Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Bump. Thinking about shuffling some bindings around with BF inserts, namely MTNs to Lotus 138s. I have the version with brakes; do I need to buy some kind of stomp block or something to mount the MTNs brakeless on the 138s?
    There is a brakeless stomp pad that replaces the braked pad. It should come in the box with MTN bindings. If you don't have it you might be able to get replacements from Skimoco. Otherwise you can definitely mount them without the pad but you need shorter screws.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    There is a brakeless stomp pad that replaces the braked pad. It should come in the box with MTN bindings. If you don't have it you might be able to get replacements from Skimoco. Otherwise you can definitely mount them without the pad but you need shorter screws.
    Oh yeah I bought these bindings used and mounted to a pair of skis, so no spare parts in a box. Should have gone straight to Skimo.co, will investigate there.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^ i like skimo and dont wanna take their business
    but i haz what you need and dont need anything for em
    and the jig you can use
    i trust mnt labs more than shifts
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I don’t know that I’d call the mounting plate a stomp pad. At least not in the way an ATK pad looks. I think my boots still float above on the pins. Am I missing something?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641601152.167473.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	400081

Still float on pins. You could install an ATK pad if you want or a chunk of plastic detailed in the 300g binding thread.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ^^^ i like skimo and dont wanna take their business
    but i haz what you need and dont need anything for em
    and the jig you can use
    i trust mnt labs more than shifts
    SFB, if I were still visiting my parents in SLC I would take you up on that offer. Alas, I am back in Seattle. If you want to ship the appropriate plastic bits my way, I would gladly compensate shipping + beer (or whatever) money.

Truth be told, the main reason I am thinking about putting the MTNs on my 138s is because they play well with with 22D Lynx. I might just throw the Lynx on first, and if I can tele on 138s in the glop that currently pervades the Cascades I might not bother with the MTN inserts. I do like to hedge, though.

Truth be told, the main reason I am thinking about putting the MTNs on my 138s is because they play well with with 22D Lynx. I might just throw the Lynx on first, and if I can tele on 138s in the glop that currently pervades the Cascades I might not bother with the MTN inserts. I do like to hedge, though.
    Please tell me more. Just ordered a pair of the lynx for my blanks, but also have mtn bindings for them. Are you swapping between the two??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Please tell me more. Just ordered a pair of the lynx for my blanks, but also have mtn bindings for them. Are you swapping between the two??
    MTNs nearly share the toe holes with the front four toe holes in the 22D pattern. The MTN toe pattern is 40mm wide x 38mm long, and the 22D toe pattern is a six-hole rectangle with 38mm between the holes (i.e. the front four holes have a 38mm wide x 38mm long pattern). Additionally, the pin line location is nearly identical between the MTN and Lynx relative to the front four toe holes, meaning if you have tele and AT boots with approximately the same BSL, both boots will be located in the same place on the ski if you share toe holes.

I took off the MTNs, overlaid the 22D mount pattern, and marked/drilled the remaining holes with a normal 3.6mm bit (or whatever), then drilled all the holes out with the Binding Freedom insert bit. I went ahead and epoxied all the inserts in at the same time, but the best practice here is to allow the epoxy to cure with the binding loosely installed; I installed the Lynx for this because I figured the insert alignment would be more critical for that toe piece. This is what the total complement of inserts for the two bindings looks like: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post6439779

Attachment 390281

I confirmed that I could swap back and forth between bindings, but I haven't actually skied the MTNs since getting the Lynxes set up.

N.B.: I do not guarantee this will work for you! Clearances are a fickle thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211023_175146093_HDR.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	400132  
    Last edited by Toddball; 01-07-2022 at 11:07 PM.

Salomon Mtn tech "Pin" binding

That is good to know, never thought it would work but your reasoning sounds pretty solid. Thanks for the run down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Laps; 01-08-2022 at 07:07 AM.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Hi Guys,

I've read through the thread n'all but are there any issues with these like with the Shift?

Some (admittedly quite old) Dynafits have just disintegrated on me and I'm looking at replacing them with these.

Unfortunately I've been burned with the shift so I'm...nervous putting more faith in the Big S again.

Thanks

Despite what was just posted in the 300g binding thread, I think of the Salomon MTN bindings as a reliable piece of gear. In general, reported failures have been very uncommon, and the binding has been out for several years and is a mature product by now.

I've had multiple pairs on multiple pairs of skis since they came out and haven't had a single major issue.

I think there are 2 minor issues that can develop:

1. Heel risers getting loose with time. Some green Vibratite can help this if it starts to happen.
    2. A little slop in the heel track with heavy use.

