Page 54 of 247 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 6151
    Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    I got bit by an off leash dog in boulder yesterday while riding. I was so fucking pissed. I hate riding in the front range.
    This is one reason I miss frame pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Well, they could have used XD, and I've got $37 that says they would have sold a lot more 10-xx cassettes that way, but we'll see. I'll be surprised, nay, shocked, if Microspline ever becomes anywhere near as popular as XD. XD has a 6-year head start.
    This. Shimano's 12 speed roll out has been a case study in corporate ineptitude.

Slow to market + unnecessary proprietary bullshit + very limited availability of proprietary bullshit = handing the drivetrain market to sram.

Which is unfortunate, because there's a ton of room for improvement with sram's drivetrains. But shimano is going to have to pull their heads out of their asses if they're going to actually compete at all.

Says the guy who mostly rides hardtails

The main point though is that 11-46 is less range than 10-42, so it's a pretty pointless swap.

Well, they could have used XD, and I've got $37 that says they would have sold a lot more 10-xx cassettes that way, but we'll see. I'll be surprised, nay, shocked, if Microspline ever becomes anywhere near as popular as XD. XD has a 6-year head start.
    Depends (a little bit) on how much traction the XT and SLX platforms get on OEM purchases in the next few years, I reckon’. “Ours goes to 51!”
    FWIW, My new XTR shifts SO much better under load (And has a better low gear spread), it has been totally eye-opening. Been on Sram for years before this.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    I got bit by an off leash dog in boulder yesterday while riding. I was so fucking pissed. I hate riding in the front range.
    I always hear riders complaining about off-leash dogs, and this certainly validates that. But i ride around off-leash dogs all the time here in the PNW and have never had an issue (except from a couple entitled equestrians)... worst ive had to deal with is a trail dog-in-training puppy who kept wanting to follow me instead of the owner, or a dog who jumped on me with muddy paws haha. Who the hell brings an aggressive dog to a popular trail system and lets them off leash?

I'm confused. Did you mis-type your first post and you actually have a 10-42 on an XD freehub?
    Yup, you're right. For some reason I had it in my head that it was 11 but it's the 10-42 SRAM cassette that I'm running. toast2266 suggested going to a smaller ring in the front but I can't, I'm already running a smaller ring than my frame manufacturer says I should be. If I go any smaller it will start rubbing into the frame.

Maybe I'll try that sunrace CSMX9X next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Yup, you're right. For some reason I had it in my head that it was 11 but it's the 10-42 SRAM cassette that I'm running. toast2266 suggested going to a smaller ring in the front but I can't, I'm already running a smaller ring than my frame manufacturer says I should be. If I go any smaller it will start rubbing into the frame.
    What ring are you running? I don't quite get how a smaller ring would rub the frame. Is the issue that the chain would rub on the chainstay?

XD just plain works better.
    You can actually tell a difference in performance?

My Mojo3 came with XD. Works no differently than any cassette I've ever run before far as I can tell.

My main annoyance was when it came time to replace the drivetrain I bought a normal cassette not realizing this one was XD. Then I go to buy an XD cassette after finding that's what it was, and cheapest MSRP I could find on XD cassette was fucking $130??? Fuck SRAM and fuck worthless standards. Found a "deal" on one for around $100. That is about $40 more than I've ever spent on a cassette before. Thankfully that hub blew up so I got non-XD when I replaced the wheel. Back to my $60 XT cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    You can actually tell a difference in performance?
    1) better gear range

2) splines never gouge

3) cassettes never seize onto the freehub body

4) weighs a little less

Sram cassettes are expensive, but other brands (SR Suntour, among others) make cheaper XD cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What ring are you running? I don't quite get how a smaller ring would rub the frame. Is the issue that the chain would rub on the chainstay?
    Yup. Evil Offering. They say the minimum is 30T Round / 32T Oval. I'm running a 30T oval already with just a smidge of rub, going lower would probably not be good for the chainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I'm about to lose it over a mystery creak (while pedaling)....so far I've greased and retorqued:
    -Pedals
    -BB
    -Crankarm
    -Chain guide
    -All suspension pivots
    -Axles
    -Rear derailleur pivots
    -Derailleur hanger
    -Seatpost clamp

So frustrating!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Chainring bolts and clean spider/ring interface.

Is your seat rail seat interface smoked?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Not really a new concept to bitch about, but seems to happen all the time in bike world “BRAND NEW” only 50 miles “BRAND NEW” barely ridden!

