Page 148 of 241 FirstFirst ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 6022
    Total waste of time but send pictures of the damage to the USFS anyway.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    The fucktard horse people who waited until it was raining to ride one of the few close to town legal to mountain bike trails that I brought back to life years ago. Deep horse tracks that will take all summer to smooth out and as always, shit all over the trail. Fuck horse people!! They never do any clearing or maintenance, they just fuck up trails and leave. It’s goddamn maddening! Ah, I feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Same thing here. I'm sure there's some cool equestrians, but I've yet to meet them and that includes 17 seasons w/ the USFS mostly doing trail work.

Last year I basically had to have most of a trailwork day break up and smooth over a really popular trail that had deep horse prints in it. Also, that whole section of the network is no horses or dogs. In another spot we had some people on horses walk all over the berms and fuck things up on a downhill only, bikes only trail. Which, I feel like has to be absolutely deliberate.

I just figured out that swapping shocks on my kid's bike is going to require a $120 tool or a trip to the shop. Eyelet bearings can fuck right off.

Dan, the same tool I was dealing with last week. I don’t know why R.M. is doing that!!

As an alternative it would seem I can buy a new bearing set for $40 since you only need the tool to remove and not install. That's probably more than what the shop will charge to swap them to a different shock, though, and will take a few days. So dumb, this was supposed to be a zero-beer 5-minute job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As an alternative it would seem I can buy a new bearing set for $40 since you only need the tool to remove and not install. That's probably more than what the shop will charge to swap them to a different shock, though, and will take a few days. So dumb, this was supposed to be a zero-beer 5-minute job!
    And you still need to use a punch to remove one side of the bearing. FacePalm emoji
    This us a handy trick to use a spacer to push out the second side.

Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 06-29-2022 at 09:21 PM.

I just figured out that swapping shocks on my kid's bike is going to require a $120 tool or a trip to the shop. Eyelet bearings can fuck right off.
    I have had no problem very gently using a drift punch. Probably have done it six or seven times. However, I do buy extra eyelet bearings for the coils.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

It cost me a six pack at the shop. The problem is that son is meticulous about his bike and servicing will make this an issue frequently. I’m going to buy the tool when I can find it in stock. I love their bikes and their local rep, but that part is a case of the engineers overcoming a non existent problem with an over complicated solution.

Not a rant, but more of a holy shit...

Got an invoice from SC on my frame, so I email and ask if it's going to ship soon due to an invoice being provided. In the email I ask if I can change the shipping address because I'm going to be out of town. They respond with I'll get back to you. I wait several days and assume it's fine because I was told I'd get a shipping notification once shipped. I send a follow up email and get an out of office reply. Last Monday rolls around and I get a response that it was delivered to my house the previous Thursday. I scramble and get someone to my house and thankfully it's still sitting in my driveway 4+ days later. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    but that part is a case of the engineers overcoming a non existent problem with an over complicated solution.
    Exactly, solution in search of a problem. I highly doubt it makes a meaningful difference in small bump performance. The Enduro version of the tool is in stock. It costs twice as much as Rocky's version, but who knows when that will be available, and some people say the enduro one is better.

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...s/BRT-006.html

I'm just going to have the shop do it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	416A9B01-C8A8-4030-AC33-9AF4EF7CC63C.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	840.9 KB 
ID:	420391

I can't picture how a drift will get the cups out of the eyelet. I'm trying to move the whole kit over to a new shock, not just replace the bearings.

I took it to my preferred LBS who is a Rocky dealer. They did not have the tool but figured they could get it done. Had it all day and couldn't do it. Took it to another shop who said they had the tool on the phone; turns out they didn't and the mechanic just looked at it puzzled for a few minutes and said he didn't even know what to try. Called the two other Rocky dealers in the valley and neither had the tool. Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I was perplexed until I just VERY METHODICALLY AND SLOWLY found the seam between the two cups, and tapped ever so gently, going in micrometers around the seam of one cup, until one side came out. Then it was easy to get the other side out. I wish I had a video.
    This process is for the entire cup, not the bearings.

Sort of like this.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/how-to-...tinct.1178041/

I can't picture how a drift will get the cups out of the eyelet. I'm trying to move the whole kit over to a new shock, not just replace the bearings.

I took it to my preferred LBS who is a Rocky dealer. They did not have the tool but figured they could get it done. Had it all day and couldn't do it. Took it to another shop who said they had the tool on the phone; turns out they didn't and the mechanic just looked at it puzzled for a few minutes and said he didn't even know what to try. Called the two other Rocky dealers in the valley and neither had the tool. Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
    PC Bike Demo has the enduro version of the tool.

Ridiculously overpriced proprietary tools annoy me.

Manitou (Hayes) warrantied the lowers for my fork which had a ridiculous amount of stiction. I thought it would improve with time but after 200 miles I pulled the lowers and tracked the issue to an overly tight bushing in one leg. It affected small bump sensitivity quite a bit and I didn't want to track down a bushing burnishing tool so I got in touch with Hayes. Couple days later I received the new lowers, great customer service on their part. The new lowers didn't have the receiving end of the proprietary axle Manitou uses. I figured I'd cannibalize the part from the defective lowers then realized than the retaining ring (grey ring with loctite in the pic below) was decidedly not made to come off with any tool I had on hand.