My most heavily used heel assemblies have just a tiny bit of side to side play if I grab them and pull, but it's quite minimal. Similarly, my risers have loosened up a little on a couple of pairs, but it hasn't been a major issue. They don't just flap in the breeze. Like I said, some green Vibratite can help tighten them up.

I've been happy with the binding. Light, simple, reliable. No unexpected releases yet. Toes jaws have good clamping strength.

If I was in the market for new bindings I'd be looking at these or something like the ATK Haute Route.

Thanks Doc

Rumor has it that the add'l heel "U" springs that comes with these bindings are compatible (once the plastic is removed) with this discontinued race model:
    https://skimo.co/dynafit-low-tech-race-bindings
    ... whose Ti springs have all become notched by now, and whose replacement steel springs are long since sold out.
    Here's an example request:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1481...2896577318998/
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Anybody have a 3D printer design for toe shims?

I found out my library will 3D print for free, and I’m looking for a ~6.5mm shim to bring the toe/heel delta to 0.

Bump. Thinking about shuffling some bindings around with BF inserts, namely MTNs to Lotus 138s. I have the version with brakes; do I need to buy some kind of stomp block or something to mount the MTNs brakeless on the 138s?
    Which track is on your MTN? 50mm of adjustment or 30mm?

The brakeless riser and stomp pad is only available for the 30mm track.

You can go without the riser and stomp pad if you grind down the screws but there are some repercussions:
    -your skiing ramp angle will be less.
    -your flat walk mode will be negative rise or close to it.
    -you will be floating on the pins while skiing and will have a vague floating heel feeling like old Dynafits.

You could make a bumper that replicates the height of the brake stomp pad on the brakeless version and this would provide the best results. You can probably mount it in the unused binding screw hole after you pull off the brakes.

To be clear the brake less version with the supplied riser and stomp pad still floats on the pins. There is no contact between the sole of the boot and the stomp pad when in ski mode. They do come in contact when in flat walk mode. Few folks on here have detailed making a higher stomp pad that does contact the boot when in ski mode but your flat walk mode setting is no longer very flat.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    To be clear the brake less version with the supplied riser and stomp pad still floats on the pins. There is no contact between the sole of the boot and the stomp pad when in ski mode. They do come in contact when in flat walk mode. Few folks on here have detailed making a higher stomp pad that does contact the boot when in ski mode but your flat walk mode setting is no longer very flat.

If anyone has a set of the the plastic brakeless riser/stomp pad bases floating around i'd be interested in buying them off you.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Few folks on here have detailed making a higher stomp pad that does contact the boot when in ski mode but your flat walk mode setting is no longer very flat.

If you were going without the plastic riser plate under the track, I think the difference would be negligible. Either way, it would still be much flatter than the MTN with brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    If anyone has a set of the the plastic brakeless riser/stomp pad bases floating around i'd be interested in buying them off you.
    I’ll likely have some shortly. I’m planning on mounting my brake less version without the little plastic pad so I get a little less delta

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I’ll likely have some shortly. I’m planning on mounting my brake less version without the little plastic pad so I get a little less delta
    Let me know if I can send you shipping and beer $ for them if it pans out.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

I have some MTN’s I just moved from one set of skis to another. Seems like all of a sudden when I’m stepped into the bindings I have some play in the heel pins. They move a mm or less, but I can def feel and see it. I don’t remember that on my last set of skis these were on. Any ideas? Maybe it’s normal to develop, or did I miss some step in the heel adjustment when I remounted these? I do have the 4mm gap set correctly.

side to side or fore/aft?

If the former (and provided that the spring is not seriously worn, easy to check - just take it off and visually inspect them, alternate option to try one of the other softer/harder springs and see if the same thing happens), then the toe might be slightly crooked. Unscrew, re-torque the front two screws on the toe while having the boot clipped in front and back, remove bboot and re-torque the two back bolts on the heel.

If it is fore/aft - no idea.

Thanks. Taking a look now and I can isolate the movement to the heel tower. It’s moving up and down a bit with or without the boot in the binding. One tower has a bit more play than the other. Not sure if it’s no big deal or if I can pull the binding to see if I can tighten things down somehow. I’m guessing just go ski ‘em is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Thanks. Taking a look now and I can isolate the movement to the heel tower. It’s moving up and down a bit with or without the boot in the binding. One tower has a bit more play than the other. Not sure if it’s no big deal or if I can pull the binding to see if I can tighten things down somehow. I’m guessing just go ski ‘em is the answer.
    I’ve got the same on 2 pairs that I have. Seems like a tiny bit of play developed after a dozen or so days on each pair. Hasn’t gotten any worse and I added a stomp block under the heel to eliminate the play. No issues since doing that.

Is there a way to change the toe springs?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk