Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sweet, thanks, they were out of stock last week and they were supposed to email me when they were back in stock.

So if I'm getting the jester sole ID bindings, and will be skiing them with Scarpa Freedom SL boots, is it better to use the piste soles for in bounds? More reliable releases i would imagine, and less of The pre releasing on g outs due to the rubber compacting and then rebounding?? Besides walking to my car I guess I don't really need the rockered soles all that much, though they would be nice for the hikes. the boots just fit me well so I went with them. I use maestrale rs boots for touring so these are strictly inbounds

Be aware that these lift the toe up a lot. I installed a pair and so far am really not liking the change in ramp angle.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybryan View Post
    Be aware that these lift the toe up a lot. I installed a pair and so far am really not liking the change in ramp angle.
    This is my concern as well, considering different options, can you let us know how they ski when you get on em?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Will do. Do not like the thought of an upward ramp angle. May just ski them with the at sole and deal with the tentative not as smooth release. I don't fall that often but have had ACL surgery and don't want to have more. Probably still buy it and try it though. It's only forty bucks

With a P18 and Lange RX130, I switched to P18WTR and Lange XT Freetour 130s, and my boot board ramp angle decreased by 0.7%.
    I skied the P18 RX combo and the P18WTR XT combo back to back on the same ski and was not affected by the slight ramp angle change.
    The angle change is the same as the difference between a P18 and a P14.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    With a P18 and Lange RX130, I switched to P18WTR and Lange XT Freetour 130s, and my boot board ramp angle decreased by 0.7%.
    I skied the P18 RX combo and the P18WTR XT combo back to back on the same ski and was not affected by the slight ramp angle change.
    Dee Hubbs, do you happen to know if you need longer screws for the P18 WTR AFDs?

Yes longer screws are needed. I am sorry I didn't measure them before the install, but I believe they were +2mm or +3mm
    P18s when new come with a 5mm (4+1) shim and +4.5mm screws.
    I remember checking if those would work and they were too long to use on the WTR AFD.

Yes longer screws are needed. I am sorry I didn't measure them before the install, but I believe they were +2mm or +3mm
    P18s when new come with a 5mm (4+1) shim and +4.5mm screws.
    I remember checking if those would work and they were too long to use on the WTR AFD.
    Ok - when you say +3mm does that mean 3mm longer than the standard screws that come with the P18 and the standard AFD with no shim?

^ correct.

^ correct.
    Got it - thanks!

Can't disagree with your logic, but I had a much different experience.

Before: Dynafit Titan, Blizzard Bonafides with FKS 18s (using alpine sole blocks). DPS Wailer 112RPs with Dynafits.
    After: Lange Freetour 130 LV, Blizzard Bonafides with FKS 18s (with WTR conversion). Same DPSs.

In my experience, The Wailers skied the same, but I felt very backseat on the Bonafides. I also feel the Titan's are a much more upright boot and expected the forward lean of the Lange would compensate.

Old style on top and new style on the bottom.

The AFDs are different, the WTR one has the same cutouts as the one on the right.
    Given these images, shouldn't the old school P18s be compatible? The only significant difference is the two horizontal rectangular blocks. These are voids in the old P18 base plate but that old base plate was (from memory) metal so it's neither here nor there if they are filled with the plastic block of the new WTR plates, no?

Aslo note, these are WTR compatible....not GripWalk. Gripwalk is a different shape and height. This is why with the Dual toe, when using Gripwalk, you leave it in the Alpine position.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Is there such a thing as a Dual plate for P18s as well as the WTR plate? I.e. with a mech AFD? I have the same ninja P18s that it sounds like eskido has. Lots of life left in them and considering some GripWalk boots but I wouldn't want to use GWs with the vanilla old school AFD. I might however with the Dual AFD.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Is there such a thing as a Dual plate for P18s as well as the WTR plate? I.e. with a mech AFD? I have the same ninja P18s that it sounds like eskido has. Lots of life left in them and considering some GripWalk boots but I wouldn't want to use GWs with the vanilla old school AFD. I might however with the Dual AFD.
    I don't think so, the old 12/14 toe had a different pedestal than the 15/18. My gut is we will see something pretty soon with Look saying the Duals (would then be Trips now?) are GW friendly.
    Click. Point. Chute.

To confirm: NOT compatible with FKS 140, correct?

There's a differene between 18s and 14s?
    I've always felt that my 18s feel "tighter" than my 14s at the same BSL with Cochise 130s. I have to adjust the heel rods further back, But.....I havn't drilled the holes myself so there is a chance someone fucked up ever so slightly

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    There's a differene between 18s and 14s?
    I've always felt that my 18s feel "tighter" than my 14s at the same BSL with Cochise 130s. I have to adjust the heel rods further back, But.....I havn't drilled the holes myself so there is a chance someone fucked up ever so slightly
    Yes the toe on a 14 sits higher than an 18. This is why the 18s come with toe risers to match the angle. The jig is set for the same for the 14s and 18s. The heels are identical, and the only difference is that the 14 toes sit a bit higher, so the length from the heel to toe is technically longer, but its a a matter of millimeters. Think how the hypotenuse of a triangle is longer than the base. The toe lugs also sits a little deeper into the P14 toe, but again we are talking millimeters.
    The boot length setting on the jig is not exact. I use to close the jig 3mm from my actual boot length to get the arms in the middle. I now use a paper jig and know the exact spot for my boots.

The toe lugs also sits a little deeper into the P14 toe, but again we are talking millimeters.
    Yeah, I thought so. Probably explains why I have to adjust P18s slightly further back.

Resurrecting this old thread.

Anyone know where I could score the replacement AFD these days?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Look have now discontinued the WTR AFD for the P18. I purchased their remaining stock a couple of years ago (which was only 5/6 pairs) and my last one went a few weeks ago. The only way you'll find a pair is to scour Look/Rossi/Dynastar dealers to see if anyone still has a set.

The only P18 AFD's that are available are the original flat alpine version and the latest GW version. The GW version also works for alpine soles.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Look have now discontinued the WTR AFD for the P18. I purchased their remaining stock a couple of years ago (which was only 5/6 pairs) and my last one went a few weeks ago. The only way you'll find a pair is to scour Look/Rossi/Dynastar dealers to see if anyone still has a set.

The only P18 AFD's that are available are the original flat alpine version and the latest GW version. The GW version also works for alpine soles.
    GW works for what I got, any idea where I could find a set, or is this a "I need to reach out to a dealer" thing?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    GW works for what I got, any idea where I could find a set, or is this a "I need to reach out to a dealer" thing?

IIRC mr_pretzel had a stash of GW ones that he wanted to swap for the older alpine versions.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread.

Anyone know where I could score the replacement AFD these days?
    I have a pair of NIP WTR AFDs somewhere. I'll dig them up. $30?