Page 78 of 98 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2440

SNOW IN THE PNW 2016-17: Return of the Shred-i

I love how all of Seattle thinks Adams is inaccessible because of a few washouts on 23. Keep up the good work Steve!

When was the last time you skied Adams?

P.S. Adams is currently inaccessible without serious road miles or sled help but it has nothing to do with any washouts on 23...

Cool, thinking about Stuart's tomorrow, and maybe camp or continue to the west and hit rainier and st Helen's.

Sounds fun; wish I could join!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    I love how all of Seattle thinks Adams is inaccessible because of a few washouts on 23. Keep up the good work Steve!
    The long way via hood river is a miserable drive. When friends want to do Adams and 23 is closed, I say "okay but you're driving".

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    When was the last time you skied Adams?
    2014 w/ party celebrating friend finishing her Bulger list, my 5th or 6th Adams summit ski + 2 on foot

FS Road 23 conditions will be relevant for some of those pondering an Adams tour in the next 2 months
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 05-06-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Cool, thinking about Stuart's tomorrow
    Road report if you do it please.

Toured Tronsen today, found some nice N aspect turns. Drove a mile or so up the road. Walked a bit.

I've been staring at this line on Three Brothers for years. It's a big couloir coming off the North peak of TB, the obvious line in the center coming off the lookers right peak. It looks to be over 3000' from looking a the topo, starting at around 7200' and dropping to below 4000' right now. It's drains into the head of Etienne(Negro) Creek. Anybody ever ski this? It looks like it'd be haul right now coming from the Teanaway or the Peshatin side right now. Maybe it'd be better earlier approaching by sled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	521.2 KB 
ID:	205775

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I've been staring at this line on Three Brothers for years. It's a big couloir coming off the North peak of TB
    Cool looking line. North peak? You talking about the peak named "Three Brothers Old Lookout" on peakbagger? If so, would your line be from the top down to Gold Creek Basin per the 7.5' map? S aspect? Could you access via Ingalls Creek > Falls Creek > TB/Navaho Pass > Negro Creek? I'll ask around whether anyone has skied it.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Cool looking line. North peak? You talking about the peak named "Three Brothers Old Lookout" on peakbagger? If so, would your line be from the top down to Gold Creek Basin per the 7.5' map? S aspect? Could you access via Ingalls Creek > Falls Creek > TB/Navaho Pass > Negro Creek? I'll ask around whether anyone has skied it.
    I guess it's the east peak. From the top down upper snowfield and then skier's left into the main fall line gully into Gold Creek basin. I'm not sure if going over the shoulder of Iron Mt. from Shaser Creek and dropping into Gold Creek Basin would be best or tempting the bushwack hell of Etienne/Negro Creek would be best. That pic was taken yesterday so there's probably continuous snow from the summit to around 3000-3500'. Coming off the top would be southerly aspect, the main gully is SE from the map. Maybe bike/ski into Gold Creek Basin via Shaser Iron Mt. and bivouac and climb it directly early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    That pic was taken yesterday so there's probably continuous snow from the summit to around 3000-3500'.
    Based on what we saw at (and from) Tronsen yesterday I'd be surprised if there's skiable snow below 4000' that far E. Anyway, Negro Creek is at 4200' at the bottom of that line. The issue will be discontinuous snow on ingress/egress, which can be a bitch this time of year 'tweener season.

Good project. Looking for a TR when you pull it off.

BTW, I just heard that the NF T-way road is open to Johnson-Medra TH with high clearance. Lots of potholes. I'm done touring for awhile, letting the legs recover before a long footrace next weekend in OR, resuming touring around May 17, which should be the beginning of T-way tour prime time.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Based on what we saw at (and from) Tronsen yesterday I'd be surprised if there's skiable snow below 4000' that far E. Anyway, Negro Creek is at 4200' at the bottom of that line. The issue will be discontinuous snow on ingress/egress, which can be a bitch this time of year 'tweener season.

Good project. Looking for a TR when you pull it off.

BTW, I just heard that the NF T-way road is open to Johnson-Medra TH with high clearance. Lots of potholes. I'm done touring for awhile, letting the legs recover before a long footrace next weekend in OR, resuming touring around May 17, which should be the beginning of T-way tour prime time.
    I might try riding up the north fork of Shaser toward Iron Mt. this week and see how it looks.

I got a better view of the line today from the north side of Horse Lake Mt. above Wenatchee and Cashmere on an MTB ride.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tb ne couloir.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	588.9 KB 
ID:	205832
    It's doesn't drop into Gold Creek Basin it's the next drainage north. The picture is looking due west. There's a big sub ridge that separates GCB and this gully.
    Last edited by AaronWright; 05-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Had a nice multi-valley tour up near high2 with Mrs. LS, kai_ski and Mrs. kai.

Some sweet dust on smooth crust up high.

Nisqually chute to bridge yesterday.

Simply sublime smooth coating from Saturday, bluebird, 100 foot walk to the bridge.

Hordes of people on Muir only us and two others had skied the Nisq by 12.40.

Fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Wa pass opens May 16.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Wa pass opens May 16.
    Damn they've kicked ass on that.

Last I remember seeing was early June?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yes.

They're getting close on Chinook Pass, too. Cayuse opens next Fri, Chinook likely by the Fri. after that.

Pics show gratuitous amounts of snow readily available at the roadside for easy touring access

Looks like WA Pass, T-way road end, Chinook and Cayuse are opening up at roughly the same time. Never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    They're getting close on Chinook Pass, too. Cayuse opens next Fri, Chinook likely by the Fri. after that.

Pics show gratuitous amounts of snow readily available at the roadside for easy touring access
    I'm flying to portland on 19th, so I'm hoping to get some laps on Chinook that weekend!

low Snow levels...early openings...best snowpack since '98...FKNA! Somebody fire a flare o'r my bough when Silver Peak is road ready. I'd love to ski Intergalcier this year too.

SNOW IN THE PNW 2016-17: Return of the Shred-i

That is extremely legit.

Stunner. Middle Sister?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hood...

Saturday near Lot 4. 3"?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda