Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    is it planned for release in 2018/19?

There was a pic on the french forum skipass => skipass.fr/p/imagebank/1/5/6/156403.jpg (can't post urls or images since I'm new).

From memory, the one I saw was all black. And may be a bit different to that one, hard to tell, I'd need to see it from a different angle. Chances are they are the same. And will ice and jam snow under moving parts like a bastard.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is, did you observe anything about said toe piece that made it superior?
    The Amer "convertible" binding has been in the works for a couple years, and they've been pretty secretive about it. It transforms mechanically from a full alpine toe to a tech toe, and is unlike anything on the market now.

I got a notice from Salomon with the following link that some on this thread may find interesting...:

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/mt...article=399354

(Or after researching this may be old news...)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I wish they would sell it in the USA...

Great looking light weight binding. Shame companies seem to think they need a functional brake to sell tech bindings in the USA...
    Brakes are worth every single gram. Putting on skis with brakes is hard enough, when they are sliding back and forth and you are worried about them going to the bottom of the hill... no thanks
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    There was a pic on the french forum skipass => skipass.fr/p/imagebank/1/5/6/156403.jpg (can't post urls or images since I'm new).
    I just got hard.

Looks like a lot of plastic for getting deep into the backcountry, but goddamn something like that would be fun for big mountain day tours

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Can you post the thread? I can't find it.. ty

Sketchy English translation, but yeah. The Salomon version is available in the US now. FWIW the MTN/Backland tech binding has not been certified to ISO 13992 standards.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Brakes are worth every single gram.
    I won't be running brakes on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Amer "convertible" binding has been in the works for a couple years, and they've been pretty secretive about it. It transforms mechanically from a full alpine toe to a tech toe, and is unlike anything on the market now.
    I thinks it has been 4 years since I first heard about this project. Cool to see that its finally coming. A bit Duplo'ish looking for such a technical binding, let's hope it is still "lightweight".
    The toe should be interesting. They've had some delay's, something with patents. Thats set now, so if anyone is good in finding patent drawings?

I always thought this Amer binding would be the first hybrid binding with safety release in the front and the back but Fritschi beat them. Not a fan of the Vipec toe though.. Oh and dont start a comment about the Beast, that heel piece is just stupid.
    Anyone have more info on why Marker could not work out a safety release in the toe? I know they have tried..

Let more hype begin

Name:  solly_n.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  25.1 KB

Salomon Mtn tech "Pin" binding

Grainy pic teaser. Going to need some deets/close ups on those
    . I've been going back and forth between ssl 2.0's, lt12's and the new solly pin tech , for my new touring rig.2.0's are soo elegant but for how long. Lt12's are a good weight compromise for a bit better ski feel and then there's the solly with simplicity , decent weight and mega heel length adjustment. Solly price looks much better stateside compared to the others. More $ relative to the other 2 up here

Lee, is that the picture that has been floating around for the past 9 months or so, or is it new?

Looks like the old pic that's been floating around...

yeah, it is the old one. I read somewhere that they are going to announce this binding this winter at some exhibition, so probably available only 18/19

Yah its the old one. New one to be announced at ISPO. They will hunt me down and bury me in Quest soles if any more pics are taken

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I want to take the pix and post just to ensure that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    re: this binding, I was playing with one in a store the other day and noticed a pretty neat feature that I hadn't heard about, one that turns this from a "no interest whatsoever" to a "could buy" for me, anyway.

when you rotate the heel piece to enter flat mode, the risers do not rotate - the risers are on a fixed pillar that the heelpiece rotates around. the upshot of this is that you do not HAVE to rotate the heel piece unless you want flat mode - you get a low and high riser "race style", plus a rotational flat mode. that in combination with the largeish adjustment range and the 3 U-springs for RV seems like a very full-featured binding, IMO the race-style option gives a HUGE incentive to use this vs say a speed radical/speed turn. 288g/binding brakeless is ok, better than a speed turn, and if these end up cheap on SAC/whatever I could see this being a pretty nice option if they hold up.

apologies if this is old news to everyone else, I hadn't realized this and think it makes the binding stand out among its immediate competition (speed rad/turn, ion / lt, radical st, etc)

I’ve been using this binding all season (20 days?) and love it. It has more features than a race binding but is still damn light.

I thought I would use the feature you describe more frequently as I’m used to Plum race heels, but it’s so easy to push the heel unit from sideways/tour mode to ski with a ski pole grip that I rarely use it.

