Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Any experiences with the Conti Xtreme Contacts? Looking to use them on my AWD MDX for I70 driving.
    Wifey has Conti DWS on her AWD X3 and did fine on Tahoe roads last season.

One thing to think about with all-weather tires instead of two sets is what tread depth you wear them down to. Are you willing to replace those all-weathers when they still have at least 3.5 mm (a bit over 2/16") tread left? Even if it is fall and you could get another summer's life (or more) out of the remaining tread? (Using that figure as it is the legal minimum tread depth for WINTER driving here in British Columbia).

You will Powder specific Skis but not Powder specific tires. This makes no sense to me. My nokian hakkapalita R2 16’s are $125 each
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Any experiences with the Conti Xtreme Contacts? Looking to use them on my AWD MDX for I70 driving.
    Have them on my crosstrek. 20k on them so far. They will be my go to "commute to snow" year around tires from now on. No problems in the snow/ice. Pretty impressive ripping around on windy dry roads too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

"All weather" tires in place of winter tires

With WRG3’s on an AWD XC90, I’ve been very content over a variety of year round conditions. Just adjust driving for conditions.

With highly variable winter conditions, with lots of dry roads and plenty of snow and ice, to off road and trailer hauling in the summer, it’s been nice to not mess with the ‘best tire for the season’ game and swapping wheelsets and tires.

The ride is fine, too for long cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Curious -- what's the actual definition of an "all-weather tire." Does any non-dedicated winter tire with the 3PMSF rating qualify?

If so, I have the Geolandar G015, which has the 3PMSF rating, as a 3-season tire on our Outback. Wanted something that would do fine in the snow when it gets warm enough to adversely affect the wear on the winter tires.

Compared to the Nokian Hakka 8 we run in the winter, they aren't quite as good on snow and not nearly as good on ice. My wife often has to drive alone to go skiing or to a doctor's appointment (over mountain passes) when I'm not in the state, and the studded tires make such a difference without being *that* much worse on dry roads. I was all ready to go with the R2 instead of the studded Hakka 8, but I read a study that compared to non-studded tires (including the R2), the Hakka 8 stopped 15-20 m shorter on ice and 1-2m longer on dry road. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I think we paid about $20 more per tire for the Hakka 8s, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. YMMV.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 10-23-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Another set here, on a Turbo Legacy wagon.

Adequate in dry snow, not aggressive enough for PNWet snot or deeper snow. My (recently retired) piece of shit Firestone snows were better.

"All weather" tires in place of winter tires

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    You will Powder specific Skis but not Powder specific tires. This makes no sense to me. My nokian hakkapalita R2 16’s are $125 each
    I’m getting these put on my outback tomorrow. $670 out the door, in Big Sky. Everything seems more expensive here than in Bozeman, but I think that’s a decent deal for the BEST snow tires installed in a remote area.

Had Blizzaks before, and liked them, but want to try out the Nokians. This soft rubber is like cheating, and worth it IMO for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Everything seems more expensive here than in Bozeman, but I think that’s a decent deal for the BEST snow tires installed in a remote area.
    You should call Interwest down in Belgrade before committing to this. I was out the door for <$500 with Hakka R2 on my Ranger last year. $200 is worth your time and a quarter of the way to another pair of on3p.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    You should call Interwest down in Belgrade before committing to this. I was out the door for <$500 with Hakka R2 on my Ranger last year. $200 is worth your time and a quarter of the way to another pair of on3p.
    They want $670 as well, with the disposal of my current tires. The prices of the tires have gone up, I dont think anyone is doing it less than $600..

I’m getting these put on my outback tomorrow. $670 out the door, in Big Sky. Everything seems more expensive here than in Bozeman, but I think that’s a decent deal for the BEST snow tires installed in a remote area.

Had Blizzaks before, and liked them, but want to try out the Nokians. This soft rubber is like cheating, and worth it IMO for safety reasons.
    Why the R2 over the Hakka 9 studded?

