Page 35 of 98 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Radar showing convergence at Snoq Pass

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Radar showing convergence at Snoq Pass
    2" fell outta nowhere between 2:30 and when we left the pass ~4. Not quite the coldest, driest stuff but certainly light by comparison to most of what Seattle's premier destination sledding hill & dog park gets. And it didn't turn to rain until we crossed over Hwy 18.

Might have to break out the split in the morning for a dawn patrol and take some laps at East or West. Leaning towards the latter because I know the groomers extend far and wide which should make for not only a quick skin but excellent powder farming. Not convinced we're gonna get the double digits of new snowfall I need to justify heading to Alpy on Tues. AM but anything could happen

Probably 4-5" in the lot when I left the Ridge at 4:15 and coming down hard. Stayed pretty cold all day in spite of a warmish ridge top wind. Just cleared 3-4" from the driveway at home. Still snowing steadily in Wenatchee, but not as hard. Skiing was good, will be better tomorrow.

Seems like Mt. Catherine's in...

I've hiked mt Catherine. How is the skiing? What time are you headed up in the morning?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

No clue - I've heard for such a small objective the tight trees can be disorienting. Bumped into a group of NWAC observers & pals headed out this morning to ski Roaring Ridge, I'm sure they had a good day. I told a friend I'd haul him up the pass in the morning if I go, conditional on there being at least 6" of new to squeak through at pass level. Probably going to make a few laps at West, since they've got the golf course groomed from practically wall-to-wall and it's just going to go to waste when they groom it out on Wed. Plan would be to start skinning by sunrise - not too challenging considering that's 7:56

I don't think I've ever skinned West with an actual base... mellow laps through 6-10" of new would make for a nice change of pace.

You may see me up there. I need a fitness day

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I've hiked mt Catherine. How is the skiing? What time are you headed up in the morning?
    That's where my photo a few posts up was from.

I've hiked mt Catherine. How is the skiing?
    Mt. Catherine ski tour is on its N flank in huge old growth Mountain Hemlocks. Hiking is from the S. It has become a popular tour so skin tracks likely there after this weekend. Easiest access to ski tour is from Hyak XC trails. Route is pretty apparent on USGS 7.5' maps. Stay W of cliffs on ascent and descent. Very fun tour in the big trees when it's in. Bit o' a grunt in and out but worth it when it's in shape. I ran into GregL there 7-8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    That's where my photo a few posts up was from.
    That was a sweet shot. Did you tour up from the Nordic trails?

SNOW IN THE PNW 2016-17: Return of the Shred-i

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Mt. Catherine ski tour is on its N flank in huge old growth Mountain Hemlocks. Hiking is from the S. It has become a popular tour so skin tracks likely there after this weekend. Easiest access to ski tour is from Hyak XC trails. Route is pretty apparent on USGS 7.5' maps. Stay W of cliffs on ascent and descent. Very fun tour in the big trees when it's in. Bit o' a grunt in and out but worth it when it's in shape. I ran into GregL there 7-8 years ago.
    Did you...do it yourself? Or was it too big?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Passholding slackers can get there by hopping on Silver Fir then heading out via the XC trail system. Not sure if that's kosher when the Nordic center is closed, but I'm pretty sure everyone would just look the other way. However, there won't be any packing/grooming out there, so the slog will be a little sloggier than it would've been yesterday or today. I pitched it as an idea to a friend for last Sat., but then we stayed-out too late celebrating his birthday and had to settle for lift-served instead.

That was a sweet shot. Did you tour up from the Nordic trails?
    We took the Hyak lift up and than took the Nordic trails to the base. When hyak is not running it would be an easy skin to the top to get over the ridge.

The Sebury Blair book has you approach Catherine from the south as well; They have you park at the Keechelus Sno-Park; skin up the forestry road through Cold Creek basin; then ascend and ski the south face.

Also, spotted a black Subaru with '17 BBI sticker at East yesterday, yet there was no evidence of hooliganism, 220 DH planks or lederhosen. I was confused ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Did you...do it yourself? Or was it too big?
    Heh. A guy turns 60, makes a mag name change and you flip the shit. FWIW I've skied Catherine N big Mountain Hemlocks 15 or so times through the years, always with buds, sometimes running into and/or mixing in with other parties, e.g., GregL, Mike and Brenda (RIP), Kam. Fat fishscales help with the slog in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbu View Post
    The Sebury Blair book has you approach Catherine from the south as well; They have you park at the Keechelus Sno-Park; skin up the forestry road through Cold Creek basin; then ascend and ski the south face.
    I'll check out what line he takes. I skied the S side one time. Not fun in the conditions we hit. IMO if you're gonna slog up the Windy Pass road mid-winter after a pow dump, the better line would usually be the E side of Silver Peak down to Twin Lakes.

The Zbo Steven's tours continue to deliver, almost 7K of bottomless clean protected pow, no wind slab found on n-nw slopes 6K-4K.

Now about that 4 fucking hour drive back on hwy2... we sat parked motionless just past baring for a good 75min, snowing hard down to gold bar.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Pics please! I forgot what powder deeper than my first boot buckle looks and feels like. Must study the art of pow skiing vicariously though others. There is a chance I may forget how it's done before it is time to re engage.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

and no goddam hideous Sultan stoplights

The windy hill feature soft groomers and stashes of deep powder if you knew where to look. The 3-5" of new snow we got were much denser than most storms we've had this season and really improved the coverage in the steeper terrain on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Pics please! I forgot what powder deeper than my first boot buckle looks and feels like. Must study the art of pow skiing vicariously though others. There is a chance I may forget how it's done before it is time to re engage.

My phone only came out once on the skin track, no action shots as it grey on grey and stormy.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Grey on green on white on grey.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by joshbu View Post
    Also, spotted a black Subaru with '17 BBI sticker at East yesterday, yet there was no evidence of hooliganism, 220 DH planks or lederhosen. I was confused ;-)
    Shit, my cover is blown. It was fun flying under the radar for a few days in the new Scooby...

Didn't see Jed this morning. Didn't see anyone, actually, until dropping-in for my third lap of the golf course @ Snoqualmie.

I-90 traffic report: easy

Cornice danger: extreme

Snow conditions: 5/7 quality

No wind. 30F at 1030 when I departed for my day job. Only hit bottom a few times - the new snow and mellow terrain made things surfy
    Last edited by pipedream; 01-09-2017 at 03:11 PM.

I thought I should probably go do some welding this morning. Lots to do but I'll be getting at least Wednesday Thursday and Friday.

Kopi_red's and my day summed up in one photo. They under-reported a bit.

so sweet