Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Markcjr, it seems to depend on the nokian tire. Here's an example https://www.nokiantires.com/innovati...kian-wr-suv-3/
    To be clear, Markcjr was asking about dual compound winter tires. The link you provided didn't confirm those Nokian were dual compound, only that they had a built in tread wear indicator that would indicate when tread depth was too low to reliably prevent hydroplaning in winter slush. They may or may not be dual compound and the link you provided does nothing to answer that question. But your point about paying attention to the specific model is a good one. A tire is much more than a brand name.

In any case, I avoid dual compound winter tires. Sometimes I'm ready to toss the tires when they are half worn, but other times I want to get another 2 or three months use out of them and this is not possible if the winter rubber has worn away. A modern winter tire absolutely depends upon the rubber compound for its performance. An all-weather tire is a huge compromise in this important feature.

Nov 2017 Car and Driver blog listing what are apparently the current available all weather tires:

https://blog.caranddriver.com/all-we...-winter-tires/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Nov 2017 Car and Driver blog listing what are apparently the current available all weather tires:

Cool list, but no Cooper ATW--which is one of the obvious LT options. So makes me wonder if they're missing others...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Cool list, but no Cooper ATW--which is one of the obvious LT options. So makes me wonder if they're missing others...
    Just switched from the Cooper Disco ATW to BFG KO2's and it made a world of difference. Very different performance. Gained 2 mpg, rarely have to even use 4wd anymore, much softer ride too.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Just switched from the Cooper Disco ATW to BFG KO2's and it made a world of difference. Very different performance. Gained 2 mpg, rarely have to even use 4wd anymore, much softer ride too.
    Good to know. I would've gone with KO2s on our 4Runner over the ATWs, but it's wife's DD and she didn't want a tire that looked so aggressive. Likely go with KO2s next time because we can get them at Costco--versus ATW's at BigO which were more expensive and had to be special ordered. She's annoyed enough at getting them rotated at BigO being an inconvenience versus Costco, who will rotate them while she shops, that she's over the less aggressive look now.

All that being said, I've found that I don't have to use 4WD that often with the ATWs either. Generally satisfied with them. My comparison points are KO1s and General Grabber AT2s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

"All weather" tires in place of winter tires

Thanks interesting. Did you go with the same ply rating and size?
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 02-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.

My 3/4 ton truck is currently on Cooper Discoverer ATP, E-load range. They are wearing well, but snow traction isn't very good.
    (Open pickup bed in winter = crap traction.) The previous tire was a BFG A/T copy (Treadwright Warden - yes, retreads), same size, also E range. Those were a much softer rubber, had much better traction in snow, but wore down faster. Also rode smoother than the Coopers, but E range + 3/4 ton pickup = rides like shit anyway. Got rid of them due to suspicious cracking in the sidewalls, though they still had decent tread left. No more retreads for me; didn't really save any $ going that route.

The ATW looks like it has a lot more siping than the ATP, which should make it a better snow tire. The ATP does not have the 3PMSF rating.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks interesting. Did you go with the same ply rating and size?
    Pretty sure yes. Definitely the same size. I went with C rating and not E

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Good to know. I would've gone with KO2s on our 4Runner over the ATWs, but it's wife's DD and she didn't want a tire that looked so aggressive. Likely go with KO2s next time because we can get them at Costco--versus ATW's at BigO which were more expensive and had to be special ordered. She's annoyed enough at getting them rotated at BigO being an inconvenience versus Costco, who will rotate them while she shops, that she's over the less aggressive look now.

All that being said, I've found that I don't have to use 4WD that often with the ATWs either. Generally satisfied with them. My comparison points are KO1s and General Grabber AT2s.
    I had 4 or 5 pairs on my Taco and now the new ones are on my F150.

Yeah, buying at Costco is the shit. Saved $200 and free rotation/Balance/road hazard. Local shop was $200 more with none of the extras. Plus, the wife usually does the Costco trip so she takes care of it!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

upstream. thought i'd quote to add that I also noticed some tires/brands missing...

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Here's a decent list of All-Weather Tires compiled by C&D (doesn't appear to show a bunch of brands though e.g. Cooper, Falken, Conti, Pirelli)

3PMSF passenger-car tires:
    Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady
    Hankook Kinergy 4S (Canada only)
    Michelin CrossClimate + (limited sizes available)
    Nokian WRG3
    Toyo Celsius
    Vredestein Quatrac5
    3PMSF Light-Truck (LT) tires:
    BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT
    BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
    BFGoodrich Commercial T/A Traction
    General Grabber AT2 (select sizes)
    Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (select sizes)
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (all but one size)
    Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
    Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT (select sizes)
    Hankook Dynapro AT-M
    Kumho Road Venture AT51
    Nitto Exo Grappler AWT
    Nokian Rotiiva AT
    Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus
    Nokian WR C3
    Nokian WRG3 SUV
    Toyo Celsius CUV
    Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
    Last edited by klauss; 02-12-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Oops, missed that.

PSA Discount tire has $70 instant rebate on a set of 4 Michelins. No waiting around for the rebate card. Free ship. No tax. April 15th to April 30th.

Also $50 rebate cards with the DTD credit card on 4 tires and it stacks on the Michelin rebate. Apply for instant credit.

