Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    I've got the WRG4 on both our Outbacks. Like them way better than the previous G3 model. Relatively quiet, good grip all year long but they only last about 2 years for us.
    I have them on our Outback. Only a few thousand miles so far, but all good. 29.4 mixed MPG. How many miles did you get out of them?

Falken Wildpeak AT3W is a another truck option. Any one have any experience with them?

General's Arctic 12 will be going on the 4R. Their Altimax Arctics without studs have been great on the passenger vehicle, whatever it has been, for the last 4 winters.....pavement/pseudo-pavement in Maine = all types of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I have them on our Outback. Only a few thousand miles so far, but all good. 29.4 mixed MPG. How many miles did you get out of them?
    We got about 35k on them after a second winter but the noise was unbearable for the wife so it was worth it to me to get the new G4s a few weeks ago.

FWIW, we moved to the Durango area in September of 2015 and my wife has already burned through new sets of Nokian WR's and Toyo Celsius, about 60K total.

I'm done with this type of tire, they just don't hold up around here. Will have to start switching back and forth in winter/spring. PITA but will save $$$ in the long run.
    The Sheriff is near!

Going into winter with 5yr old BFG All-Terrain A/T KO2 all seasons. 52000km, 50% wear so far. Been happy with them on the chevy 1500 for the last few yrs. Some true 4X4 work, but mostly family excursions 60/40 hwy/good gravel road. Anyone got complaints or comments to offer for the back half of tread life?

when I had to back around the last switchback at HBM with some well used Nokians on a Golf I knew it was time for new rubber
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Livin' on the edge is fun, eh?

Chains go in the bed this weekend, just in case I run into deep fresh snow hunting with the family over the next month. I've so far been very impressed with these KO2 though.
    The taco gets its haks on next week; swapping the blizzaks onto the wagon tomorrow. So the quiver is loaded regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Going into winter with 5yr old BFG All-Terrain A/T KO2 all seasons. 52000km, 50% wear so far. Been happy with them on the chevy 1500 for the last few yrs. Some true 4X4 work, but mostly family excursions 60/40 hwy/good gravel road. Anyone got complaints or comments to offer for the back half of tread life?
    Yes, I do. They fucking suck. They get hard and slicker than fuck. Worse than anything I've ever put on a vehicle in 30 years. Including dry/wet/any dirt/mud, anything conditions.

Yes, I do. They fucking suck.

I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my 1st gen Tundra and like them a lot. Had K02's, which I hated due to the harsh ride and sold them with less than 2K miles.

Alrighty then, guess they are like any other all season snowflake, and change compound with >1/3 wear. It was a toss-up between a new airbags update, or fresh rubber. Rubber wins.

I am buying a set of Firestone WeatherGrip for our4WD Explorer. They are 3PMSF rated and have a five year 65,000 mile tread life warranty.

Are 2Funky and I the only people who don't have traction issues with KO2's? Knock on wood mine have been awesome so far, aside from riding on the stiff side.

Great discussion on tire width versus height. Thanks for the input, Jamal, that was informative.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Are 2Funky and I the only people who don't have traction issues with KO2's? Knock on wood mine have been awesome so far, aside from riding on the stiff side.

Great discussion on tire width versus height. Thanks for the input, Jamal, that was informative.
    I've had probably 8 pairs of KO2's and no problems yet. Drive around the mountains in CO year round and haven't had any traction problems, or durability issues. I'm currently in a F150 and used to have a Tacoma. Commute over mountain passes, frequently in snowstorms, on a daily basis every winter for 20+ years.

Yeah but do you keep up with Fred?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my 1st gen Tundra and like them a lot. Had K02's, which I hated due to the harsh ride and sold them with less than 2K miles.
    Yeah I have the Falkens on my 2015 Tundra. I like them.

No issues with KO2 here either, that's what I'll be putting on the new (to me) 4R before winter.

Why is it so hard to find LT C rated tires? E rated are significantly heavier and people talk about how E rated tires are too stiff of a ride if you aren't towing.

But C offers toughness over P and usually has 30-40% more tread depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I roll with nokians in winter but the Goodyear ultra terrain e rated 3PMSF is a really nice tire I’ve been running on my sequoia. Much better ride than my last e rated tire. Pretty sure this tire is exclusive to discount tire

So I have all season Conti cross contact on the MDX and it did fine in the parking lot in 1-2 feet. On a slope I made it 15 feet and done. Yah needed the hakkas

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Why is it so hard to find LT C rated tires? E rated are significantly heavier and people talk about how E rated tires are too stiff of a ride if you aren't towing.

