Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I think a lot of them don't know any better. Marketing doesn't help.
    I'm not sure marketing alone is the culprit. I don't think most manufacturers are promoting this type of binding for inbounds use. With retail on touring gear is in the $2000+ range, I think sticker shock alone has a lot of people skiing their lightweight touring skis as a single quiver. I did it for a few seasons when I was living back east and only able to ski a few trips a year because I didn't have space or money or the ability to transport a bunch of gear. I have a friend who ripped his ions out of his skis a few weeks ago. Lucky the screws were the weak link and not his achilles I suppose.

Why they don't go out and directly say "perfect for inbounds use!" heavier tech bindings like the Rotation, Kingpin, and Tecton are definitely marketed to inbounds skiers. Marketing copy emphasizes safety, security, releasability, etc. and they have pro skiers using them inbounds posting photos and videos

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Sorry about your girlfriend, Kevo. Sounds like a brutal injury.

So go ahead and try to make the safest choice you can. If you pick Tecton/Vipec because they might protect your bones, I get it. Totally valid way of choosing bindings. But consider if you're basing your decision based on information that originated with a marketing department, and note that it doesn't mean much for a binding to be safer "in theory." Even if you manage to crack the code and choose the safest tech binding, it probably won't release as reliably as and alpine binding, so you should try not to fall.
    I really wish someone could independently verify if the vipec/tecton thing is just marketing BS or not. I like those bindings for a lot of reasons, but got my partner on them specifically because of the "it might be safer" theory.

Evo's blurb on the Kingpins starts like this:

"Combining the low weight and uphill prowess of a tech binding with the safety and confidence of a downhill binding..."

Tecton blurb:

"...skiing performance to rival much heavier alpine bindings, the Tecton 12 makes using a tech binding for all of your skiing needs a reality."

Dynafit rotation:

"...downhill performance that rivals much beefier bindings for consistency, reliability, and snow feel."

Has anyone broken the toe-piece like this? Both toes broken on the same spot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7199.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	364073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7200.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	665.7 KB 
ID:	364074

^ how did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Evo's blurb on the Kingpins starts like this:

"Combining the low weight and uphill prowess of a tech binding with the safety and confidence of a downhill binding..."

Tecton blurb:

"...skiing performance to rival much heavier alpine bindings, the Tecton 12 makes using a tech binding for all of your skiing needs a reality."

Dynafit rotation:

"...downhill performance that rivals much beefier bindings for consistency, reliability, and snow feel."
    evo copywriters have to say something positive about every product; they've already bought them and need to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    evo copywriters have to say something positive about every product; they've already bought them and need to sell them.
    Sure but couldn’t you argue it’s false advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    ^ how did that happen?
    Yeah wtf....I'm curious as well...

That's a metal part of the toe, the lever is plastic. I'm assuming they yanked the lever so hard/violently that it broke the metal? And twice? Mind boggled.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    ^ how did that happen?
    heavy flexing of the ski?

Don't see how yanking on the lever would do that. I bet spyderjon is right on what happened.

that is not connected to the plastic lever at all, its just the detent

unless you can pull so hard on the plastic it hits the detent at the end of its travel ?

I'm betting that tab is suposed to lie flat on the ski and got bent up by the ski flexing ?

I like to put my pole under the lever about half way up the pole and lever it up so i don't have to bend down so far
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A pair of demoskis came back with both toes broken, apparently the guy ran both ski-tips straight into a rock and came to a dead stop. So probably the heavy flexing that caused it as spyderjon said. Seems like there has to be extreme amounts of flex though for the aluminium to be bent like this?

is the piece necessary? doesnt look it

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    is the piece necessary? doesnt look it
    It keeps the toe lever locked. Not a big deal if you don't lock your toes, but I guess most people do. The MTN toe springs are strong enough that touring with the toes unlocked is mostly fine though.

An alternative to the tips-into-a-rock hypothesis:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B7tO_D2p..._web_copy_link
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

the broken part is just the detent for the black plastic lever

you are suposed to lock binding s on for the skin up or the ski is likley to fall off

I havent seen that binding out of the box but I assume it sat flatter on the ski and that detent tab was somehow bent upwards

probably by ski flex
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Kreemcheese View Post
    A pair of demoskis came back with both toes broken, apparently the guy ran both ski-tips straight into a rock and came to a dead stop. So probably the heavy flexing that caused it as spyderjon said. Seems like there has to be extreme amounts of flex though for the aluminium to be bent like this?
    Yikes...I'll be more concerned about his legs...didn't someone's GF tear both Achilles like that?
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Yikes...I'll be more concerned about his legs...didn't someone's GF tear both Achilles like that?
    Yeah exactly, kevo's girlfriend 2 pages back due to non vertical release I think?
    Apparently he was completely fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Kreemcheese View Post
    Yeah exactly, kevo's girlfriend 2 pages back due to non vertical release I think?
    Apparently he was completely fine...
    It read as if though they released just not before the injury happened. Not meant as a dig because the injury is a total bummer but this doesn't mean the binding didn't perform as intended. Skiing is dangerous for the lower extremities.

For DIN 'in use' testing of bindings if your setting is a 5 it can perform at a 7 and be acceptable. The range goes two settings in either direction. Of course tech bindings don't perform like alpine but a vertical release should be as close of a relatable release they can have. I do think bindings with rolling pins are more consistent than the U pin bindings.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Cody on bindings on gear talk, this one included.

Hi,
    Anybody experience with fixing the floppy heel risers? Using the binding for around 3 years and the lower riser is really loose so it doesn't stay put. Salomon didn't help via the customer-service.

Quote Originally Posted by RudiHeckler View Post
    Hi,
    Anybody experience with fixing the floppy heel risers? Using the binding for around 3 years and the lower riser is really loose so it doesn't stay put. Salomon didn't help via the customer-service.
    I dripped green loctite on mine plus got a ski shop with a rivet press to tighten them up. Good now

I drilled out the pivot pin and replaced with stainless steel bolt so I can tighten it over time.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I drilled out the pivot pin and replaced with stainless steel bolt so I can tighten it over time.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I love that idea! Noted for when the flop comes!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bump. Thinking about shuffling some bindings around with BF inserts, namely MTNs to Lotus 138s. I have the version with brakes; do I need to buy some kind of stomp block or something to mount the MTNs brakeless on the 138s?
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike