Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    boyne does not own either. one of the boyne sons owns crystal
    Boyne Resorts do technically own Crystal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Crystal Mountain operations is owned by Boyne Properties - Washington LLC, a manager-managed Washington limited liability company. The LLC's manager is Boyne USA Inc.

Well, the point is if both "resorts" are managed by the same company, wouldn't the management-dependent dweeb factor be similar? Then I suppose it all comes down to the posers that ski at Crystal vs the cool kids at Alpental. Is that it?

Easy now. You're playing with fire. The Alpy boys are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Well, the point is if both "resorts" are managed by the same company, wouldn't the management-dependent dweeb factor be similar? Then I suppose it all comes down to the posers that ski at Crystal vs the cool kids at Alpental. Is that it?
    For the Summit (Ski Lifts, Inc.)
    Boyne oversees, but day to day management and operations is basically the same team that's been in place for some time.
    A different vibe...

Local management style and discretion matters. Xtal ops v. Alpy/Summit ops is apples v oranges. Xtal has uptight mgt vibe, lots of nickel & diming (or, more accurately, $5 & $10ing). Alpy is more laid back, loosey goosey mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    A different vibe...
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    lots of nickel & diming (or, more accurately, $5 & $10ing). Alpy is more laid back, loosey goosey mgt.
    Lulz -
    Lot's of pocket book pucker to go around.
    Penny pinch/nick-dime = Summit
    $5 & $10ing = Dweebus

OK, thanks, got no dog in the fight although I used to ski regularly at the "Southern Resort" when I lived in the area many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Local management style and discretion matters. Xtal ops v. Alpy/Summit ops is apples v oranges. Xtal has uptight mgt vibe, lots of nickel & diming (or, more accurately, $5 & $10ing). Alpy is more laid back, loosey goosey mgt.
    Gotta pay for that useless Gondola somehow.

So who's heading-up for some turns @ Stevens tomorrow? I'm on the fence simply because the promise of Hogs...

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    OK, thanks, got no dog in the fight although I used to ski regularly at the "Southern Resort" when I lived in the area many years ago.
    Nobody has a dog in the fight (cept for Predictor McPipe).

Still great hill to ski. Too easy to tease the place, so we do.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    So who's heading-up for some turns @ Stevens tomorrow? I'm on the fence simply because the promise of Hogs...
    I'm going to wait until sunday. Let all the other fools find the rocks.

It was very thin on saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

Yeah, but there's been a significant amount of snowfall since then. I figure Brooks will offer-up a few good laps early, enough to warrant some parking lot brunching before Hogs cracks and the fun* really begins

As for my predictions, well... I seem to have been off by some. Baker did open on Black Friday (and oh was it ever good), Crustal didn't quite beat them to the punch as I expected (but whatever, off-by-one is still acceptable in my line of work), The Summit did originally have a rail jibber jammer scheduled for Sat. but they pushed it back a week (more of that off-by-one thing), and the storms seemed to skip Stevens. Completely disregarding my Apple Cup prediction, I think I'd give myself a "B"

*Type 1.5, ofc

Did stevens end the PNW advantage pass program this year? I mostly tour but a flexible discount pass is nice to have if it still exists. Otherwise I may buy a couple days on the black friday sale.

Of course they did - Stevens put the nail in the coffin of fun a few years ago when they over-marketed themselves and were unable to live-up to the expectations. In a knee-jerk manuever to restore a balance between ticket-buying, ski-renting, lesson-taking Jerrys and PB&J-pocketing, first chair-queuing passholders they rehashed their passes, increased their prices and killed their discount/advantage programs in the hope that the parking lots wouldn't be full 30 mins before opening whistle causing them to have to turn revenue generators who don't want to leave the city at 6am away.

No, I'm not bitter about it. Not one bit. Just like I totally understand why you'd need a beacon + shovel + probe & partner to ride Hogsback with < 36" of coverage

I hope they get snapped-up by Vail soon so that I can adjust my expectations accordingly and justify buying one of those "Moderately Alright, Average At Best" passes I've been hearing so much about from my Call-it-rad-bros.

Hoping for a half day or so of carving at Mission on Friday, followed by a nice hike in town. Nice way to ease into the season.

No, I'm not bitter about it. Not one bit. Just like I totally understand why you'd need a beacon + shovel + probe & partner to ride Hogsback with < 36" of coverage

What's the back story to that? Isn't hogsback in the very middle of the resort, and not that high? Was this an early season restriction, or standard policy?

I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to open Skyline.

The backstory on "Hogsbackcountry" is that at the start of the winter that wasn't (2014-15), on opening day Stevens spun Daisy & Brooks then opened Hogsback around noon but required everyone to have a beacon + shovel + probe (and I think, initially, partner). They were able to use this gear requirement as a filtering mechanism to keep people off Hogsback that wouldn't have been able to make it down due to the sheer amount of open holes, creeks, etc. The snowpack was too thin to allow them to groom anything up there and they needed to keep the jerrys away so that Patrol could focus their efforts on getting more things open. I left my bc gear at home because I figured there wasn't enough snow to need it and it'd just tempt me into making poor decisions and paid dearly for my lack of clairvoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Hoping for a half day or so of carving at Mission on Friday, followed by a nice hike in town. Nice way to ease into the season.
    See you up on the windy hill!

"Hogsbackcountry" made me butthurt
    I don't really see the big deal. I think they should start doing that with double diamond and seventh heaven all season.

I don't really see the big deal. I think they should start doing that with double diamond and seventh heaven all season.
    Jongs would still infiltrate.

Bridger Bowl enforces avy equipment rules on both lift-served and hike-to terrain, but it doesn't keep anybody out (partner rule did, but that fell with the new lift). Just an extra piece of gear lets me in? Boom, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Bridger Bowl enforces avy equipment rules on both lift-served and hike-to terrain, but it doesn't keep anybody out (partner rule did, but that fell with the new lift). Just an extra piece of gear lets me in? Boom, done.
    but the first week that new policy happens would be glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Just slushmans for lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Just slushmans for lift served.
    Yup, shoulda been clearer... beep onto the chair only at Slushy, and for the traditional Ridge boot pack.

/distraction

Back to pnw dreaming

Somebody put up a pic of snowy mtns or something