Check Out Our Shop
Page 257 of 257 FirstFirst ... 252 253 254 255 256 257
Results 6,401 to 6,418 of 6418
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I too am surprised the police are actually giving smmokan the time of day. In most jurisdictions; only violent crime is actually investigated. Everything else is just documentation…
    I'm sure that is the case in a lot of places but sometimes there are cops who do take it seriously. Much more likely when it is a break in to a home than a vehicle or a locked up bike that was stolen though.

A friend of mine here in SD had her bike stolen off the car bike rack at a grocery store a few years ago. She tracked it down on CL and called police. They set up a sting where she met the seller, and once she confirmed it was her bike they arrested the guy. He was convicted and was sentenced to 27 months in jail (no idea how many he actually served). Probably an unusual case but shows you can get their attention at times.

I've posted this before but keep an eye on all the marketplaces and all geographic areas using a single search using Searchtempest.com. My friends bike showed up on San Francisco CL even though it was still in SD.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    A friend of mine here in SD had her bike stolen off the car bike rack at a grocery store a few years ago. She tracked it down on CL and called police. They set up a sting where she met the seller, and once she confirmed it was her bike they arrested the guy. He was convicted and was sentenced to 27 months in jail (no idea how many he actually served). Probably an unusual case but shows you can get their attention at times.
    Was she an attractive woman? Because soon after the time where I couldn't get the police to lift a finger to do a sting and get my expensive bike back, I went on a tinder date with a woman who got cops to go to bat for her over a <$500 junker that was stolen from the back yard of an apartment building.

Her description sounded about like I expected it would have gone when I first called the police. You'd think they'd be excited to step away from the desk, pull some beat cops off traffic patrol, and go tackle a perp. Maybe it was because she was cute...maybe it was just luck of the draw and I got a lazy cop.

^^^ tinder date humble brag.

How hot was she?

Hot enough to get the cops to do their job.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

SPD did jack shit when my GX was stolen. I’m pretty ugly though…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Meh…. Any defense lawyer with a pulse could walk right around some shitty Ring Camera footage…
    It's funny that you think it ever gets to a trial. Cops show the video to the suspect, suspect admits, prosecutor reduces the charges. None of these petty or low value felony thefts ever see the inside of a courtroom.

The quality of the standard consumer WiFi camera is not great. The thief has to be like <10’ away, moving slow, face towards the camera, in light, etc… for you to actually see who they are let alone lead to an actual positive ID….
    Cameras have come a long way in the last few years. This one was ~150. Telephoto and wide angle lenses, with automatic tracking, led and IR illumination. I can read the phone number on the side of the delivery truck that dumped some gravel at my neighbor's house on Monday.

801-816-9104

Wide Angle

Telephoto

I didn’t say trial.

Cops show the video to the suspect. Suspect says “I need a lawyer”. Lawyer says. “prove that’s my client, we’re done here”

I think your still shots prove my point. Your neighbor looks like your neighbor to you in that photo because you know him, his posture, how he mows shirtless… to me; without of closeup of his face; it’s just fit some bearded dude. And there are probably a lot of fit bearded dudes within 100mi of your address that could stand in for that guy…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Good a place as any

Posted at 2:39 PM, Oct 21, 2022
    and last updated 2:29 PM, Oct 23, 2022

The driver of the truck that fatally struck Bozeman High School teacher Kelly Fulton on his bicycle has been cited for Careless Driving resulting in the death or serious bodily injury of another person, a misdemeanor charge.

According to the Bozeman Police Department, David Casto, 47, of Bozeman, was cited on Thursday, Oct. 20, 2022, and has been ordered to appear before the Bozeman Municipal Court to answer to the citation.

In a media release, the police department released the following details:

The investigation found the driver of the vehicle, identified as David Casto, 47, of Bozeman, was traveling westbound on Oak Street where he failed to stop for a red traffic signal at the intersection of North 15th Avenue. As Casto entered the intersection his vehicle struck Fulton. Fulton had been riding his bicycle and traveling southbound on 15th Avenue on a green traffic signal. Fulton was wearing a helmet at the time of the collision. Casto remained at the scene of the collision and has been cooperative throughout the investigation.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

There's a "Fucking Drivers" thread, but yeah. Misdemeanor charges for blowing a red light and killing someone. Probably wouldn't be different if he had killed him in his car. The leniency we give to people who kill others on the road is completely insane.

There's a "Fucking Drivers" thread,
    Difficult to find when all I get is this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 07-35-47 https __www.tetongravity.com.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	494085
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Was she an attractive woman? .
    Definitely not hot.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

I didn’t say trial.

Cops show the video to the suspect. Suspect says “I need a lawyer”. Lawyer says. “prove that’s my client, we’re done here”

I think your still shots prove my point. Your neighbor looks like your neighbor to you in that photo because you know him, his posture, how he mows shirtless… to me; without of closeup of his face; it’s just fit some bearded dude. And there are probably a lot of fit bearded dudes within 100mi of your address that could stand in for that guy…

Tweakers don't ask for attorneys, it just doesn't happen. Tweakers want to tweak, they admit to what they did and they're right back out to score their next fix. However, the next time it happens, the evidence is there in the system and they don't get off with a slap on the wrist.

I know you want to argue, and I just can't be bothered. If you can read the phone number on a truck two houses down and across the street, it's not just "shitty Ring Camera footage."

Thanks for saying I look "fit." It's better that what my kids say.

Shitty Ring Camera Video

Not Shitty Ring Camera Video

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Tweakers don't ask for attorneys, it just doesn't happen. Tweakers want to tweak, they admit to what they did and they're right back out to score their next fix. However, the next time it happens, the evidence is there in the system and they don't get off with a slap on the wrist.

I know you want to argue, and I just can't be bothered. If you can read the phone number on a truck two houses down and across the street, it's not just "shitty Ring Camera footage."

Thanks for saying I look "fit." It's better that what my kids say.
    Cops here don’t give a fuck about your video. They aren’t gonna bother looking at it or waste their time looking for porch pirates. You’re in fantasy land if you think your video is gonna make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Cops here don’t give a fuck about your video. They aren’t gonna bother looking at it or waste their time looking for porch pirates. You’re in fantasy land if you think your video is gonna make a difference

It must suck to live where you do.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Definitely nicer than Sandy Utard. Do the police there try to find white suspects or just the black ones?

No DA is gonna bother a those pics even in your crap hole there

Mildly irritated that new Shimano Di2 still has goddamn wires. (GRX). I am really hoping for a competitor to SRAM, I hope to have absolutely no internally routed bullshit on my e-bike going forward (even if that means externally routing the rear brake as well).
    Hopefully XT/XTR will have a better solution.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I hope to have absolutely no internally routed bullshit on my e-bike.
    IRONY
    i·ro·ny1

noun
    noun: irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Well, I apparently have to be very clear: only in regards to items that require replacing or maintenance, IE, shifter housing, brake housing, seat post housing. I replace these on average once or twice a year, the actual motor/controller/sensor wiring, absolutely never.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident