Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Hop, Lee, et al, would you mind elaborating on the Maestrale comparison?

I'm on 5yo Mangos for touring, and sometimes when a lot of bootpacking and ridge hiking is called for. They'll die one day, though. Do the Evos feel much less substantial?
    adrenalated. Don't know re TLT6P.

Island - there's more about it on the original model with auto lock review. Laterally just as stiff. More abrupt feel though than the smooth flex of the mango. I'm assuming the new F1 will ski somewhat like the old one but that's probably not true as the tongue has been modified

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Hop, Lee, et al, would you mind elaborating on the Maestrale comparison?

I'm on 5yo Mangos for touring, and sometimes when a lot of bootpacking and ridge hiking is called for. They'll die one day, though. Do the Evos feel much less substantial?
    On the feet they feel much less substantial if weight = substantial. The cuffs are the same height. Tongues on the F1 are softer. The F1 is a better hiker because it's lighter, has better articulation, and the shell is 1cm shorter at the same mondo.

I've only got two days in pow on the F1 and the last time I skied the Maestrale RS was last season but so far they ski pretty similar. I haven't skied the F1 on hardpack or firm snow so maybe I'll notice a difference there. Overall the tongues on the F1 are a touch softer but that doesn't bother me since I'm normally on free heel gear - ANY fixed heel setup feels stiff to me. If you are one of those people whose weight, ego, or snow surface demands the stiffest gnarliest boot then you might want to look elsewhere.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Thanks, Hop. Nope, I'm all for softer boots, and have never had the Maestrales "fold on me". I generally don't ski with a lot of alpha males, and nobody has ridiculed me about my boot selection.
    I do love the smooth, gradual flex of the Maestrales. Haven't seen a single pair in NZ, but will be in the Alps in April; hopefully I can try some out there.

Finally made some turns with these guys this weekend. Driving a ZeroG 108 w/Vipecs, i'm definitely not a charger. hardpack mixed with softer snow, awesome in the soft stuff, but struggled a bit driving the ZeroG on the hardpack (to be expected). Really diggin the boot.

I tried these on and was fairly impressed, as Leelau has stated they seem pretty stiff for the weight. One thing I was curious about was the velcro buckle. I assume the idea is to set it so you flip it open to tour and close it to ski, but dont actually adjust the velcro during the day. However, to me it seemed like if I had the velcro tight enough that the boot would be tight enough when I closed the buckle it seemed like it limited the touring range of motion some when it was open. Constantly adjusting the velcro seems like it would be a bit annoying. Of course this was all carpet tested in an unmolded boot.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I tried these on and was fairly impressed, as Leelau has stated they seem pretty stiff for the weight. One thing I was curious about was the velcro buckle. I assume the idea is to set it so you flip it open to tour and close it to ski, but dont actually adjust the velcro during the day. However, to me it seemed like if I had the velcro tight enough that the boot would be tight enough when I closed the buckle it seemed like it limited the touring range of motion some when it was open. Constantly adjusting the velcro seems like it would be a bit annoying. Of course this was all carpet tested in an unmolded boot.
    I agree with your assessment about the velcro strap. I think my practice will be:

Skinning on flats (where range of motion really adds efficiency): Loosen the velcro
    Skinning laps on a steeper skin track (where shorter strides are more efficient): No need to loosen velcro.

Seems like the similar, but removable (I think) buckles from the K2 Pinnacle 130 http://en-us.k2skis.com/ski-boots/pinnacle-130 would be an improvement, except I guess then the whole strap would just be flopping around...

Yeah, that top velcro buckle needs to be longer IMO. I felt that it didn't loosen enough or provide enough leverage to buckle tightly. The buckle on the Travers Carbon is longer, with a longer slot so it loosens more. Kind of like the TLT buckles.

2016-7 Scarpa F1 Evo

Kind of agree with this from shop testing. Also had the same problem with the Cochise buckled powerstrap. As mentioned, K2 Pinnacle's powerstrap buckle would work probably? I put that on my Cochise and liked it enough. Worked well. Gotta park it inside your pants when touring though.

2016-7 Scarpa F1 Evo

Paging auvgeek. This thing has a super aggressive heel pocket. No way in hell would it ever fit me. Rivets are too close to where I'd need it punched. Bummed, it seemed like an awesome boot otherwise. Should be a great boot for people who want the TLT6 fit but are bummed by the new last of the TLT7.

I'm not sure I even understand the point of the velcro buckle. I guess its wider than a normal buckle, but I'm not sure if that really makes much a difference. Would it work just as well to replace the velcro strap with a fairly wide more traditional buckle, like one from a MTN Lab or Maestrale RS?

I'm not sure I even understand the point of the velcro buckle. I guess its wider than a normal buckle, but I'm not sure if that really makes much a difference. Would it work just as well to replace the velcro strap with a fairly wide more traditional buckle, like one from a MTN Lab or Maestrale RS?
    When I ski with the velcro buckle loose the F1 doesnt feel terribly progressive. It's only when its reasonably snug that the big velcro seems to work.