Initial review - Mounted the MTN binding on a pair of Voile's. Mounting jig was easy and straight forward. Bindings come in 2 boxes one for the clamps and another for the brakes. Well organized. note: if you want to run brakes take of the rando riser and attach the brake riser. Brakes require one extra hole to be drilled. Set the Jig and drill. As Mentioned before there are 3 "springs" Men - Woman - and Exp. Easily swap-able.

Conditions - 5-7 inches of fresh at Alta. Skied these inbounds hard and did not release. Expert terrain. Confidence inspiring. Ease of entry a plus - I did not have to Dynafiddle these bindings. Place the front of your boot at the toe bar and engage the pins by stepping straight down.

Touring - Leaving the resort boundaries - these clamps performed exceptionally. This is the lightest setup I have ever owned, and it is noticeable. Skinning was spot on with the 1st riser. As mentioned before it is not necessary to spin the heel for flat if you don't need it. Pole flick and the risers deploy. I did not need the highest riser on this tour just the first one - 7 degrees I believe.

Use - these are super simple - engage the lever to hold the brake up and you are all set. Turn the pins 90degrees if you expect or need the flat mode. The flip up risers are easy to engage with a pole grip - pole tip.

Transitioning - flip everything back to ski and let them rip.

Safety - This binding has more elastic travel then any low tech offering from Dynafit that I had used in the past. Comforts - TLT - Vertical FT . The fact that I skied this binding hard in area with confidence was inspiring. I for one am glad that there is no lock mode for the Toe. Safer that way.

Conclusions - this binding checks all of the boxes for me. Until Solomon releases the Switch with STH retention at a minimal weight penalty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171229_185931056.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	899.3 KB 
ID:	220945

Name:	IMG_20171229_201734233.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	837.9 KB 
ID:	220946

Name:	IMG_20180107_141213775.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	220947

Name:	IMG_20180107_144341454.jpg 
Views:	150 
ID:	220944

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Initial review - Mounted the MTN binding on a pair of Voile's. Mounting jig was easy and straight forward. Bindings come in 2 boxes one for the clamps and another for the brakes. Well organized. note: if you want to run brakes take of the rando riser and attach the brake riser. Brakes require one extra hole to be drilled. Set the Jig and drill. As Mentioned before there are 3 "springs" Men - Woman - and Exp. Easily swap-able.

Conditions - 5-7 inches of fresh at Alta. Skied these inbounds hard and did not release. Expert terrain. Confidence inspiring. Ease of entry a plus - I did not have to Dynafiddle these bindings. Place the front of your boot at the toe bar and engage the pins by stepping straight down.

Touring - Leaving the resort boundaries - these clamps performed exceptionally. This is the lightest setup I have ever owned, and it is noticeable. Skinning was spot on with the 1st riser. As mentioned before it is not necessary to spin the heel for flat if you don't need it. Pole flick and the risers deploy. I did not need the highest riser on this tour just the first one - 7 degrees I believe.

Use - these are super simple - engage the lever to hold the brake up and you are all set. Turn the pins 90degrees if you expect or need the flat mode. The flip up risers are easy to engage with a pole grip - pole tip.

Transitioning - flip everything back to ski and let them rip.

Safety - This binding has more elastic travel then any low tech offering from Dynafit that I had used in the past. Comforts - TLT - Vertical FT . The fact that I skied this binding hard in area with confidence was inspiring. I for one am glad that there is no lock mode for the Toe. Safer that way.

Conclusions - this binding checks all of the boxes for me. Until Solomon releases the Switch with STH retention at a minimal weight penalty.

Name:	IMG_20171229_185931056.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	899.3 KB 
ID:	220945

Name:	IMG_20171229_201734233.jpg 
Size:	837.9 KB 
ID:	220946

Name:	IMG_20180107_141213775.jpg 
ID:	220947

Name:	IMG_20180107_144341454.jpg 
Views:	150 
ID:	220944
    mounted at Dibs eh? LOL.....

Yes. That is where I do all my mounts. Every thing is there - you just have to poke around for it.

mobile update

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Curious what you mean by this. The toe looks like it locks for walk mode. "Walk" is printed so that you can see it when it's pulled all the way up on mine. Thanks for the review, I'm planning on mounting a pair tonight so this is all good news.