No, no it’s not.
    Yeah, this really pisses me off too. Just be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Shimano deciding to add a new one out of spite is just plain retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    To be fair, Shimano needed a new platform in order to put a 10t on and compete with SRAM. They certainly weren’t going to use the XD.
    As rideit said, they had to do it to get 10 and sram was eating their lunch, but the licensing situation is def fucked. No King? No Stan's? No Hope? How about no sales. smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I'm about to lose it over a mystery creak (while pedaling)....so far I've greased and retorqued:
    -Pedals
    -BB
    -Crankarm
    -Chain guide
    -All suspension pivots
    -Axles
    -Rear derailleur pivots
    -Derailleur hanger
    -Seatpost clamp

So frustrating!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Check your freehub, and by check I mean check it thoroughly.

Hold the bike by hand and apply the rear brake, see if you can reproduce the creak by putting load on the pedals (lots of load). If you aren't holding the bike by the headset or seat it's likely the freehub.

I've had 2 "mystery creaks" in 2 years, both of them were under load and both times it was a cracked or damaged freehub.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Fuck SRAM and fuck worthless standards.
    how do you feel about DUB?

(ducks for cover)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Depends (a little bit) on how much traction the XT and SLX platforms get on OEM purchases in the next few years, I reckon’. “Ours goes to 51!”
    Either way the consumer is the loser (financially)

I've broken glue seal connection to seat post a couple times that always started as a mystery creak on rides

I got lost (or didn’t read) in the whole 10-42 SRAM part.
    All I want to add is I have had really good luck with SRAM 10-42 with a OneUp Components 44 top gear.
    Both the 11 speed XX1 and X01 can add a OneUp 44t top cog.
    This is the lightest option for wide range 11 speed. Especially if you already have a XD driver.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    1) better gear range

2) splines never gouge

3) cassettes never seize onto the freehub body

4) weighs a little less

Sram cassettes are expensive, but other brands (SR Suntour, among others) make cheaper XD cassettes.
    All that, plus the cassettes are one piece. I don't miss lining up and restacking cassette cogs onto the freehub one bit. The pricier lightweight SRAM X1/XO1 11sp cassettes are priced about the same as XTR/M9000 cassettes.

The “10-42 has more range than 11-46” is kind of bunk tho isn’t it? Are people really buying it for range and that 10 cog or are they buying it for the granny gear? I know my fat ass couldn’t care less about 10-11-12 I’m so very rarely in it, 46 on the other hand, I’m in all the time. Also my Shimano XT and xtr drivetrains shift so crisp and smooth, dirty or not. But wtf do I know I’m a pure Shimano fan boy through and through.

I like Shimano's shifting better too, but they are waaay late to this party.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I like Shimano's shifting better too, but they are waaay late to this party.
    Fair critique. That said, I run a 30t front and I’ve never said “man I need even more a granny gear” and see my up hill riding style above, re: fat and slow,
    having said that, I know there are some non-ease of pedaling advantages to riding bigger front ring so maybe the 51 will allow me to do so now.

The “10-42 has more range than 11-46” is kind of bunk tho isn’t it? Are people really buying it for range and that 10 cog or are they buying it for the granny gear?
    I used to get shit from my friends all the time about running a 28t ring up front saying they'd never run that because they'd run out of gear on trails all the time. Makes no sense to me. Maybe I am just not pedaling hard enough but I'm not setting up my bike for sprinting down fire roads.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Yup. Evil Offering. They say the minimum is 30T Round / 32T Oval. I'm running a 30T oval already with just a smidge of rub, going lower would probably not be good for the chainstay.
    Gotcha. Then yeah, like DTM said, there are a few brands that make XD compatible large range cassettes. Sunrace makes a 10-46.

The “10-42 has more range than 11-46” is kind of bunk tho isn’t it? Are people really buying it for range and that 10 cog or are they buying it for the granny gear? I know my fat ass couldn’t care less about 10-11-12 I’m so very rarely in it, 46 on the other hand, I’m in all the time.
    Yeah, range matters. Unless you have a frame interference issue like dfinn, you can just move to smaller chainring instead of buying a new cassette+freehub. Or, the XD hub gives you the option of going to a 10-46 and getting the same granny while keeping your top-end. No compromises.

North Shore Billet makes a really nice SRAM direct mount 26t front ring if someone really needs a low gearing and does not want to spend money in the back. They come in GXP, BB30, and Boost.
    They are great guys that put a lot into the local trails and events in the Whistler/Squamish/Pemberton area.

Mrsjm2e runs 28T x 10-50 eagle and if she could get a lower gear she’d take it.
    I’m running 32T x 10-50 Eagle and am occasionally jealous of her.
    I’m over climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.