Just ordered 8 Michelin Defenders T+H for our Prius V Wagon and Subaru Outback and the total including the rebate cards and shipping was $724.

Will have them mounted at the local Discount tire for same price as if I bought them there. Premium Michelins for the price of middle of the road tires.

I'm on the fence right now about what to do for new shoes for my car. Both my winter and 3 season tires are shot and it won't pass inspection in a few weeks so it's time to make a decision. I like the idea of the new Nokian WRG4 all weather but since it's so new there aren't any good reviews out yet and no telling what kind of mileage they'll sustain. I do 30+k/yr with this car and it sees all kinds of weather but I can drive the old beater Durango when it's snowy so snow performance isn't high on the needs list but cold pavement and wet conditions are. I'd say I do most of the high mileage with the car in the 3 season arena rather than winter though but A LOT of that is in the rain so wet performance is higher than cold. Next would be quiet since so much is on the open road and the pavement in the northeast sux and the most obvious of all of these is handling since they're going on a BRZ that frequently gets driven like a lightweight sports car is supposed to be driven.

The other tire that's high on my hit list is the Nitto Motivo and while it doesn't get the 3 peaks designation it looks like it probably should.

Any thoughts on these two?

For all season the nokian are rated really high. We used to run conti DWS and they did real well on snow but behaved well on paved roads. We liked them for AS
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

That’s a lot of miles. We bought Toyo Celsius which is snow rated and 60k warranty. The Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady looks good as well. I have Nokian tires as well that are great but not the all weather variant.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    For all season the nokian are rated really high. We used to run conti DWS and they did real well on snow but behaved well on paved roads. We liked them for AS
    A few weeks back Discount Tire had a $100 off special on 4 tires over $400 on Ebay. I bought the Conti DWS tires again, as last time I had them I did like the snow performance of them the few times I needed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    A few weeks back Discount Tire had a $100 off special on 4 tires over $400 on Ebay. I bought the Conti DWS tires again, as last time I had them I did like the snow performance of them the few times I needed it.
    That's what I just wore out is Conti Extreme Contact DWS and I really thought I was going to get more miles out of them so was a little disappointed. Yeah I drive it like a sports car sometimes but no burnouts or drifting (well, very little rear end sliding ) it's almost all highway driving and barely got 30k, only ~20 before the S wore through and ~25 for the W. I'm wondering if the EC is a slightly softer durometer rubber and maybe the new DWS 06 would last a bit longer. I sure liked the wet weather performance which also leads me to think softer rubber. I'm still looking for someone that has run the Motivo tires to get some thoughts on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    That's what I just wore out is Conti Extreme Contact DWS and I really thought I was going to get more miles out of them so was a little disappointed. Yeah I drive it like a sports car sometimes but no burnouts or drifting (well, very little rear end sliding ) it's almost all highway driving and barely got 30k, only ~20 before the S wore through and ~25 for the W. I'm wondering if the EC is a slightly softer durometer rubber and maybe the new DWS 06 would last a bit longer. I sure liked the wet weather performance which also leads me to think softer rubber. I'm still looking for someone that has run the Motivo tires to get some thoughts on them.
    I run the conti dws 06 as my summer tire on a turbo forester. I drive it like I stole it and they’re down to 6/32 after 28k or so. Definitely showing less grip as the S wore off the fronts this summer. Probably try to squeak another season but it’s a city /canyon car so I’m not usually far from home.

Bump.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nokian WR G4 yet? They have been mentioned in this thread but I didn't see anyone that has actually bought and used them.

Also, can someone fill me on the the differences between the Hakka 8, 9, and R3? Obviously the 8 and 9 can be studded and the R3 is not. But, I can buy non-studded 8s for $50/tire less than R3s but have no clue what the difference is.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...nd-small-suvs/

I have run the R3's for the last 2 seasons and they rock. No experience with the G4.

I think the difference between the R3 and 9 is basically deep snow performance. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Hybrids and Eco blends act softer on cold pavement and harder on warm pavement. Not better than a full on snow on ice but way better than traditional no season tires of the past.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Bump.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nokian WR G4 yet? They have been mentioned in this thread but I didn't see anyone that has actually bought and used them.

Also, can someone fill me on the the differences between the Hakka 8, 9, and R3? Obviously the 8 and 9 can be studded and the R3 is not. But, I can buy non-studded 8s for $50/tire less than R3s but have no clue what the difference is.
    So I have R3 on my suv and wife has non-studded 8 on hers. I’m more impressed with the 8 for sure. It is higher sidewall on her tire so that may be part of it. But do it over I will get Hakka 8

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

After a couple/few seasons with the canadian tire full winter tires on my 1/2 tonne, I decided to size down my wheels from 20" to 17" and get all weather tires to avoid having to change them.

I bought Kumho Road Venture AT51 tires from 1010tires.com for a little over $600 Canadian including shipping.

My subjective opinion is that they are just as good as the old full winters I had... in that they still slide a little on glare ice but everywhere else they're very confidence inspiring and I feel just as comfortable with them as my previous winters.

I also add over $300 pounds of weight directly over the rear axle until about April to help with rear wheel traction.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

All you Subie owners. What studded tires we running? I’m up this winter

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Bump.

I've got the WRG4 on both our Outbacks. Like them way better than the previous G3 model. Relatively quiet, good grip all year long but they only last about 2 years for us.