Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    I remember this day Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1636742438.922049.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	392473
    March 14 2020. Snowed 39” overnight and a storm total 45” in 24 hours. Low teens. The pandemic killed the season the following day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ...when telemark was cool?
    no
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Memba last day of the season, 1988. McConkeys area was closed for the season and had been for a couple of weeks and me and 3 other very identifiable local types side stepped way up to the top of the west face and then took off hiking with a PC Volunteer patroller yelling at us to stop. Got to the traverse around the south side of Jupiter and kept going to Daley Bowls. Patrol friends told me later there was a whole posse waiting around near the bottom of the Pioneer lift to take us into custody.

We skied Daley bowl and then down though Empire canyon and on the way we hit 4-5 big mine dumps that were like found money to the top of Main street and caught the bus back to the base area. When I was confronted the next day I denied it as did the other 3 Hoodlums. They couldn't prove it was me but I lost my entire season end bonus anyway. Maybe 400 bucks but the skiing was really good and I got it down to a cost of around 3 bucks a turn.

Later when I was a boss and my employees did stupid shit I would try and remember my younger self and what a pain in the ass I was. It helped a little.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Memba when you could work 25 hours a week for $7/hr and still live in a ski town, skiing the employee pass and dumpster skis and hitchhiking everywhere and eating leftover continental breakfast from your buddy at the hotel or un-eaten fries from your buddy the dishwasher?

Once a month jumpstart the truck to drive to town to do laundry and get 10/$1 ramen noodles and a mcdonalds cheeseburger…

I memba!
    I hells yeah, I memba that life!

Poaching the free coffee and biscuits from the Snake River Lodge lobby, eating saltines and green tobacco sauce for lunch from the Casper restaurant and skiing from bell to bell mostly fueled by weed. Also skiing on dumpster skis or whatever demos my friends in shops or at Igneous could throw my way for any period of time. Ducking ropes and skiing fresh runs, every run all day long and walk on trams.

Hitch hiking to the Butte for the free skiing week in April with my bud from the Boat while eating shrooms the entire way. It took us a good two days to get there.

Hate hucking like a madman off anything and everything when there was fresh and a lot of time when there wasn't.

The mid to late 90,s and early 2000's were the good life for the American ski bum. I can't imagine trying to do it now.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The mid to late 70,s to the early 2000's were the good life for the American ski bum. I can't imagine trying to do it now.
    FIFY.

Truly the golden age.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I remember this day Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1636742438.922049.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	392473
    March 14 2020. Snowed 39” overnight and a storm total 45” in 24 hours. Low teens. The pandemic killed the season the following day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I remember I made the drive over to Mission from Snoqualmie to ski that day. Silly deep.

Steamboats BIG January of 96. I think it was around 260 inches in 28 days or something very close to that. I literally moved into town that New Years Eve as it started and skied every day. That was some crazy timing. The old timers still talk about that month as the best they've ever seen.

The ElNino season of 04/05 right here in Arizona. We totaled out right around 500 inches by May. We were skiing waist deep pow on the Halloween weekend and May saw at least 4 feet if not more. We had folks coming down from Whistler looking for snow to ski. It was an extreme drought in the PNW.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'm not sure he reads this thread, but hey, MakersTelemark, memba back in December 2002 when we drove to Steamboat and they reported 3" and there was 20" on the hill? I memba.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My first year in Jackson it seemed to snow 4 to 7“ everynight, top up the week with 16 to 18“ and then go bluebird.
    Fun first year in Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    My first year in Jackson it seemed to snow 4 to 7“ everynight, top up the week with 16 to 18“ and then go bluebird.
    Fun first year in Jackson.
    What year was that? My first season seemed like that too. There was a constant flow all through January and February for sure.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm not sure he reads this thread, but hey, MakersTelemark, memba back in December 2002 when we drove to Steamboat and they reported 3" and there was 20" on the hill? I memba.
    I very much do. I took a big digger on my skinny skis and choked and panicked because I couldn't tell which way was up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Being the head diver at the Steamboat Springs Diner in 96. I worked nights, had a shift meal, couple shifter beers and a ski pass from that job. I fucked almost every damn waitress in that place. My boss Mike had a biker buddy that would come up from Denver every couple of weeks that would hand me pounds of weed and ask to be paid later. I'd take those bags, stuff em in my backpack and take the bus cross town. Fuck that bus stank like a skunk crawled up in there, shit itself and then died. The looks from everyone would crack me the fuck up. I was making some very easy bucks, big bucks for a 21 year old dish washing ski bum.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Being the head diver at the Steamboat Springs Diner in 96. I worked nights, had a shift meal, couple shifter beers and a ski pass from that job. I fucked almost every damn waitress in that place. My boss Mike had a biker buddy that would come up from Denver every couple of weeks that would hand me pounds of weed and ask to be paid later. I'd take those bags, stuff em in my backpack and take the bus cross town. Fuck that bus stank like a skunk crawled up in there, shit itself and then died. The looks from everyone would crack me the fuck up. I was making some very easy bucks, big bucks for a 21 year old dish washing ski bum.
    Different times for sure...the amount of powder that the average ski bum skied in the 90s was just insane. My friends and I always took ski vacation the last week of February. Some year in the late 90s we went to Salt Lake and it snowed some ungodly amount. We stayed on the bench in Sandy at some big house we rented and it snowed a couple of feet there. It was certainly the deepest in bounds pow I can remember skiing.

