Page 27 of 98 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Edit RIP: Adam R.
    I logged into Facebook this morning and all the sudden this comment had a lot more relevance to me. I didn't know Adam well, but had run into him some in college. He consistently looked like he was having more fun than anyone else in whatever he did.

How does Stevens fare during a hard storm? Any recs for a resort that will spin tomorrow and not be super hammered? Flying in tonight for a couple of mellow resort days with an old friend who happens to have a Stevens Pass. I know the holiday crowds will be in full effect, just wondering what resorts spin the best during a storm. Not looking for gnar as I'm rehabbing an injury, so even hippie laps are fine as long as something is spinning off the beaten path ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    How does Stevens fare during a hard storm? Any recs for a resort that will spin tomorrow and not be super hammered? Flying in tonight for a couple of mellow resort days with an old friend who happens to have a Stevens Pass. I know the holiday crowds will be in full effect, just wondering what resorts spin the best during a storm. Not looking for gnar as I'm rehabbing an injury, so even hippie laps are fine as long as something is spinning off the beaten path ...
    Most of the chairs at Stevens Pass are protected and spin unless the weather is really gnarly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0319161336 (1).jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	195995

If you're not feeling the crowds (which are gnarly this time of year - sometimes 45 minute lift lines) you might think about visiting Mission Ridge. Never very busy and the conditions are really good packed powder/windbuff right now. Lots of fun long cruiser groomers plus some good off-piste terrain if you hunt around. Don't let the low numbers on the snow report dissuade you, the wind fills things in much deeper.

Thanks for the beta! Hit me up for info if you ever make it out to the Sierra Nevada.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Thanks for the beta! Hit me up for info if you ever make it out to the Sierra Nevada.
    In a lot of ways Mission reminds me of Kirkwood, obviously less snow, but better snow than Kirkwood. It's drier 30 miles east of the crest.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Most of the chairs at Stevens Pass are protected and spin unless the weather is really gnarly.

Name:	0319161336 (1).jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	195995

T

If you're not feeling the crowds (which are gnarly this time of year - sometimes 45 minute lift lines) you might think about visiting Mission Ridge. Never very busy and the conditions are really good packed powder/windbuff right now. Lots of fun long cruiser groomers plus some good off-piste terrain if you hunt around. Don't let the low numbers on the snow report dissuade you, the wind fills things in much deeper.

This looks like your standing pretty close to the entrance to Central Park.....I recognize those rocks...lol

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    This looks like your standing pretty close to the entrance to Central Park.....I recognize those rocks...lol
    Yeah, that's the knoll above Snake Pit before the compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Jeez, it's been good.
    I love the 3" stormy days when it's not worth it for the rah-rahs, lifts run lineless and you mine the stuff that's off kilter to the masses. When the true comes down simple.
    I see today is not a day to sleep in for turns at Xtal. Lots full. Have to pay some bills before I can get after it on Friday. Luckily there will be some fresh snow to play in from the looks of the forecast.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I see today is not a day to sleep in for turns at Xtal. Lots full. Have to pay some bills before I can get after it on Friday. Luckily there will be some fresh snow to play in from the looks of the forecast.
    I need to take a day off after a string of awesome days with a bunch of challenges mixed in. We got seriously chilled off and needed to go back to the main nest to warm up.
    But yeah, hopefully the pattern will continue of little dumplets too small for the important people.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    Yup.

For the record, this was last March, coverage is a bit less right now but most everything in this picture is still skiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Yup.

For the record, this was last March, coverage is a bit less right now but most everything in this picture is still skiable.
    LS - see PMs. Going to post office in an hour and won't be able to go back for a week so would like to mail your stuff to you.

Got a copy of Jason Hummel's book for Christmas, inside are are excellent photos of Adam Roberts skiing. It's gonna be a hard book to read. RIP

Skibum.Roberts was quite the character. I last saw him on the 14th in the back of the upper lot at Heather Meadows. He was heading off with Hummel somewhere and I was heading elsewhere. It was the first time I had seen him all season so we took a few minutes to catch up - he was stoked on the good skiing we've been having but what struck me was his answer to "What are you up to these days?" His answer was "I'm trying to get my life together".

I had heard he had some troubles recently but after reading some tributes by his closer friends I realize that I could have been a much better friend. I had stopped skiing with him years ago because he was a little too cavalier for my liking and while this outcome didn't really surprise me, I'm still fucking bummed. He was a good guy.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Goddamnit, another punch to the gut. I crossed paths with Adam numerous times and through different zones/mutual tour partners over the last 5+yrs. He was always full of stoke, maybe an occasional overexuberance that I'd chalk up to group dynamics, but we always had a good time and he was really a solid skier.

He will be missed.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Heard about it today , RIP

RIP for Adam and condolences for the family and friends. His stoke from Jason's shots always kept me longing to be skiing in the PNW.

We came up north for the holiday with touring gear in hand. We'd hoped to tour around Hurricane on the 24th or 26th decided it wasn't worth the drive for the "Considerable" + windy conditions. Did some classic forest service road skiing above Quilcene at around 2000'. Literally skied the road from where the Tacoma ceased to climb. She's happy though:

Name:	IMG_7378.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	406.0 KB 
ID:	196035

I'm thinking about heading up to Stevens tomorrow. Any beta on how bad the crowds have been this holiday season?

Steven's has been busy but not as busy as the last few years IMO. I also haven't gotten up there as often as when I worked there...

I've gone up for a few opening chairs and didn't get stuck in lines much, especially when sticking to the more challenging lifts and not returning to the main base area.

Very sad hearing about Adam. We met him briefly skiing with Jason at Whitepass a year ago and caught a ride in his house/truck after skiing to the road somewhere. Memorable character, seemed so chill and genuine. It also seemed like a pretty tight community up there, my heart goes out to everyone who is hurting from this.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I'm thinking about heading up to Stevens tomorrow. Any beta on how bad the crowds have been this holiday season?
    Get up here early. Lots were almost full at 915 I think. I waited in two lines then moved over to chief to lap double D trees. Had to wait two whole chairs on one lap.

I think I'll be here tomorrow again, still got my number?

RIP Adam. Damn

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Get up here early. Lots were almost full at 915 I think. I waited in two lines then moved over to chief to lap double D trees. Had to wait two whole chairs on one lap.

I think I'll be here tomorrow again, still got my number?
    False alarm. Now it looks like I won't be headed up to High 2. I was excited about making some turns up there. Bummer...

I lost your number, but I am definitely going to head up there at some point this season to make some turns with you. Have fun up there tomorrow!

RIP Adam. Thoughts and prayers to all of his family and friends.

Skied at White yesterday and first heard about it on the lift from a patroller. He said Adam and a buddy were out doing a road lap when it happened.
    Everybody stay safe out there.

If anyone hasn't read Jason Hummel's tribute to Adam, do so. It is very, very good and honest. It is floating around a lot of different places on the net. RIP and vibes to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    False alarm. Now it looks like I won't be headed up to High 2. I was excited about making some turns up there. Bummer...

I lost your number, but I am definitely going to head up there at some point this season to make some turns with you. Have fun up there tomorrow!
    Too bad, it's dumping right now. Last couple hours have been gooooood.

I did knock lose some snow in wildcats that slid maybe 75 feet past where I stopped. Not deeper than 3-4 inches and not fast but it was worth letting it pass by.

I saw that from Jason Hummel this morning. Rough to read but he clearly thought about what he had to say.
    RIP