Page 140 of 238 FirstFirst ... 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 5949
    Stan’s tape is kind of a pain cause it doesn’t stretch, but it’s the only tape I’ve used that stays put long term when changing tires and such. I like Orange Seal Endurance for sealant. It’s pricey but a bottle lasts me a long time. I did homebrew for a while, but it just made me hate sealant more than I already do. The less I have to handle that shit the better.

I’m still not convinced that glitter does much good. I always thought crumbled rubber or something else round and flexible would work better, but I’ve never put that to the test. Orange Seal uses glitter. :shrug:
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I feel like researching DIY tubeless sealant could take me down the rabbit hole - are all latex mold builders created equal or is there a preferred brand?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Go to Michael's in kalispell. The latex mold builder is about half way back on the right side of the store. Go online and download a 40% off entire purchase coupon while you're standing in line to check out.

I've always mixed it with anti freeze instead of water, but... [shrug].

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Totally this!!! Now that I finally got my hands on the elusive 29x2.4xDDxMaxxTerra combo DHR2, I'm leaving the Tannus out. Mind you it did ride nice with the Tannus in there, sealing took WAY longer than necessary.
    Care to share where you found that tire? I'm hunting too

How much glitter do you all put in the homebrew?

And how many tires you all have and swap all the time that you need gallons of sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Go to Michael's in kalispell. The latex mold builder is about half way back on the right side of the store. Go online and download a 40% off entire purchase coupon while you're standing in line to check out.

I've always mixed it with anti freeze instead of water, but... [shrug].
    Sweet! I *just* bought another quart of Stan's about a week ago so by the time I need another quart... I'll have to go searching for this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    And how many tires you all have and swap all the time that you need gallons of sealant?
    Between my wife and I, we have 10 tires to do at least seasonally - I can't usually get through more than a season without having to replace sealant. With the kids getting older and their bike getting more legit that number will just be getting higher.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Between my wife and I, we have 10 tires to do at least seasonally - I can't usually get through more than a season without having to replace sealant. With the kids getting older and their bike getting more legit that number will just be getting higher.

Yeah, we have even more than that, and sealant dries out in less than 3 months here so we have to add more even before tires wear out. I think we went through 2+ quarts of sealant this year.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I have 3 bikes. Have to add sealant every few months. The 3:1 mix makes 64oz. A batch usually lasts me about a year.

Yup, between me and the wife there's 5-ish bikes to maintain. And 2 or 3 of those bikes probably get different tires a few times during the season. Plus a few flats over the season that require adding sealant. So ~16 tires per season at 2oz per tire = a full 32oz jug of orange seal / Stans, which is ~$40.

I go back and forth between home brew and Orange Seal. Homebrew is cheaper, but Orange Seal is easier when I'm lazy and it works a little better.

Anyone add water (or antifreeze, I guess) periodically to top up just the evaporated liquid?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Anyone add water (or antifreeze, I guess) periodically to top up just the evaporated liquid?
    I just add more sealant. Water isn't going to reconstitute it. It isn't orange juice.

I assume that, too, but presumably not all of it has coagulated yet, either. And if I'm adding more and more sealant I'm just making silicone animals as the liquid evaporates off. Seems like every other time just liquid might be better.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to pop the head off an old floor pump and put 5-10 cc's of water in the hose before topping off the air one of these days to try this out. Unless I'm gonna die doing that. Then I might not. Maybe.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

I hear that mixing different sealants is not good. Like don’t add Orange to tire that was done with Stan’s. Is it the same with homebrew? Don’t add it to a tire done with commercial sealant? Or is all old wife tales?

Also, clean up of dried up gunk. You all do it often?
    Last edited by Lvovsky; 11-19-2021 at 08:22 PM.

This isn’t a new rant, but where the hell are all the Shimano 12-speed components! Seems worse than last year. I’ll have to check some local shops. Can’t find 170mm cranks, cassettes, or derailleurs.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    This isn’t a new rant, but where the hell are all the Shimano 12-speed components! Seems worse than last year. I’ll have to check some local shops. Can’t find 170mm cranks, cassettes, or derailleurs.
    Thanks. I was starting to question the wisdom of my impulse buy of most of a drivetrain last year just to have as spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    old wife tails?
    Sounds like it could be fun.

^^ damn english

Mike fucking V. I have to check my junk folder occasionally and 90% of the emails in there are from that wacko. What is spamming a bunch of mountain bikers with anti-MTB mumbo jumbo going to accomplish?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Mike fucking V. I have to check my junk folder occasionally and 90% of the emails in there are from that wacko. What is spamming a bunch of mountain bikers with anti-MTB mumbo jumbo going to accomplish?
    What?!? What year is this? He's still at that? Guess they have internet access from the retirement community.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That guy really should be institutionalized.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That guy really should be institutionalized.
    But all he wanted was a Pepsi.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Rode one of my trails for the first time in a couple months. Someone went down it and spray painted white dots and lines on rocks the entire length of the trail, added a bunch of cheater rocks and built a couple lame alternate lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	398057

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Rode one of my trails for the first time in a couple months. Someone went down it and spray painted white dots and lines on rocks the entire length of the trail, added a bunch of cheater rocks and built a couple lame alternate lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	398057
    Oh man, same shit with my trials. Some tool painted trails with super bright colors, red, yellow, blue and others. I tried to grind, scrape to no avail. Finally painted over some but he/she came back and painted again.

Our other network someone had painted as well, but not nearly as obnoxious, but we still killed it. Now someone is tying ribbon all over the place. That shit is coming down also.

I don't necessarily mind a small forest green dot down low spaced way out, but in general painting the forest sucks. Especially in my neck of the woods. Go a mile or two in any direction and you're gonna hit a road or railroad tracks ya fuckwhits!

That stuff sucks--I feel for you guys. No one has done that to mine but the occasional superfluous cairn shows up now and then, so I tear it down.

Some asshat built about 6 of these stone walls on one of our legal, signed trails recently. It interrupted my ride to tear them all out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211121_151252.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	398100

I have no pictures but recently somebody has been removing the roots on some trails - completely chopping them out. The result has been that those trails have fewer bumps (bummer) and some have seen some significant erosion as a result.

There was one climb that was steep and challenging only whenever the root at the crux was wet. Now, less than 1 year later the trail went from flat and smooth to having eroded to the point where more roots and rocks are showing and it is no longer smooth and easy as was intended by the root chopper. Talk about your all time backfire. :-)