Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    I had a similar problem (vertical play in the pins/heel risers) and tightened the hex screw underneath the heel risers to fix it. I found this breakdown helpful and just reused the same screw holes. https://www.wildsnow.com/22236/atomi...eakdown-apart/

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Thanks. Taking a look now and I can isolate the movement to the heel tower. It’s moving up and down a bit with or without the boot in the binding. One tower has a bit more play than the other. Not sure if it’s no big deal or if I can pull the binding to see if I can tighten things down somehow. I’m guessing just go ski ‘em is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I had a similar problem (vertical play in the pins/heel risers) and tightened the hex screw underneath the heel risers to fix it. I found this breakdown helpful and just reused the same screw holes. https://www.wildsnow.com/22236/atomi...eakdown-apart/
    oh, nice - great find and thanks for sharing!

What kind of springs are people running? I threw in the Expert spring, but after reading anecdotes, I should probably switch to the "Mens" or even the "Womens" U-spring. 5'10", 180 lbs, 9.5 DIN on an alpine binding. The Expert spring is a pain in the ass to rotate as well, not sure if that breaks in or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    What kind of springs are people running? I threw in the Expert spring, but after reading anecdotes, I should probably switch to the "Mens" or even the "Womens" U-spring. 5'10", 180 lbs, 9.5 DIN on an alpine binding. The Expert spring is a pain in the ass to rotate as well, not sure if that breaks in or not.
    I’m on the Mens spring and a little bit heavier than you. I’ve never released out of it, including in situations where I probably would have released from my Crests set at 9. I’d be scared to run the Expert spring honestly.

I've heard it best described as;
    Women's Spring: Release Occasionally
    Mens: Release Infrequently
    Expert: Release "Never"

I run Expert Springs in my two pairs and have never released, even when I landed waaay to front seat on a ~10 cornice drop. I may swap to the Men's for my daily touring rig, but my ski mountaineering set up is keeping the expert springs.

I'm 170 expert spring.
    I released once, when i hit a small rock head on, not sideways.

The heel is hard to turn, but i never do it

Which is the nice thing about this binding

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

145lb. Din 11. Expert springs. Only release in forward over the bars falls. Hardest part with the stiff springs is getting heel in when in deep pow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have these bindings on two sets of skis: 88 and 97 waist. Both with Men's springs. I am 6'0", 185, normally have DIN of 8 to 8.5. Expert skier, but I'm more of a finesse skier and hardly ever huck anything anymore.

I can't recall ever releasing from these bindings. Still, I recently skied a steep, no-fall zone, and the snow was quite firm and a bit icy. I meant to lock out the toe pieces, just in case, but I forgot -- no problems.

The heel piece is easy to rotate with the Men's springs on my set-ups, which is nice, because I have a lot of flat approaches in my ski touring.

Thanks for the answers. Sounds like a swap to the Men's spring is in my near future, I'm not nearly sendy enough for the Expert.

Another data point - I'm 170lbs and a relatively aggressive skier, except no big airs. I've skied the men's spring for the last four years and really can't remember if Ive ever released. I ski on soft boots (Travers).

Earlier this season, I took a pretty bad tomahawk fall and was kinda surprised they didn't release. In mid May, I took my second bad fall of the season again with no release, except this time I ruptured my ACL and had to ski out 6 miles and 5k down sans ACL.

Summer project = switch to the women's springs.

I'm a tech nerd so I often ask people about their U-spring binding, do they like them and how is the release yada yada ?

The usual answer is " I don't know cuz they never release " so it sounds to me like they are not really a " safety releasable bindings "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I'm a tech nerd so I often ask people about their U-spring binding, do they like them and how is the release yada yada ?

The usual answer is " I don't know cuz they never release " so it sounds to me like they are not really a " safety releasable bindings "
    Next big advance ... beartrap bindings ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

That is just flat out not true. I and many others in this thread have released several times out of U-springs. The issue is that its much harder to fine-tune the release characteristics of U-spring bindings, so you have to hope that the manufacturer's springs are close to your needs.

one of us is rong cuz I'm thinking you didnt personaly talk to the same people I did

in addition to the folks on-line who just wrote that they havent come out/ got hurt not coming out

btw there is nothing to fine tune with a U-spring cuz its fixed

otoh its safer than a 3 pin binding, I've broken bones telewanking so I know how this works

otoh its safer than a 3 pin binding
    This is flat out not true. Any free heel binding is much safer than a U spring binding. I've got thousands of days on tele with no injuries as undisputable truth. 😎

there's an ^^ anecdote for ya

I got 7TM's which release after a boot-top fracture but I 99% ski fixed heel bindings that fully adjust for lateral and vertical release

cuz telemarking is stupid

How about bench testing the various springs provided by the manufacturer with your particular equipment to get a sense of how they will perform and evaluate whether the force required is within your acceptable level of risk? I admit the way they label them is not ideal, but it’s my opinion that a 150# man with a <295mm boot might be better off skiing the W spring than the M or E. Fully kitted for touring I’m 100# heavier skiing a 316mm boot and have never felt the need to go from M to E.

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    Another data point - I'm 170lbs and a relatively aggressive skier, except no big airs. I've skied the men's spring for the last four years and really can't remember if Ive ever released. I ski on soft boots (Travers).

Earlier this season, I took a pretty bad tomahawk fall and was kinda surprised they didn't release. In mid May, I took my second bad fall of the season again with no release, except this time I ruptured my ACL and had to ski out 6 miles and 5k down sans ACL.

A softer spring wouldn't have prevented to acl tear.

Bindings cannot protect which tissue, only bike breakage.

Meant bone breakage

Salomon Mtn tech &quot;Pin&quot; binding

Im 175/6’3”/318mm boots on E springs. Never had them release. I have had my pair of ATK FR14’s set at 12 release a few times FWIW

U spring bindings aren’t inherently less inclined to release than any other binding, the difference is people often are using higher-release value bindings on their touring skis than they otherwise would.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    U spring bindings aren’t inherently less inclined to release than any other binding, the difference is people often are using higher-release value bindings on their touring skis than they otherwise would.
    AKA using the rong release value becuz we want a lighter binding or sft, so wouldn't using the rong release value make it more likely to give you an injury when you didn't come out of your binding, this is pretty simple shit, ???

My point is that if I noramly ski a 7 din-like setting with a alpine binding and the U spring isnt a 7 din-like wtf other choice is there on a binding with no adjustment ?

The user MUST use a higher (or lower) release value add to that i get prerelease unless I can can independantly adj 1 more din for vertical release than for lateral

And so I would rather use a fully adjustable binding cuz even if its a little heavier I can make a vertical or Rad act almost like an alpine binding

Funky AT bindings are in fact less worse than tele but as long as you know what going on here ... giver eh
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-04-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post

The force required to tear your ACL in the body position most tear their ACLs is REALLY low.. I think it was roughly equiv to DIN 6 IIRC. ACL tears are just part of the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    One more data point - 5'8" 175 lbs. running the Expert springs, alpine DIN is 12 for hard snow skis, 11 for soft snow skis. I've released exactly once when I buried my tips, and was glad I did. I suspect the release values change a bit as the springs wear in, I know it gets easier to step in as time goes by. I seldom use the flat position, but yeah you need to put a glove on reef on it to turn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The force required to tear your ACL in the body position most tear their ACLs is REALLY low.. I think it was roughly equiv to DIN 6 IIRC. ACL tears are just part of the gig.
    I thought was more like din 1