Page 53 of 241 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 6017
    Those e13 cassettes are absolute garbage. I've had the cogs fold over on me on 2 separate cassettes. 700 miles sounds great. I think I got 200 miles out of one and maybe 300 out of the other. I wanted to like them. The weight and range is good, but never again.

I love the range with the 11 speeds...

Is there another 11 speed to consider, I guess I could do without the 9 tooth and go to 10 and go down to 4x0% with the shimano... box or anyone else any good?
    Last edited by grskier; 07-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Maybe not full rant worthy, but it annoys me that a handlebar swap requires 5+ different tools. Last night's required 2.5/3/4/5 mm hex, a T25 and a Phillips. Lock-ons obviously need the 2.5, but I see no reason why everything else (stem, brakes, shifter, dropper, bell) can't be 4 mm hex.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I love the range with the 11 speeds...

Is there another 11 speed to consider, I guess I could do without the 9 tooth and go to 10 and go down to 4x0% with the shimano... box or anyone else any good?
    Shimano XT 11-46? There’s also Sunrace and Garbaruk.

Anyone know if the Shimano 11-46 can be used on a SRAM drivetrain? I've heard mixing and matching is OK. Currently running SRAM 11-42 and wouldn't mind just a tad more granny at times.

the internet says yes : https://brokenspokebikes.com/blogs/n...imano-cassette

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Anyone know if the Shimano 11-46 can be used on a SRAM drivetrain? I've heard mixing and matching is OK. Currently running SRAM 11-42 and wouldn't mind just a tad more granny at times.

I did it for a while till I could afford a new shifter and derailleur. Never had any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Maybe not full rant worthy, but it annoys me that a handlebar swap requires 5+ different tools. Last night's required 2.5/3/4/5 mm hex, a T25 and a Phillips. Lock-ons obviously need the 2.5, but I see no reason why everything else (stem, brakes, shifter, dropper, bell) can't be 4 mm hex.
    Yep, I was just thinking this the other day when simply adjusting the angle of my bar - dropper lever is a 3mm, shifter is a 5mm and brake levers are 4mm.

Not really a new concept to bitch about, but seems to happen all the time in bike world “BRAND NEW” only 50 miles “BRAND NEW” barely ridden!

No, no it’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I did it for a while till I could afford a new shifter and derailleur. Never had any issues.

I got all excited and forgot that I'd have to buy a new driver for my hub. Deal breaker, I'll just keep struggling up the steeps.

I got all excited and forgot that I'd have to buy a new driver for my hub. Deal breaker, I'll just keep struggling up the steeps.
    The E-13 9-46T cassette is 11 spd and uses a XD Driver. Sun Race may make something too.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Not really a new concept to bitch about, but seems to happen all the time in bike world “BRAND NEW” only 50 miles “BRAND NEW” barely ridden!

No, no it’s not.
    I really want/need a new shock for my bike (have a trail shock on a 165mm travel mini DH bike and am 200lbs with gear on), but the only shocks i can reasonably afford are listed in the PB buy/sell as "lightly used" or "only test ridden"... yeah fucking right.

Yes: you can mix/match cassettes as long as they’re the same number of cogs.
    Yes: needing to buy a new freehub/driver is maddening. Shimano deciding to add a new one out of spite is just plain retarded.
    Yes: 4mm cockpit bolts should be the law. Even for grips.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Does anyone ever use the 10mm or 1.5mm Allen wrenchs that come with every set?
    I don’t think I’ve ever used the 10mm.
    I only use the 1.5mm for picking dirt out of bigger bolt heads and for releasing the Shimano brake handlebar clamp. No memory of ever “wrenching” one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I believe I have used the 1.5 mm and IMS, using it was even more irritating. Nothing should be that small.

I've only used the 1.5 for releasing Shimano brake clamps.

I think I used the 10mm one on a suspension pivot bolt, but not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

10mm is not very commonly used. Current SRAM cranks with self extracting bolts have a 10mm lock ring, but you should rarely need to adjust the locking ring, only the 8mm extractor bolt. Some older Shimano octalink cranks have a 10mm extractor bolt. Older Shimano freehubs (pre 14mm free hubs) for steel axles used a 10mm internal hex to remove them.

It's worth it.

XT Cassette ~$65
    DT 350 Driver ~$65

GX Cassette ~$130

It's worth it.

XT Cassette ~$65
    DT 350 Driver ~$65

GX Cassette ~$130

So for the same price, you can add a bunch of unsprung, rotating weight to your bike. Sounds sweet.

A 10-42 sram cassette will be about the same as an 11-46 shimano cassette if you just drop down 2 teeth on the chainring.

I'm confused. Did you mis-type your first post and you actually have a 10-42 on an XD freehub? In that case, you have some options:

Leonardi General Lee 9-45: https://leonardistore.com/collection...l-lee-11v-9-45

Garbaruk 10-46: https://www.garbaruk.com/11-speed-xd.html

SunRace CSMX9X 10-46: http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csmx9x

Hope also makes 10-44 and 10-48 cassettes (https://www.hopetech.com/products/dr...-spd-cassette/), but they only work on Hope hubs or DT Swiss hubs with a OneUp MiniDriver (https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/minidriver). The E13 cassettes have pretty well documented durability issues, I'd avoid.

No way I'd go back to a standard Shimano freehub. Besides having very limited options for wide-range cassettes that aren't boat anchors, XD just plain works better.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    So for the same price, you can add a bunch of unsprung, rotating weight to your bike. Sounds sweet.

A 10-42 sram cassette will be about the same as an 11-46 shimano cassette if you just drop down 2 teeth on the chainring.
    Yeah, 10-42 is more range (albeit only slightly) than 11-46. That 10t makes a big damn difference. Swapping from 11-42 to 11-46 makes plenty of sense if you need an extra low gear, but swapping from 10-42 to 11-46 absolutely does not.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Sorry, I'm too busy riding my bike to waste time weighing each hex bolt. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever finished a ride only to think how much better it would have been with less unsprung weight... but then again, there's probably 34.768g of extra chain lube and dirt in my cassette right now. I'll go measure it to confirm.

FWIW:
    https://www.bike24.com/p2231000.html?q=gx+eagle

12-spd GX shifter, chain, cassette, derailleur, for about $250 shipped to the US. If anyone around Reno/Northern California wants to order one, let me know, I'll pick up a set too and split shipping costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I got bit by an off leash dog in boulder yesterday while riding. I was so fucking pissed. I hate riding in the front range.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Yes: needing to buy a new freehub/driver is maddening. Shimano deciding to add a new one out of spite is just plain retarded
    To be fair, Shimano needed a new platform in order to put a 10t on and compete with SRAM. They certainly weren’t going to use the XD.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever finished a ride only to think how much better it would have been with less unsprung weight...
    Says the guy who mostly rides hardtails

The main point though is that 11-46 is less range than 10-42, so it's a pretty pointless swap.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    To be fair, Shimano needed a new platform in order to put a 10t on and compete with SRAM. They certainly weren’t going to use the XD.
    Well, they could have used XD, and I've got $37 that says they would have sold a lot more 10-xx cassettes that way, but we'll see. I'll be surprised, nay, shocked, if Microspline ever becomes anywhere near as popular as XD. XD has a 6-year head start.