Page 58 of 107 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2668
    thinking of doing some lazy lift-assisted touring at baker by doing laps of shuksan arm and chair 8. i've always stared at this from the resort in awe but never done it. NWAC reported that it slid huge (20 ft crown) after the recent rain which alleviates some avy risk, and there's some snow forecasted before the weekend, so i was thinking this might be a good time.

don't know much about the area though. is this a good idea?

You should be. An incredible privilege. Congrats!
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    As I hiked around lot 4 source lake trail on Monday with my 2yr old in my pack I get the "parachute" reference. Yes they slow you waaaay down but allow you to reach new heights in life.
    the cliff note version

enjoy this part of the ride cuz it's
    a roller coaster when they hit 13!
    i used to drag him around the hill,
    now I just try to moderate the thrill.
    i feel like I'm now his parachute, fact.
    I love that I have a lil girl parachute!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    the cliff note version

enjoy this part of the ride cuz it's
    a roller coaster when they hit 13!
    i used to drag him around the hill,
    now I just try to moderate the thrill.
    i feel like I'm now his parachute, fact.
    I love that I have a lil girl parachute!
    My daughter will be 2 in a few weeks, still reluctant to put the plastic skis on, not forcing it at all just exposing her to skiing. Got one ski on her at Alpental and she didn't want the other, haha. when she sees other kids skiing she'll want to do it. She's feisty and competitive already. Heading up this wknd to do the same thing.

The snow at Mission improved overnight with the clear skies and cold temps. There was some wind last night which made for some unexpected scratchiness is some places and some deeper snow in others. Overall no crust felt where I skied, blue skies and cold snow. As is typical here as the days get longer it looked like we might get some convective showers this afternoon.

...did you touch the wing today

We always touch the wing. Every lap.

i winged it.

Mission was fun this morning. Plenty of light windblown freshies left in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    thinking of doing some lazy lift-assisted touring at baker by doing laps of shuksan arm and chair 8. i've always stared at this from the resort in awe but never done it. NWAC reported that it slid huge (20 ft crown) after the recent rain which alleviates some avy risk, and there's some snow forecasted before the weekend, so i was thinking this might be a good time.

don't know much about the area though. is this a good idea?
    The best lift served b/c in the USA. Why wouldn't you?
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Silver delivered. Most aspects were knee deep with the North Face glades loaded in up to my crotch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1487806777.244921.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	200747

I'm not a wing toucher. My business was in the other direction anyway. The "wind affected" snow that LS talked about yesterday was looser and with a little wind deposit, deeper. Boot top pow for everyone! It's started to snow while I was at Safeway, I couldn't see the Ridge anymore on my drive home. Tomorrow should be nice, anyone?

On family vacation but glad to see things are back to normal in the PNdub. New phone somehow pulled old pics. Love winter but thinking we r gonna have a good spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Silver delivered. Most aspects were knee deep with the North Face glades loaded in up to my crotch.

I miss skiing Silver! Im gonna move out to CDA one of these days.

Great skiing at Mission today with 2+" of new over a mostly soft and not too skied out base. The real action was out the gate, boot top or deeper above Chair 4 and nice turns to finish the runs down Castle Face mostly boot top with some silly deep pillows. Cold start to the day, looks like more convective showers this pm with the instability. Starting to spit graupel and snow at 1:30.

Pic from a departing family member:

PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    The best lift served b/c in the USA. Why wouldn't you?
    Damn Right!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post

Crotch deep North Face Glades...

Another great day at Mission. Fun skiing with my friend Becky and kai_ski. Took some really nice runs out in Bowl 4 and Microwave, piecing together some nice glades and meadows. A lot of really nice untracked and barely tracked snow with soft crud and groomers back to the lifts. Nice cold temps.

Damn Right!
    Not a slight on alpy good sir. I don't personally consider the alpy bc as actual bc. It's gated inbounds imo. Albeit the raddest gated inbounds I know of.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Another great day at Mission. Fun skiing with my friend Becky and kai_ski. Took some really nice runs out in Bowl 4 and Microwave, piecing together some nice glades and meadows. A lot of really nice untracked and barely tracked snow with soft crud and groomers back to the lifts. Nice cold temps.
    Good temps for hiking and snow quality. two thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Not a slight on alpy good sir. I don't personally consider the alpy bc as actual bc. It's gated inbounds imo. Albeit the raddest gated inbounds I know of.
    This is why I'm okay with the rebranding to "back bowls" - let's face it, everything this side of DDR is gated, in-permit boundary terrain. You should have avalanche equipment, an equally-equipped partner and knowledge of how to use it, but I won't hold it against you if you don't (as long as you're not an idiot about it). But it isn't really, truly backcountry based on the sheer amounts of skier compaction and non-zero control work it receives. I can't remember the last time I saw rescue sleds cached in the actual BC, either
    "Pay your nickel and take your chances"
    "they don't groom Alpental, they just move shit around."

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    This is why I'm okay with the rebranding to "back bowls" - let's face it, everything this side of DDR is gated, in-permit boundary terrain. You should have avalanche equipment, an equally-equipped partner and knowledge of how to use it, but I won't hold it against you if you don't (as long as you're not an idiot about it). But it isn't really, truly backcountry based on the sheer amounts of skier compaction and non-zero control work it receives. I can't remember the last time I saw rescue sleds cached in the actual BC, either
    Like the top of piss pass?

IIRC, there's a toboggan at Piss Pass and another one out on Draft Dodger Ridge. You wouldn't see that if you skinned-up, say, East Peak at Crystal or Skyline Ridge at Stevens
    "Pay your nickel and take your chances"
    "they don't groom Alpental, they just move shit around."

There are toboggans in some neat locations. Flyin Ryan's at the Bob bowls landing. I've seen one at cutthroat on 20. Also, there is in fact a toboggan at the bottom of skyline if you know where to look...

I think I read your post wrong in my vacation stuper. PP=not actual BC as intended by your post...agreed.