Comes down to demand. But there is more demand developing. More so for fitments in the 15"-16' range and more along the lines of HT and not AT applications. Driven by that Amazon effect for commercial delivery vans.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

My $0.02 is that C load rated AT tires are kind of the worst of both worlds. If they're properly inflated, they're damn near as harsh as an E/10 Ply tire, but are only marginally stronger than P metric tires, and are often almost as heavy as a 10 ply. Remember that with LT (C/D/E) rated tires, they don't achieve their stated load rating until they are inflated to their max PSI (50, 65 and 80 respectively), whereas P metric tires achieve their load rating at 32 PSI.

Most of the C rated tires that fit a 4Runner have load ratings in the 110-115 range, which means you're going to be rolling around at somewhere between 43 and 46 PSI if you want to match the load rating of the stock tires at 32 PSI. That's going to be just as harsh as a properly inflated E rated tire, which would be at 40-42 PSI.

FWIW, after doing a fair amount of FS road driving/ "off roading" in Colorado when I lived in Basalt, I would only run an E rated AT tire. The trails there are rocky, and you live in the mountains too, so it isn't like you're road tripping to Ouray from Dallas before you get offroad.

That being said, now that I putter around Pugetopolis on pavement the vast majority of the time, I may end up going with a C rated Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus when my KO2's wear out/dry rot.

My $0.02 is that C load rated AT tires are kind of the worst of both worlds. If they're properly inflated, they're damn near as harsh as an E/10 Ply tire, but are only marginally stronger than P metric tires, and are often almost as heavy as a 10 ply. Remember that with LT (C/D/E) rated tires, they don't achieve their stated load rating until they are inflated to their max PSI (50, 65 and 80 respectively), whereas P metric tires achieve their load rating at 32 PSI.

Most of the C rated tires that fit a 4Runner have load ratings in the 110-115 range, which means you're going to be rolling around at somewhere between 43 and 46 PSI if you want to match the load rating of the stock tires at 32 PSI. That's going to be just as harsh as a properly inflated E rated tire, which would be at 40-42 PSI.

FWIW, after doing a fair amount of FS road driving/ "off roading" in Colorado when I lived in Basalt, I would only run an E rated AT tire. The trails there are rocky, and you live in the mountains too, so it isn't like you're road tripping to Ouray from Dallas before you get offroad.

That being said, now that I putter around Pugetopolis on pavement the vast majority of the time, I may end up going with a C rated Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus when my KO2's wear out/dry rot.
    Great post.

I'll throw out the Chalk Test, too, for determining correct tire pressure.

That's the general idea but that is not quite how p-metric tires are rated. Also, p-metric tires get de-rated by 10% when used on an SUV/truck.

Couple of links to explain:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=70

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=195

I believe C-rated tires have largely disappeared because of the switch to passenger tires on most suv/cross over/ half-tons has reduced demand. Consumers want a quiet highway ride and don't put any real stress on their tires / manufacturers get better mpg numbers. Folks who want LT tires seem ok with just up-rating to D or E. I always liked C-rated tires and found them to be much more durable than passenger tires. I have found passenger rated tires are not sufficient for suv/light trucks seeing harder use.

Using chalk test, observing tread wear, etc, never found I had to go up more than 5 or so psi for a midsize suv, so approximately 40 psi (remember passenger tires get de-rated 10%). Would increase psi even more for heavy towing / loads / sustained cross country drives. Now I currently run LT E on full size SUV/truck as that is all they seem to make now but would prefer a D or maybe even a C option.

Just got new C-rated KO2s put on our 4Runner at Costco last week. OEM size (265/70/17). Old tires were E-rated Cooper ATWs.

Holy shit I'd forgotten what non-E-rated tires are like on a light truck. Way softer. (Haven't checked the pressure yet.) The regained throttle and brake response versus the heavier tires is noticeable.

FWIW, the ATWs lasted 60k and I liked them. Not to the wear bars at replacement, but starting to get low enough last season that their traction was concerning/annoying. Went with KO2s at Costco due to cost, lighter rating that's more appropriate for our usage (snow, pavement, towing tent trailer, and relatively mellow offroad in summer), and spouse (her daily driver) likes to be able to get them rotated while shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Also, p-metric tires get de-rated by 10% when used on an SUV/truck.
    Well aware of that. Even with the de-rating taken into account, you're going to be airing those C rated tires way up to match the load capacity of the (yes, even de-rated) 116P rated tires that came on my truck.

I'm not a fan of the chalk test, personally. Determining the contact patch when you're stationary doesn't tell you enough about that contact patch in a dynamic situation (i.e. actually driving down the road) to draw any informed conclusions about what pressure is best. I would argue an IR thermometer would be a more valuable tool than some chalk. The temp difference between my KO2's at 35 PSI and 42 PSI is pretty damn dramatic, even after only 15 or 20 miles of driving in moderate temps.

And in the name of some levity around these parts: putting stock size tires on a Toyota truck makes the baby Jesus cry, LightRanger.