I agree that the latch to loosen the velcro should do more and suggested the same to Scarpa in the first rev of the F1. Lindahl fyi the throw on the F1s buckle is more than the Tecnica's buckle but both don't change enough tension. Perhaps it needs a longer lever arm.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I agree with your assessment about the velcro strap. I think my practice will be:

Skinning on flats (where range of motion really adds efficiency): Loosen the velcro
    Skinning laps on a steeper skin track (where shorter strides are more efficient): No need to loosen velcro.
    Exactly what I've been doing

Spent most of the day skiing mostly smooth but firm to cuff-deep snow in my F1s. Pleasantly surprised how well they handled the firmer snow and general shredding on a 115mm waisted ski. Definitely felt softer than my Maestrale RS but that's not a big deal - keep in mind I'm normally on tele gear so any fixed heel setup feels burly to me.

One thing I have noticed is that they are significantly colder than either the Maestrale RS or TX-comp. I guess all that weight reduction, thinner liner, and smaller shell makes for a colder boot. LeeLau suggested some punches and fixes for adding insulation but I'll see if this is really a big enough deal with further skiing.

I still miss the cuff cant rivet.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Yah what hop said. The Intuition OE liner for Scarpa has pretty thin foam to accommodate footbeds. But the supplied footbeds are pretty thin so I stuck cork footbeds in. Now the boots are decently warm so I think the heatloss was leakage from the bottom of the feet

Mod from Aaron to lessen the forward lean angle of the Scarpa F1. Current walk mech is 20 - 22 degres which is pretty darn forward

Google album https://goo.gl/photos/TFDKHk3u81hyCxqcA

More "Yes, pins are hammered back in hole but…the head needs a ~half width stepped shoulder wider than the main hole. The pin flares slightly, then the head is slightly wider yet. I used 5/32 for main hole and 11/64 for stepped shoulder. Definitely a drill press job ( I have a cheap one with a fair bit of runout, still was fine). Worth test drilling some scrap aluminum and jigging up the position so it does not change/move."

I've heard of some cracks forming in the orange tongue on this boot... anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCentralShralper View Post
    I've heard of some cracks forming in the orange tongue on this boot... anyone else experience this?
    Nothing heard here

Full review http://www.doglotion.com/scarpa-f1-2...ng-boot-review

REVIEW

The Scarpa F1 tours shockingly well. I would have been surprised to report otherwise. There’s very little to dislike about a boot this light, with this good a walk mode (the touring stride is practically friction free). Transitions when using the F1 can be astoundingly fast depending on user setup. I tend to leave my power straps quite loose and it’s no exception with thie F1. Consequently switching from walk to ski entals turning the Boa dial and doing up the mdidle webbing buckle; a two-step quick process..

The F1 is also surprisingly good on the downhill. It’s at least as laterally stiff as the venerable orange/mango Scarpa Maestrale; an attribute which does not show well in showroom carpet testing tending to only be evident when you lay your skis (and boots) down sideways at speed. It does give up a little in terms of fore/aft stiffness so won’t be as stiff as the heavier Maestrale RS (for example) but then all touring boots are about trade-offs.

Speaking of trade-offs there is now a growing category of boots in the approx sub 1250g which purport to tour and ski well. But in the real world something’s gotta give; you can’t be the ultimate downhill and uphill performer while being the lightest. Having said that, in my opinion the F1 strikes the best balance between uphill and downhill performance in this lighter-weight category. To expand, the F1 succeeds the now-recalled Scarpa F1 Evo which skied rather abruptly ie with a hitting-the-brick-wall feeling in in terms of fore/aft stiffness. The F1 feels quite a bit more progressive then the older F1 Evo. I would attribute this fairly progressive feel to factors such as the hybrid cabrio construction, the Boa closure and the use of this wonderfully stiff yet tuneable carbon-infused plastic.

To sum it up, reasonably priced, touring incredibly well, skiing quite well, the Scarpa F1 shows that sometimes one can have their cake and eat it too.

Anybody add an instep buckle to these? I miss my instep buckles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	203176
    I put this buckle on instead. Seems to close a bit snugger and i don't have to worry about breaking BOAs (as they like to do)

Wondering if anyone has had these issues:

- The clippy things holding the wire come out often, more on the right boot than the left. Sometimes both the upper and the lower, most longer tours at least the lower. This is a serious pain in the ass when it's really cold, the snow is deep and I don't feel like taking my fucking gloves off.

- The gasket (shown with the tongue peeled back) has come off the top 1.5" on one boot and about 1" on the other).

The boots walk and ski great. Better than any other touring boot I've been in but the above issues are deal breakers for me.

Name:	20171216_134428.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	584.8 KB 
ID:	218989

Name:	20171216_134513.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	656.3 KB 
ID:	218990
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I've had the same issues with the clips popping out. Also was more of an issue on one boot vs the other. I called Scarpa and they didn't offer any novel solution so I glued it in.

I haven't had either issue over 20-25 days in mine. Soles are pretty chewed up from rock walking though, more than my Maestrale RS's which have over 100 days and much more rock walking.

I'm still thinking about different buckle solutions. An instep buckle to keep my heel back in touring mode and a minimal forefoot buckle might be the ticket. I may cannibalize my RS's for this purpose if I can nab some cheap 2.0's from a poor soul who buys a pair and decides they don't fit.

Issue resolved. Went to Coop, traded them in on some Maestrale RS. Looking forward, they feel amazing.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Issue resolved. Went to Coop, traded them in on some Maestrale RS. Looking forward, they feel amazing.
    I have a pair of RS that I am about to trade for an f1 because the fit of the f1 feels much more snug. Did you not notice a big difference in fit? Certainly concerned about the boa contact points after seeing this