Here's the report I mentioned earlier that basically said the Hakka 8 studded performed about the same as the R2 on dry roads but WAY better on icy/snowy roads: http://www.brunowessel.com/content/p...d_r_review.pdf It's a few years old -- if anyone has a newer study, I'm all ears.

Also, a spokesman for Nokian has stated the only reason to choose the R2 is if you live somewhere it's illegal to use the studs.

If you're against studs for road-wear reasons, that's fine. FWIW, I think the newer "eco-stud" tires are supposed to be better but do whatever you think is right. But I'm just saying from a purely driving/safety perspective, I don't think there's any reason not to get studs, provided the studs are factory-done (correct depth) and not put in by some idiot teenager.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

&quot;All weather&quot; tires in place of winter tires

Mainly road noise, I drive a lot.

I’ll be driving back and forth between Tahoe and Big Sky quite a bit this season, and don’t want to listen to that all the way through Nevada.

Mainly road noise, I drive a lot.

I’ll be driving back and forth between Tahoe and Big Sky quite a bit this season, and don’t want to listen to that all the way through Nevada.
    Not trying to change your mind, but the newer Nokians are quite a bit quieter than others studded tires I've used, maybe because the studs travel into the rubber a bit when they make contact with hard pavement. With the radio at a modest level, I don't notice any difference in road noise at freeway speeds. The studded tires also wear better because the rubber compound doesn't need to be as soft.

photos

I have heard they are getting quieter. I would have to hear it for myself, I am sensitive to droning road noise.

I will probably go studded for my next set, when I will have a garage to change and store other tires.

As another data point, we've got Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D. Haven't taken them in the snow yet, but they've been excellent in the rain and dry so far (our previous summer sport tires basically made our SUV unusable if there was any moisture on the roads).

The conti contact DWS was closest to snow but just not the same class. I drove my snows all summer cause I thought they were done. But nokian goes along way with tread wear. This is season 4 and still at 7/32”
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Why the R2 over the Hakka 9 studded?

Here's the report I mentioned earlier that basically said the Hakka 8 studded performed about the same as the R2 on dry roads but WAY better on icy/snowy roads: http://www.brunowessel.com/content/p...d_r_review.pdf It's a few years old -- if anyone has a newer study, I'm all ears.

Also, a spokesman for Nokian has stated the only reason to choose the R2 is if you live somewhere it's illegal to use the studs.

If you're against studs for road-wear reasons, that's fine. FWIW, I think the newer "eco-stud" tires are supposed to be better but do whatever you think is right. But I'm just saying from a purely driving/safety perspective, I don't think there's any reason not to get studs, provided the studs are factory-done (correct depth) and not put in by some idiot teenager.
    This gives me pause. My R2s are ready for replacement. Maybe there are R9s in my future.

Regarding other comments about the WRG3s, all I can say is that when my Hakkas replace them in November, I'm a much more relaxed driver. You don't know better until you experience it. This is in the context of an '08 Outback. If you have the storage space for a second set of tires, the economics of dedicated snows make it a no-brainer.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    This gives me pause. My R2s are ready for replacement. Maybe there are R9s in my future.

Regarding other comments about the WRG3s, all I can say is that when my Hakkas replace them in November, I'm a much more relaxed driver. You don't know better until you experience it. This is in the context of an '08 Outback. If you have the storage space for a second set of tires, the economics of dedicated snows make it a no-brainer.

... Thom
    “Have you ever tried to get through a day without rationalizing?”

I bet they’d be nicer. I used to swap tires on our Saab and it made a nice ‘peace of mind’ difference in the winter for maybe 5 to 10 times a year. I haven’t on our Outbacks.

With some winters of long dry spells between a few heavy snow conditions, it’s easy to justify avoiding the expense and hassle of removing all weather tires from all wheel or 4x4 vehicles for dedicated winter tires....and I live at 7600 feet.