Off to the internet I go to find out that Hayes sells a dedicated retainer tool for 45 fucking dollars. It's the beautiful red anodized thing in the pic with 4 pins and slot of a torque wrench. Looks like a $3 part at most and it certainly wasn't included with either of the forks I bought from them. $45 seems a bit excessive for something that serves 1 purpose, will be used once a year at most, but is required if you ever want to work on the receiving end of the axle....
    FFS, even Shimano includes adapters for most of their weird proprietary parts (BB, centerlock rotor lockrings)...

I ended up cutting a old spoke into a U-shape and cranking on it with long pliers. I eventually got the retaining ring off, took a lot of effort to break through the loctite, the spoke kept bending, and I ended with scratching the shit out of the retainer ring.

$45 is the price of the whole axle system which is bad enough on its own. But to find out you need a $45 tool to install it? Fucking bike industry nonsense!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  72.4 KB
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Ridiculously overpriced proprietary tools annoy me.

Manitou (Hayes) warrantied the lowers for my fork which had a ridiculous amount of stiction. I thought it would improve with time but after 200 miles I pulled the lowers and tracked the issue to an overly tight bushing in one leg. It affected small bump sensitivity quite a bit and I didn't want to track down a bushing burnishing tool so I got in touch with Hayes. Couple days later I received the new lowers, great customer service on their part. The new lowers didn't have the receiving end of the proprietary axle Manitou uses. I figured I'd cannibalize the part from the defective lowers then realized than the retaining ring (grey ring with loctite in the pic below) was decidedly not made to come off with any tool I had on hand.

Off to the internet I go to find out that Hayes sells a dedicated retainer tool for 45 fucking dollars. It's the beautiful red anodized thing in the pic with 4 pins and slot of a torque wrench. Looks like a $3 part at most and it certainly wasn't included with either of the forks I bought from them. $45 seems a bit excessive for something that serves 1 purpose, will be used once a year at most, but is required if you ever want to work on the receiving end of the axle....
    FFS, even Shimano includes adapters for most of their weird proprietary parts (BB, centerlock rotor lockrings)...

I ended up cutting a old spoke into a U-shape and cranking on it with long pliers. I eventually got the retaining ring off, took a lot of effort to break through the loctite, the spoke kept bending, and I ended with scratching the shit out of the retainer ring.

$45 is the price of the whole axle system which is bad enough on its own. But to find out you need a $45 tool to install it? Fucking bike industry nonsense!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  72.4 KB
    $45 for that tool does seem like a lot, but you probably could have used a regular pin spanner too. And those are useful for a lot of things.

That reminds me, I need to warranty my Mezzer for the exact same issue. Bushings tight AF and small bump feels like shit.

Fuck Rock Mountain.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Fuck Rock Mountain.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GbkEdKDbdsjy5ud89

?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    $45 for that tool does seem like a lot, but you probably could have used a regular pin spanner too. And those are useful for a lot of things.
    Don't have on of these, thus the spoke trick. I think I used to have one that never ever saw any action (it was a BB tool of sorts) and it eventually disappeared.
    I will buy one for about $10 to do pretty much exactly what the silly Hayes tool does, minus the ability to torque to spec...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    That reminds me, I need to warranty my Mezzer for the exact same issue. Bushings tight AF and small bump feels like shit.
    They're really good about it. I just emailed Hayes with a question, not even a request for warranty. Described the issue and a new set of lowers was at the house 3 days later. They're in stock ATM, you may want to jump on it.
    Upper bushing in the right leg was so tight I had to hit the arch with a rubber mallet to get the lowers off the stanchions. When riding it was OK as soon as stiction broke and the hits were consistent but the second the fork was allowed to sit still it would essentially lock in place until I really pushed on it. I put the new lowers on last night and bounced around in the driveway, night and day difference. The fork feels like butter.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I spent years thinking I was the kind of rider who "didn't really break parts all that much." Not because I'm smooth, or light, but because I'm slow and scared. And then in the span of two weeks I toasted a shock, and royally bent a pair of cranks that apparently no one else on the internet has ever had issues with.

Edited to add: I also blew up a pair of brakes, but that's sorta to be expected with old Guides. Still though, not a fan of buying so many new parts all at once.

So, not really a rant, but I'm coming to the slow realization that I've become a heavy old man who often cases things and sometimes overshoots them, and that has consequences for my wallet. Someday my new cranks will get here and I can go back to breaking other parts on my poor new hardtail.
    Last edited by cydwhit; 07-07-2022 at 03:07 PM.

As I have started to ride the bike park more and am now using a full face helmet, I got some goggles to use because it seemed like it was the proper thing to do. They make my face sweaty, put pressure on my nose so i cant breath as well, and kind of get in the way.

I am not a downhill racer, nor am I ever riding in wet/muddy conditions. I really don't see the benefit of goggles.

Don't care if its a kooky move, but I'm wearing sunglasses with my full face helmet from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I spent years thinking I was the kind of rider who "didn't really break parts all that much." Not because I'm smooth, or light, but because I'm slow and scared. And then in the span of two weeks I toasted a shock, and royally bent a pair of cranks that apparently no one else on the internet has ever had issues with.

So, not really a rant, but I'm coming to the slow realization that I've become a heavy old man who often cases things and sometimes overshoots them, and that has consequences for my wallet. Someday my new cranks will get here and I can go back to breaking other parts on my poor new hardtail.
    LOL, are you even 30 yet?

Riding with goggles is an acquired taste. Eventually they feel normal and you stop thinking about them. But yours also sound like a bad fit.
    I just switched from 100% to Oakley Airbrakes. Better lenses, easier to clean, less bulky looking down.
    FWIW, I do FF without goggles all the time on my the enduro stuff.

However many are in a shit ton.