Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 220
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    There is literally zero innovation in this binding, oh the toe step in guide. COOL!

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,779
    ^^^ I thought the same exact thing. What's the point? If it was pro deal or you could find them for 90 bucks in the summer I'm buying them, otherwise forget it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,506
    A lot of us want simple things that work for pure touring trips. This binding does that. Its the Dynafit TLT with more adjustment and no auto rotation

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,941
    I may be wrong, but I think the Salomon will be the lightest weight binding that still has a flat touring mode, two heel riser positions, BSL adjustment, and significant distribution/warranty support in the US (which disqualifies Plum and ATK IMO). I don't see it as revolutionary, more just another solid option.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,212
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think the Salomon will be the lightest weight binding that still has a flat touring mode, two heel riser positions, BSL adjustment, and significant distribution/warranty support in the US (which disqualifies Plum and ATK IMO). I don't see it as revolutionary, more just another solid option.
    This. Also speed radical heels explode. Older dynafit designs have prerelease issues for some folks. If these do neither of those things I'd buy a pair.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Amherst, Mass.
    Posts
    4,359
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think the Salomon will be the lightest weight binding that still has a flat touring mode, two heel riser positions, BSL adjustment, and significant distribution/warranty support in the US (which disqualifies Plum and ATK IMO). I don't see it as revolutionary, more just another solid option.
    Skimo Co provides warranty support for Plum bindings puchased from them.
    Hagan USA provides warranty support for their two rebranded ATK models.
    (The other points though certainly will appeal to some potential puchasers. Overall, looks like a nice model in an increasing growing niche of "near-race" bindings.)

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Skimo Co provides warranty support for Plum bindings puchased from them.
    Hagan USA provides warranty support for their two rebranded ATK models.
    (The other points though certainly will appeal to some potential puchasers. Overall, looks like a nice model in an increasing growing niche of "near-race" bindings.)
    Yes, I know, but I said widespread distribution and support. The fact that Skimo will warranty my Plums isn't that useful to me when my bindings explode in CO in the middle of a storm cycle. It would take over a week just in shipping back and forth to deal with it. With Dynafit, G3, Salomon, etc I can walk into any backcountry shop in the country and get help.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,680
    minimalist except for the price cuz at 700$ can there are whole lot of bindings out there including yer full service options
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    A lot of us want simple things that work for pure touring trips. This binding does that. Its the Dynafit TLT with more adjustment and no auto rotation
    I'm one of those people. Plus it has a slightly higher vertical release value than the Speed Radical and is ~ 100 grams lighter . . .

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,506
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    minimalist except for the price cuz at 700$ can there are whole lot of bindings out there including yer full service options
    That price is coming down next year. Not sure what it is. Unusual behaviour

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,672
    Slap a SSL toe on it... 240g I think?

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,680
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    That price is coming down next year. Not sure what it is. Unusual behaviour
    They need to if they wana sell any, comparing the can$ prices a speed radical is 429$ list a speed turn is 389$ ... I have always thot the price of that binding was just plain out of line with the market
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Amherst, Mass.
    Posts
    4,359
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yes, I know, but I said widespread distribution and support. The fact that Skimo will warranty my Plums isn't that useful to me when my bindings explode in CO in the middle of a storm cycle. It would take over a week just in shipping back and forth to deal with it. With Dynafit, G3, Salomon, etc I can walk into any backcountry shop in the country and get help.
    One of those dealers would really swap in a replacement binding even if the original binding had been purchased elsewhere?
    (I'm sincerely asking as I have no idea what typical shop support is like these days.)

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    One of those dealers would really swap in a replacement binding even if the original binding had been purchased elsewhere?
    (I'm sincerely asking as I have no idea what typical shop support is like these days.)
    Can only speak to Whistler and Vancouver but yes. That would happen. Sometimes a shop might give a rep or the company a call but the replacement would be from shop inventory then inventory replenished by the company. This happens with Marker, Salomon, Dynafit, Fritschi, G3

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    One of those dealers would really swap in a replacement binding even if the original binding had been purchased elsewhere?
    (I'm sincerely asking as I have no idea what typical shop support is like these days.)
    Depends on the shop. Some will, some won't. Or they might have parts. 0% chance of it happening if they don't carry the product/brand at all though...

