again before - by skiing a few turns (pushes the snow out? or friction melts it?). Though sometimes it didn't click until the very bottom of the run. You can sometimes get it to click back in if you flex forward and back a few times (like he does when he's fiddling with it).

Pouring a little water over the latch when you can't switch into ski mode works everytime for me. I've had this problem with every generation of the boot unfortunately.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Pouring a little water over the latch when you can't switch into ski mode works everytime for me. I've had this problem with every generation of the boot unfortunately.
    So piss on them?

If that's your thing, but I usually have tea or a nalgene with me. Cold water works fine.
    Drive slow, homie.