Page 64 of 247 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 6154
    I always leave the factory grease on. As noted, there are pros and cons, but the main upside is that I'm lazy and not doing anything about it is far easier than doing something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I always leave the factory grease on. As noted, there are pros and cons, but the main upside is that I'm lazy and not doing anything about it is far easier than doing something about it.
    This FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Yeah, I know there's some debate over this but I'm leaning that way as well. Do you go the full kerosene route or use a 'bike' degreaser?
    I use Simple Green for bike degreaser duties -- have a spray bottle diluted 50/50 with water for chain-on-the-bike drivetrain cleaning, and a jar with a little heavier concentration (maybe 60/40) for soaking the chain.

The initial degreasing of the factory chain lube takes awhile with that concentration. It's sticky, tenacious stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Is this every chain manufacturer? I've never even noticed when buying a new bike.

Sometimes the OEM lube/grease is so thick it affects shifting in the stand. Then I add lube.
    I don’t worry about chain life. It’s gonna wear out whether I care or not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

As I said, YMMV on the degreasing. I prefer to use a dry lube that doesn't attract dirt. Drivetrains on our bikes last a long time. But, I live in the desert and rarely ride in mud, rain, or even creek crossings. If I rode somewhere it rained a lot, sticky tenacious chain lube would probably work better than what I do now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Too many huckleberries on the higher mountain trails. A total distraction. Hard to stay focused on the pedaling when your wife wants to stop and pick.

Also roots and rocks in the trail makes it too bouncy on the way down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190825_125332.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	292332

Bought some 700c road tubes last year. Don't get flats often but when I went to use a tube I found it has a Schrader valve. Wtf!

In what alternate reality would these be used?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Bought some 700c road tubes last year. Don't get flats often but when I went to use a tube I found it has a Schrader valve. Wtf!

In what alternate reality would these be used?
    Commuter bike? Nice to be able to use a gas station air pump.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Too many huckleberries on the higher mountain trails. A total distraction. Hard to stay focused on the pedaling when your wife wants to stop and pick.

Also roots and rocks in the trail makes it too bouncy on the way down.

Name:	IMG_20190825_125332.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	292332
    Effing nature. I'm getting a Peloton.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Well said. I just throw the lube on top and ride away.

I wipe off as much as I can and give it a couple of lube/cleaning sessions with the r&r gold. The packaging grease seems to be more for anti-corrosion purposes and pretty thick.

Anyway, had my first e-bike on a non motorized trail encounter today. Went past a stopped group, going uphill, suddenly there's this guy behind me. Which was kind of surprising because I'm reasonably fast for around here and was on my cross bike. So I let him by. E-bike. I say "uh, I don't think you can ride that here."

His response: "well, apparently I can, because I'm doing it." Then he stops, goes back down the trail. So, he just wanted to show that he could ride uphill faster than me on his ebike I guess. I probably should have taken a picture and shamed him on the local cycling fb group.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Buying a new $$$$ bike, called the shop to tell them when I'm coming to pick it up and the tires are flat and not yet set up tubeless when I arrive.

They also didn't lube the chain. Rant-worthy or maybe the sticky grease chains come packed with is ok for a few rides?
    The only time I ever use a teflon type lube is on a brand new chain after riding it 2 or 3 times. At that point that sticky grease has started to wear out and the solvent that keeps the flakes in suspension breaks down what's left. After that I let it dry, usually overnight, and then hit it with DuMonde Tech.

You people make chains way more complicated than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    You people make chains way more complicated than they are.
    This^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

People hitting me. I rode mid day through the three day weekend and I now understand why hikers hate us.. seriously, there are shit tons of people riding beyond there abilities resulting in one hit a three misses by inches on one freakin trail that has no redeeming downhill value other than proximity to shuttle.

What trail?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Pinecone.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    People hitting me. I rode mid day through the three day weekend and I now understand why hikers hate us.. seriously, there are shit tons of people riding beyond there abilities resulting in one hit a three misses by inches on one freakin trail that has no redeeming downhill value other than proximity to shuttle.
    Pinecone is one of the better downhill trails out there in my opinion, especially coming off the crest. I was surprised there were only 4 people going up it yesterday as I came down it.

I fall somewhere in between Canada1's and brutah's opinion of Pinecone as a descent. Regardless, descending it fast and loose mid-day on a holiday weekend is about as stoopid as it gets. Had to be so much uphill traffic on it at the time.

Bike in tray of hitch mount rack on friends truck. Apparently I didn't jam the j arm tight enough for the pothole infested dirt road and my bike jumped out. Dragged 30' by the rear wheel, one spoke is tweaked a bit. Fucked up my Ultra hydros, $215 is the cheapest I can find for a replacement. Searched a bunch and it seems the 8020 hydro doesn't have a lever replacement like the 8000 cable.

Name:	20190902_214816.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	293018
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

That sucks. I’ve had two trays break over the years, but never any bike damage.

^^^
    Bummer, had that happen to me too a while back.
    In retrospect, I figured that is what i get for not loading my own bike (or at least checking it after the fact).

1upUSA.
    Seriously

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Fucking bottom brackets!