It only takes one mistake to more than justify swapping tires. After a quick look, what’re the differences between the R2s and R8s? Studs? And now what’s the difference between the R8s and 9’s? With the 9’s, are the 8’s being phased out and dropping in price?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    After a quick look, what’re the differences between the R2s and R8s? Studs? And now what’s the difference between the R8s and 9’s? With the 9’s, are the 8’s being phased out and dropping in price?
    The Hakkapeliitta 8 (or 9) is Nokian's top of the line, factory-studded tire and the Hakkapeliitta R2 is their TOL unstudded tire. Each is optimized to be the best in their respective category -- the R2 has different, softer rubber (to grip without studs) and lower rolling resistance. [Supposedly, you can also buy the Hakka 8 unstudded, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.] The Hakka 8, 9, & R2 come in "SUV" versions with larger sizes; Nokian also makes the Nordman 7 (budget option) and the LT2 (for larger trucks/vans).

Basically, my understanding is the R2 is less noisy, gets better gas mileage, and is less durable than the Hakka 8; based on the report above, the R2 performs about the same as the Hakka 8 in dry conditions but performs quite a bit worse in snow/ice.

The Hakka 9 is the next evolution of the Hakka 8 (which hit the market 5+ years ago), and features a different stud pattern (and looks like more siping, too?). The new stud pattern has two different types of studs: the center studs are directional (optimized for grip in a straight line) while the outer studs are multi-directional (optimized for lateral grip/curves).

No idea if the Hakka 8 will be discounted in light of the Hakka 9 release - but that'd be pretty easy to verify if you try to buy them. Quick eBay search says the 8 and 9 are selling for about the same price in the Gen 5 Outback size (225/65R17).

Again, not saying anyone should run a dedicated winter tire -- just saying if you do, I think it makes sense to run studded.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 10-26-2017 at 10:03 AM.

photos

Studs blow studless out of the water for any ice or mixed snow and ice, they also work much better in the transition zone of 27-37d F. WADOT has recently godecided they hate studded tires and has kept us from getting the season extended even when there is a blizzard in the passes the first week of April. I guess they prefer pulling cars and bodies out of the ditches and crashes to repairing pavement in the summer. It’s pretty petty for a State with high gas taxes and almost always requires you to cross the transition zone. End rant

I agree with XavierD, when I lived in Winthrop it was pretty much three or four weeks in the spring and fall where you weren’t allowed to use your studded snows but there would be black ice or snow on all the roads and passes in the area. When I say passes, it’s only 30 miles or so from Winthrop to Omak over Loup Loup, & a lot of people commuted on that pass. Then on whatever weekend was before or after the day they released the ban, Les Schwab was a zoo trying to get your tires changed.
    Just last weekend approximately 50 cars were off the road on Washington Pass.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Damn, I am so impressed with studless tires as it is, I would probably be blown away by studded!

Damn, I am so impressed with studless tires as it is, I would probably be blown away by studded!

On iced over corners you can actually feel the tires biting in turn depending on how your all-wheel-drive system works. Even on something like black ice where you’re driving let’s say at 50 miles an hour and your car starts to slide over, the studs give you that extra time, where if you didn’t have them, you would just go sideways.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Have a set of Hakk 8's on beater rims for winter. At freeway speeds the noise is barely noticeable, but I have the louder TRD exhaust on the Tundra, so I imagine they'd be more easily heard on quieter vehicles.

3 seasons and roughly 20k miles and they still look relatively new.

I switched over to Ko2's for our studless months last year and although they're an amazing tire that far exceeded my expectations in the snow, I definitely had to adjust my driving style on the mountain. Hakk 8's endorse complacency in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Have a set of Hakk 8's on beater rims for winter. At freeway speeds the noise is barely noticeable, but I have the louder TRD exhaust on the Tundra, so I imagine they'd be more easily heard on quieter vehicles.
    Good to know. My outback is oddly loud.