Colorado Skier Ordered To Pay Over $250K For Reckless Skiing Incident At Keystone CO

DD got off easy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

^ lol

If you want to get an idea of how long this shit takes in litigation before it gets to a jury... the gear in the pic was the hot shit at the time of the accident.

pffft

negligent skiing

sounds fun
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Are they going to rename the run "the Flying Scotsman?

" The jury concluded that Ferguson was skiing negligently and that the plaintiff, who missed three months of work at the Chicago Fire Department because of his injuries, was entitled to damages."

Wow, no wonder Chicago is in awful fiscal health. The fireman make a quarter mil every three months.

The defendant's homeowners insurance will pay the fines. Same thing happened to a guy I know, even though the other guy hit him, the guy hit him up for damages and they were paid by homeowners.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/loca...t-have-to-pay/

Doubt this was "fines". More likely a civil lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    The defendant's homeowners insurance will pay the fines. Same thing happened to a guy I know, even though the other guy hit him, the guy hit him up for damages and they were paid by homeowners.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/loca...t-have-to-pay/
    Homeowner's for a reckless ski accident? Color me skeptical...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Homeowner's for a reckless ski accident? Color me skeptical...
    Homeowners insurance policies with good umbrellas will cover legal expenses in civil lawsuits, which this seems to be. Both President Clinton and O.J. used their policies to help fight cases.

Homeowners will pay the defendant's attorney's fee and the judgement, up to his liability limit, so unless the he had $250,000 in coverage he will be out of pocket. Homeowners won't pay punitive damages or for deliberate or criminal acts, none of which pertains to this case it seems. His insurance rates will go up as well.
    Plaintiff's attorney will probably get at least a third of the judgement, if not more.
    I have no problem with the award, assuming there was strong evidence that the guy was being reckless and not just someone who lost control.