You'd look at from the top of the backside at Alta and just see people wallowing in the flats. You'd have to phyc yourself up to straightline as high up as you dared and risk blowing up just not too waste an hour of your day skootching.

It was also the only time I've seen a skier doing that burrowing thing you seen in the old school movies. LCC was closed one day so we went to SorryDude...well it wasn't sorry that day. I was the only one that had been there I kinda did that "I cruise down here and then we'll meet up". I stopped and watched two of my friends ski within 20 feet of me and have no idea I was there. They stopped further down the slope and looked around with that "where am I" look.

I'm guessing that many who missed this golden age don't really know what The White Room is.

Different times for sure...the amount of powder that the average ski bum skied in the 90s was just insane. My friends and I always took ski vacation the last week of February. Some year in the late 90s we went to Salt Lake and it snowed some ungodly amount. We stayed on the bench in Sandy at some big house we rented and it snowed a couple of feet there. It was certainly the deepest in bounds pow I can remember skiing.

You'd look at from the top of the backside at Alta and just see people wallowing in the flats. You'd have to phyc yourself up to straightline as high up as you dared and risk blowing up just not too waste an hour of your day skootching.

It was also the only time I've seen a skier doing that burrowing thing you seen in the old school movies. LCC was closed one day so we went to SorryDude...well it wasn't sorry that day. I was the only one that had been there I kinda did that "I cruise down here and then we'll meet up". I stopped and watched two of my friends ski within 20 feet of me and have no idea I was there. They stopped further down the slope and looked around with that "where am I" look.

I'm guessing that many who missed this golden age don't really know what The White Room is.

What year was that? My first season seemed like that too. There was a constant flow all through January and February for sure.
    07/08

CB Ski Patrol '76
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cbpatrol.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	392645

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

i miss the og pow mag
    there was a good intro on how short n sweet the window and opportunity of over the head cold smoke blower white room pow experiences are
    and how much we sacrifice to attempt enter that room
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Nice, the best memory in the next one. I need to see my old friends. Let's go skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Nice, the best memory in the next one. I need to see my old friends. Let's go skiing!
    Stuff is shaping so that thing#1 and I may be down CO way come January.
    Will ping.

Oh the membaberries of Alta in the 70s, dealing purple barrel, trading for crash space and those single ride movie tickets, acres of untrammeled snow pre fat ski. Lap after lap in the Ballroom lightly slices pow. Playing hide from the super in employee housing, sleeping under benches in the old Watson, waiting in the cold up in the trees until the managers left.

Hiking out the Castle, lobbing meat in Eagles Nest, sn00ting around Snowbird, raging firsties in Silver Fox, burials off GadII.

Had an unfurnished apartment along North Temple from which we'd leave in the wet dark to hitch up to LCC. Pitied by SLC cops, they'd stop, throw our skis into the cruisers cavernous trunk and give us rides all the way to the BCC parking lot.

Got caught by the town Marshall trying to crash in the Peruvian, still holding barrel while he ran our ids and let us go to "sleep" in an employee's VW bug in the Peruvian back lot. Day of delirious deep.

Solitude was closed that year, but Brighton was so fun in the Millicent area and booting up Emmigrant (?), lofting cliffs, chewing snow.

I memba.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Buster, beers are on me if you make it to Colorado. I also owe Foggy beers too. Y'all have both provided me lots of help (on different topics) over the years.

I'll be splitting time mostly between Eldora and Winter Park this season.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Don't memba

Name:  257676188_10226606710062849_7854413018857241224_n.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  91.1 KB
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Stuff is shaping so that thing#1 and I may be down CO way come January.
    Will ping.

Oh the membaberries of Alta in the 70s, dealing purple barrel, trading for crash space and those single ride movie tickets, acres of untrammeled snow pre fat ski. Lap after lap in the Ballroom lightly slices pow. Playing hide from the super in employee housing, sleeping under benches in the old Watson, waiting in the cold up in the trees until the managers left.

Hiking out the Castle, lobbing meat in Eagles Nest, sn00ting around Snowbird, raging firsties in Silver Fox, burials off GadII.

Had an unfurnished apartment along North Temple from which we'd leave in the wet dark to hitch up to LCC. Pitied by SLC cops, they'd stop, throw our skis into the cruisers cavernous trunk and give us rides all the way to the BCC parking lot.

Got caught by the town Marshall trying to crash in the Peruvian, still holding barrel while he ran our ids and let us go to "sleep" in an employee's VW bug in the Peruvian back lot. Day of delirious deep.

Solitude was closed that year, but Brighton was so fun in the Millicent area and booting up Emmigrant (?), lofting cliffs, chewing snow.

I memba.
    The single ride tickets were awesome. The last time I skied there was in 2013 and I asked the gal at the window if they still had the them, she laughed and told me that it must have been a long time since I'd skied there. She was cute, I felt old.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Interlodged, 98. I snuck up to Sitzmark to watch the heli drop bombs on all of the stuff across the street. Watched a big old ripper come down and hit the Peruvian Lodge, taking out the ski shop. It was wild. the skiing later that day was DEEP.

There was a rescue chopper that went down year killing everyone on board. Busses were ran over by wet slides and a PWL that haunted patrol nearly all season.

LCC is a nutty place!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I remember.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0229(1).jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1,023.8 KB 
ID:	392948