Soft snow hero ski for intermediate

Buddy is planning his first ski trip out west. Solid intermediate (and will probably never progress much beyond that), and looking to venture off the groomers.

What's the current go-to ski for making an intermediate feel like a hero in soft snow? A few years ago I think it was the Rossignol S7. Would the Soul 7 still be the choice here? Definitely not looking for a TGR-approved full metal charger, but it still has to ski reasonably well on groomers.

Soul 7

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Soul 7
    Sin7 is a little narrower and cheaper too.

Praxis GPO or Concept.

Of course depending on buddy's size, width preferences, etc...

I would lean towards Nordicas offerings. I assume you don't mean intermediate in the strictest sense (blues only skier). The stability they offer over Rossi is worth it to a broad range, but thry are heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Praxis GPO or Concept.

Of course depending on buddy's size, width preferences, etc...
    ^^^this^^^
    My sister sounds a lot like your homie, her soft snow ski is the gpo, fuckin loves them! She'll wait until conditions are absolute crap to put em away, and she has some super fun hard snow skis if that tells ya anything. I think my Concepts are a lot better than my gpos in the firm but require more driving in the soft, (more than a couple inches) not in a bad way by any means, but the gpo just makes anything soft so damn easy
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Automatic Automatic 109 or 117

Salomon BBR
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

^^^^ haha they still make that? "Soft snow hero ski for intermediate" should have been stenciled somewhere in the top sheet. Don't forget "low speed only" as well. Might be a great choice really

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Automatic Automatic 109 or 117
    Good suggestion. Dead easy to ski, enough backbone, and can be found at reasonable price.

Soul 7 and the Atomic Automatic is another great suggestion... I would not go over 110 underfoot for someone that skis mostly groomed and has little experience with off piste and wider skis...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Buddy is planning his first ski trip out west. Solid intermediate (and will probably never progress much beyond that), and looking to venture off the groomers.
    a groomer is a groomer so assuming whatever he alredy owns is up to date enough it will probably be fine if all he skis is groomers

Instead of spending a bunch of $$$ on a ski he maybe uses once a year just rent a pow ski if needed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Agreed. He might not adapt well to a wider stance - especially on less than a couple inches of new snow.

Of course, intermediates tend to not push the fronts of their skis, so if his current skis are full camber, then something with early rise might be an epiphany for him. Hard to predict.

Demoing for the week makes a lot of sense. Sometimes, we get too wrapped up in solving problems for our buddies. I know I'm guilty as charged in his regard.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

JJ
    Rocker2 108
    Automatic 109

Mtlion's smoking deal on 179/186 Automatics

Or find some 109s
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Automatics are now Backlands, if he winds up demoing (or buying) new skis. I agree with demoing.

JJ's

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Soul 7 and the Atomic Automatic is another great suggestion... I would not go over 110 underfoot for someone that skis mostly groomed and has little experience with off piste and wider skis...
    +1

Intermediate 98mm to 104mm, 1.5 taper (+/-), traditional camber, wood core (they're beyond composite crap and it'll help them with their rebound). Length will be weight and height dependent obviously, but too wide a ski they can't A frame into their turns, which intermediates and advanced intermediates want out of a ski. Edge time, all the time. Easiness. As well, wider waist likely means more swing weight - not so fun for someone seeking fun and progress.

2 cents.