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,680
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Can only speak to Whistler and Vancouver but yes. That would happen. Sometimes a shop might give a rep or the company a call but the replacement would be from shop inventory then inventory replenished by the company. This happens with Marker, Salomon, Dynafit, Fritschi, G3
    Yup ^^ after spolding a heel piece I bought elsewhere the local retailer got the part from the dynafit rep had fixed it for me real quick, I think he might keep a spare FT heel kicking around to speed up service

    its gona be the same rep for all of BC so it doesnt matter who fixes it

    of course it could depend entirely on the rep AND the country
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,528
    I’ve got two full seasons on these bindings. Reasons why I plan on buying another set:

    - Full height riser

    - Integrated fore/aft adjustment plate

    - Reliable

    - Never lock the toe in tour mode. The toe springs bite hard enough for my 5’11” 160lb frame to keep skis on without locking them. I can still accidentally stomp the skis into releasing in tour mode but adequate technique has never been a problem even on hard snow with crampons

    - Never have to lock the toe in downhill mode. Unlike some other pin bindings, these instill enough confidence to ski unlocked. Last week we skied the Wasatch’s Hypodermic Needle, including 1100ft of hop turns in firm-ish conditions, and the bindings were unlocked, uneventful

    - They weigh in at 285 grams

    - Typically rotate the heel only once a tour. Start out rotated in flat mode for the approach, then rotate for the first the transition and after that it’s just a matter of flipping the risers for the rest of the day

    I have had one repairable failure:

    - The hex head machine screw that holds the heel lifter assembly loosened and I had to un-mount the binding to reattach

    - This is not a catastrophic failure and if it happens you can turn the heel lifter clockwise to tighten


    Name:  Backland1.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  44.0 KB

    Name:  Backland2.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  21.7 KB
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 04-21-2017 at 07:58 AM.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juxtaposition
    Posts
    5,786
    In the last few weeks I skied several days with a person using a Salomon tech-capable test binding which is NOTHING like any other tech binding I have seen before. It may have already been alluded to in another discussion, but I can't find the "new gear rumours for 2018" thread, if it exists.

    I didn't take a photo because I'm not one of those people who experienced every special moment via their cell phone camera. And because I respect my own and the other person's privacy in a small ski world.
    Life is not lift served.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,492
    Seeing someone's test binding qualifies as a special moment? Hmm.

    Anyway, what pros did you see about it compared to the Kingpin? Aside from being lighter, of course (right?).

  20. #95
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juxtaposition
    Posts
    5,786
    Hey J, no, not a special moment for me Special for some others. I have a lazy and ambivalent "oh look at that, cool!... um, whatever" kind of uncaptivated response to new gear. Even if it is better than what I happen to be using on a daily basis. Its just another potential expense in a never ending river of gear expenses.

    Totally different toe piece to Kingpins. Probably has already been discussed here.
    Life is not lift served.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,492
    I guess what I'm asking is, did you observe anything about said toe piece that made it superior?

  22. #97
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juxtaposition
    Posts
    5,786
    I can only speculate, but the design could potentially offer alpine toe piece elasticity, performance and release. And tech touring movement.
    Life is not lift served.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,948
    Cool. I think there was some discussion somewhere else and even pics. It looks pretty cool. Tech toe piece is embedded into an alpine toe. It looks good if it works.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #99
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,492
    Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I can only speculate, but the design could potentially offer alpine toe piece elasticity, performance and release. And tech touring movement.
    Uh, okay, well shit, THAT certainly has my attention.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juxtaposition
    Posts
    5,786
    Hybrid toe.
    Life is not lift served.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •