Page 172 of 247 FirstFirst ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 6153
    Not sure I follow what your saying. What are the segments? Is that Strava?

And yeah, I've had to change trails labeled as green or blue to a doubletrack. I was also told to code them based on the most difficult section of trail. So if it's mostly easy, but the crux is difficult then the whole trail is based on that crux. Now the problem with me or anyone rating a trail is its just like my opinion man. I think everything is green because I'm like pro bro . Honestly, I'm super conservative with my ratings and I ask other people for their opinion because in the end who really gives a fuck.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

I used a free app called Kamoot in Italy. It’s 1000x better than TF.
    They use an S0 - S5 rating system, dropped along sections of a trail. So you can see if there’s a significant change in difficulty. They give a different grade for uphill difficulty which is nice when you see there’s gonna be hella hike-a-bike if you go this way! The S system is an objective measure of how much expertise & control of the bike the terrain demands, and seems to work way better than colors.
    If it doesn’t show an S grade, probably nobody is riding it, but it still lets you know there’s a trail. Which is super handy when you’re out in the woods scratching your head. Or you need to bail.
    You can use the desktop app to build longer rides connecting trails, gravel, bike paths, and you can send those to your friends and it’ll show distance & vert.
    And there’s no fucking fluff. The closest thing you’ll get to the app telling you the rules is a caution “A section of this route may be closed to bikes at this time”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I've edited GPS tracks on a couple trailforks trails that have been changed/rerouted and their website actually offers decent tools for it.

There are definitely some trails I've been on around here though where the GPS track is simply not right. Probably don't need to actually walk it--but I've certainly thought about riding at a leisurely pace on a clear day with a good bike computer (and maybe a phone as backup) just to get a clean track and fix the existing one.
    Mostly annoying on trails you don't know well if you're trying to load a route/course onto your computer and then the computer keeps freaking out because it thinks you are way off trail.

I do GIS stuff for work sometimes, so I'm kinda 50/50 on whether I want to volunteer my skills or if I want to keep work at work and away from my hobbies.

It would be cool if trailforks could take all of that subscription money...and hire some developers to make the trails somewhat self-correcting.

E.g. if the official trail goes one way, but 95% of the ridelogs from established riders are 5 meters east and there are no other trails nearby (including hidden closed/unsanctioned lines), just start to algorithmically push the trail track back to where everyone thinks it is. Especially if those riders are right on the money for other trails in the area.

Obviously give local admins the ability to override this, and if you have trails that have been walked with a quality GPS by the trailbuilder, flag them so they don't get moved around. Could also provide a good dashboard to flag for admins when there's either a problem with a trail that is forcing people to divert, or a change that needs to be adjusted--some kind of view that shows the average line of the last few weeks vs the historical line.

I have a GIS background, long time local admin and trail group rep on TF, it's not so bad and is only as good as the people uploading the data and understanding how to edit it effectively, and given it's a user generated data platform, obviously there will be some negatives occasionally. In my area a bunch of TF management and employees live so it also helps keep things fairly solid. We've been pretty proactive in adding downlow trails and hiding them to keep them off the public heatmap and ride logs in our region, but as with everything your local MMV.

Bike content: I rode a bike today.
    Rant content:
    To reward myself for riding a bike today, I got a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food.
    And…it didn’t have ANY damn marshmallow!
    The machine must have run out. That’s my favorite part. It was like having a tootsie pop with no tootsie.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

My turn for a swing at the dead horse: I borrowed a buddy's bike for the weekend, equipped with XTR brakes that he'd bled just a couple weeks prior because of wandering bite point. By day 2, it was wandering on me. Why people pay money for XTR is beyond me.

Less grams makes all the difference.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Bike content: I rode a bike today.
    Rant content:
    To reward myself for riding a bike today, I got a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food.
    And…it didn’t have ANY damn marshmallow!
    The machine must have run out. That’s my favorite part. It was like having a tootsie pop with no tootsie.
    Email them your complaint with the upc and watch the pro deals roll in.

Hey @smmokan, did you forget to post a rant here? I had not even heard of cables through the headset.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/burnin...e-headset.html

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Hey @smmokan, did you forget to post a rant here? I had not even heard of cables through the headset.

All of those brands can fuck off, especially Scott.

"But it's clear that a major factor in deciding to route cables through the headset is that it looks neater. That's obviously subjective, but if everyone really cared about servicing over aesthetics, we wouldn't have any internal routing at all. Personally, that would suit me just fine"

QFT

Leaves, leaves, leaves!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Leaves, leaves, leaves!
    And now for pages of arguing about leaf blowers on trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    "But it's clear that a major factor in deciding to route cables through the headset is that it looks neater. That's obviously subjective, but if everyone really cared about servicing over aesthetics, we wouldn't have any internal routing at all. Personally, that would suit me just fine"

QFT
    Agreed - that would suit me just fine as well. Goddammit.

another thing I will actively Avoid.

Its getting hard to avoid brake cable routing though the frame....

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post

How often do you re-work brake lines? In the life of our small fleet I have to do it once every couple years. So I’m kind of ambivalent about that. I have seen the routing ports from headset routing get screwed up in falls from the bars twisting. I’ve witnessed this on a canyon and a scott. That would annoy the heck out of me if my shinny new bike had that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post

Avoid Euro brands and you'll be fine. American brands are not likely to do it. My preferred Colorado brand has been on brake lines outside and threaded BB since day one. It's a culture yo. Kinda like Transition but more puffy jackets and less splifs

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Avoid Euro brands and you'll be fine. American brands are not likely to do it. My preferred Colorado brand has been on brake lines outside and threaded BB since day one. It's a culture yo. Kinda like Transition but more puffy jackets and less splifs
    Really? I can only think of two American brands that keep the brake hose fully external - GG and transition.

Spot does and always will ya heard. Can't say I pay attention to the other brands and brake hoses but I'm certain none will adopt this Euro cable nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    All of those brands can fuck off, especially Scott.
    Scott nailed it... headset cable routing, proprietary shock, one-piece handlebar/stem, and a birds' nest of cables up front. The quadfecta!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Spot does and always will ya heard. Can't say I pay attention to the other brands and brake hoses but I'm certain none will adopt this Euro cable nonsense
    Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten about spot. Those guys kinda always fly under my radar.

My shimano brakes are so reliable and easy to maintain that internal routing for the rear brake is no big deal

It’s not about reliable brakes, as much as it’s about the hassle to swap brakes.
    50% chance I buy a bike with brakes I don’t want.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

It's not even just about swapping brakes. Sometimes I want to take my bike apart. To clean it, to replace bearings, etc. If the rear brake is internally routed, I end up with the chainstays dangling from the front triangle by the brake line.