Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2016-7 Scarpa F1 Evo

New improved F1s. Such amazing boots. Soooo happy to get them back. Fits me like a glove

http://www.scarpa.net/en/f1.html

To build on a previous review posted here http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...g-boot-2014-15 . I had to give back my old boots due to the recall

Note that Kingpin compatible is now a thing

No other changes beyond fixing the walk mode? Ie same decent lateral stiffness (you equated to mango maestale?) but kinda squishy for driving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    No other changes beyond fixing the walk mode? Ie same decent lateral stiffness (you equated to mango maestale?) but kinda squishy for driving forward?
    A little bit more of a pronounced rear ledge so it works with Kingpin. Performance feels the same on carpet test. Not on snow yet

Soles are different rubber and there is a nesting rivet for the tongue.

Are they any easier to get on and off than the old version?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Oh yes. The old one was a pain. This one's way easier

Depends on your midfoot volume/instep height. With the orange tongue pulled up off the nesting rivet, they are easier to put on my foot than the old design but still not "easy."

Yes

These really ski as well as the old mango maestrales? Time to replace the maestrales and debating if I should go stiffer (e.g. mtn Lab) or light (e.g. f1).

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    These really ski as well as the old mango maestrales? Time to replace the maestrales and debating if I should go stiffer (e.g. mtn Lab) or light (e.g. f1).
    Based on 10 days of so I'd say yes

well. that's tempting.

Just bought a pair. Best out of the box heal grip of any boot I've tried on.

Does anyone know if the 'Primary Hp Polyammide' shell will hold a punch?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Does anyone know if the 'Primary Hp Polyammide' shell will hold a punch?
    It does but punch gently and slowly

^^^Oh shit, I emailed Scarpa about this and heard back, but I forgot to post. They said basically that same thing:
    The lower shell will be able to punched, but the material is thin compared to other boots. Therefore, you won’t be able to stretch the material as much as a traditional boot. On the plus side, it is built on a 102mm last which is wider than our other boots as well.
    I hope this helps!
    But thanks, LL.

I did the liner molding for a friend last week. Seems like a pretty nice boot. He's hard on his toys though, I'll be interested to see how they hold up.

F1's will fit me well with navicular punch and maybe a 6th toe. Any reason a navicular punch might be problem?

Anybody tried on these and the Proclines?

Thanks

Took mine out for their maiden voyage today - skinned up/skied down about 1500' vert. I had the first gen 26.0 and I couldn't even get them on my feet, then had the 2nd gen in a 27.0 and had a two-finger + shell fit so I never bothered to use them before I had to send them back. Now back in the 26.0 and they seem to be just fine. I was worried that a one-finger shell fit would be too tight but now that they're molded all is well.

It's a bit finicky getting the tongue of the boot and liner all lined up properly when you're putting them on but it's not that big of a deal. Different, but not really any worse than the Maestrale RS I am used to.

The weight is great and so far they ski fine. Day 1 initial impression = I'm guessing my Maestrale RS will start to gather dust.

BTW, the proper name for these is just "F1" The "evo" part has been dropped.

edit: one thing that is annoying is that cuff doesn't have a cant rivet. It's straight up and down. Not ideal for my legs.
    Last edited by hop; 11-18-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    F1's will fit me well with navicular punch and maybe a 6th toe. Any reason a navicular punch might be problem?

Anybody tried on these and the Proclines?

Thanks
    Procline is a tad tighter at toe and at instep. But I'd have bet that would be cured by a liner cook. That was just a carpet test fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    The weight is great and so far they ski fine. Day 1 initial impression = I'm guessing my Maestrale RS will start to gather dust.

BTW, the proper name for these is just "F1" The "evo" part has been dropped.

edit: one thing that is annoying is that cuff doesn't have a cant rivet. It's straight up and down. Not ideal for my legs.
    Yah i brainfarted on the Evo bit. There's also a forward lean adjustment so you can flip around the receiving part of the lock mechanism so it changes from 18 to 22 deg. But I kind of like boots that are a bit more upright so left it at factory setting. Did you try that ?

Guess Scarpa had to keep it simple for canting and drop weight somehow. It looks like you could take out the stock rivet and put in a cant rivet.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Yah i brainfarted on the Evo bit. There's also a forward lean adjustment so you can flip around the receiving part of the lock mechanism so it changes from 18 to 22 deg. But I kind of like boots that are a bit more upright so left it at factory setting. Did you try that ?

Guess Scarpa had to keep it simple for canting and drop weight somehow. It looks like you could take out the stock rivet and put in a cant rivet.
    The forward lean is fine. No issues there. Cant = lateral. I can't imagine a cant rivet would add more weight vs. a normal rivet; they are basically the same amount of metal, just in different places on the rivet. Even if they did add a couple grams I think the benefits of being able to properly aligning the cuff to the leg of the user would be worth it.

The Bonin Petrels

What skis are people pairing with these? I'm eyeing an F1 - Dhaulagiri setup as my main, every day, do it all touring setup this year and wondering people's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Practitioner View Post
    What skis are people pairing with these? I'm eyeing an F1 - Dhaulagiri setup as my main, every day, do it all touring setup this year and wondering people's thoughts.
    I've now got two days - both with 177cm Coomback 104s. I'll probably ski these on skis up to the 115mm class; anything bigger than that and I'm generally on tele gear.

The Bonin Petrels

F1 flex compared to TLT6P (with tongue)?

Hop, Lee, et al, would you mind elaborating on the Maestrale comparison?

I'm on 5yo Mangos for touring, and sometimes when a lot of bootpacking and ridge hiking is called for. They'll die one day, though. Do the Evos feel much less substantial?

Quote Originally Posted by Practitioner View Post
    I had them with G3 Spitfires and Zenoxides. Also tried with Blizzard ZeroG 95s and will try with Salomon Mtn 88s. So a bit more the lighter boots with the lighter, quicker skis