Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ccl View Post
    I’ve been using this binding all season (20 days?) and love it. It has more features than a race binding but is still damn light.

I thought I would use the feature you describe more frequently as I’m used to Plum race heels, but it’s so easy to push the heel unit from sideways/tour mode to ski with a ski pole grip that I rarely use it.
    but there's no need unless you're going to flat mode right?

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Safety - This binding has more elastic travel then any low tech offering from Dynafit that I had used in the past. Comforts - TLT - Vertical FT . The fact that I skied this binding hard in area with confidence was inspiring. I for one am glad that there is no lock mode for the Toe. Safer that way.
    Huh? I don't see anything that suggests these bindings have elastic travel. Dynafits don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Huh? I don't see anything that suggests these bindings have elastic travel. Dynafits don't either.
    i was perplexed with this statement as well. I thought the pins rested nearly snug up to the boot (what 3mm ish?) but maybe i misread something somewhere.

Ok nick pick me. Just pointing out that I skied all conditions both in area and out. Including a 8 foot drop. My experience with dynafiddles would pop off when hucked or basically skied hard in area. Forcing me to lock the toes. Which is not friendly to my tib fib. The MTN did not release all day. Inspiring confidence. If it is 3mm then perfect. Still more than zero.

mobile update

Ok nick pick me. Just pointing out that I skied all conditions both in area and out. Including a 8 foot drop. My experience with dynafiddles would pop off when hucked or basically skied hard in area. Forcing me to lock the toes. Which is not friendly to my tib fib. The MTN did not release all day. Inspiring confidence. If it is 3mm then perfect. Still more than zero.

mobile update
    It's not a nit pick when you say "elastic travel" when neither binding has elastic travel. It's a critical safety and skiability element of binding design that separates all pin-bindings except the Vipec/Tecton from alpine bindings.

Not releasing isn't about elastic travel. Its about clamping force / retention.

No one is saying they don't ski well, perhaps better than dynafiddles. Just that saying "elastic travel" is like saying Pivots release laterally at the heel. Neither is true.

And the 3mm SkiDog is referring to is the heel gap. Dynafits have 4.5-5.5mm here. So if that is the "elastic travel" you're talking about, Dynafits have more than the MTNs, not zero.

mobile update
    I've skied more than a few hard days at Alta on comforts and some on rad 2.0. rads feel better due to heel gap being wider and a moving toe to absorb some shock. Comforts more like mtn. Only place I skied either locked out was main chute. Never once did they ejected me.

I think skiing style has a lot to do with how pin tech bindings release. I mean hoji #nuffsaid

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Not sure if I posted my review to this thread. This binding is remarkable in being the first tech binding released in a few years which didn't have issues right out of the gate.

But it has no elasticity

http://www.doglotion.com/salomon-bac...s-mtn-lab-boot

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    but there's no need unless you're going to flat mode right?
    Yep, no need to. But I often do just in case I encounter the unexpected flat area.

Pretty sure the heel gap is 5mm. Most Dynafits are 5.5mm so negligible difference.

The toe clamps tight enough that I can do most powder, easy skinning with it in ski mode, and I’m 190 pounds. This is a nice benefit in avy terrain and is one less step at transitions. Definitely want it locked in walk mode for any form skinning or aggressive kick turning.

Quote Originally Posted by ccl View Post
    Pretty sure the heel gap is 5mm. Most Dynafits are 5.5mm so negligible difference.
    Correct gap for the MTN/Backland Tour is 4mm. Current "static" Dynafits are all 5.5mm, original TLT was 4mm.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Correct gap for the MTN/Backland Tour is 4mm. Current "static" Dynafits are all 5.5mm, original TLT was 4mm.
    The 4mm was what I was thinking. I typically used 3 quarters stacked together when I couldn't find the dynafit provided shim.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

What is the equivalent to 4 mm? Is there something such as a Allen key I could stick in there. I do not believe my bindings came with a shim. And do you want it just touching the shim or pressed firmly against it? Thanks

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    What is the equivalent to 4 mm? Is there something such as a Allen key I could stick in there. I do not believe my bindings came with a shim. And do you want it just touching the shim or pressed firmly against it? Thanks
    You can use the binding leash clasp that came with the bindings by turning it on its side to set the heal gap.

Hmm I would suggest a 4mm Allen key.

Lay a 5/32" drill bit across the pins (=3.97mm).

What is the equivalent to 4 mm?.....And do you want it just touching the shim or pressed firmly against it?......TGR Forums mobile app
    Lay a 5/32" drill bit across the pins (=3.97mm). Just lightly touching/dragging.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Hmm I would suggest a 4mm Allen key.
    Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    You can use the binding leash clasp that came with the bindings by turning it on its side to set the heal gap.
    this - its width is designed specifically for that purpose.

Thanks guys

Anybody usually ski with heels at 11/12 "din" who can comment on pre release with expert springs?

I ski with my dins on 12/13 and use the expert Springs and have not pre released. I also cycle the springs to clear snow before I step in the front

Good. Thanks for the feedback. weight + bsl?

175# nekkid
    327 bsl

Same experience here. Ski alpine bindings at DIN 12, no prereleases yet with Expert spring. 170 lbs. 288/295/301/302/305 BSL depending on boot.

This doesn’t necessarily answer the OP’s question but it’s another data point. I have 50-60 days on three pairs of the Salomon and Atomic versions with the Man spring. I’m 190#, 314mm BSL, and I’ve yet to release much less prerelease. I’ve skied them fairly aggressively, with a heavy pack, and on some boilerplate snow - no issues.

All good info. I'm heavier than all of you but sounds like it'll be ok. Pulling the trigger tomorrow.