Page 162 of 238 FirstFirst ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 5949
    My stupid Industry 9 hubs have play in them again. Rebuilding once a year is kind of a lot for a guy who doesn't wash his bike much, or ride in the rain. The sealing on them is a total joke.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    If you’re buying the crank aftermarket, the tool will come in the box.
    Bought a different chainring, already had the crank
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Update on my Crux headset, Specialized is sending new headsets for my rig and my buddies S-Works version. I think we’re not the only ones if they are sending out new components.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Ibis got rid of one of the coolest head badges in favor of a lame printed logo. That's dumb. I suspect they're positioning for a private equity $ellout. Love my Ripley, awesome bikes, change is suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    My stupid Industry 9 hubs have play in them again. Rebuilding once a year is kind of a lot for a guy who doesn't wash his bike much, or ride in the rain. The sealing on them is a total joke.
    Hope is the friend of bike neglectors.

I use Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Ibis got rid of one of the coolest head badges in favor of a lame printed logo. That's dumb. I suspect they're positioning for a private equity $ellout. Love my Ripley, awesome bikes, change is suspicious.
    This^
    And the new font is so bland it's less than a table water cracker.

Specialized and their undersized, double-blind frame bearings that are located by a mind boggling array of washers, spacers and dust shields. I could rebuild 7 Santa Cruz rear ends in the time it takes to pull all 14!? bearings from a 2017 Enduro. I know, fuck Specialized, but this shit takes it to a whole new level! 14 fucking bearings!

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    Specialized and their undersized, double-blind frame bearings that are located by a mind boggling array of washers, spacers and dust shields. I could rebuild 7 Santa Cruz rear ends in the time it takes to pull all 14!? bearings from a 2017 Enduro. I know, fuck Specialized, but this shit takes it to a whole new level! 14 fucking bearings!
    Man, I actually loved that aspect of my enduro. All those extra seals work. The bearings in that bike lasted way, way longer than any other bike I've owned in the last decade.

Ibis always had cool little details. Remember the old "hand job" cable hanger for canti brakes?

It's a shame their head badges are going away.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Man, I actually loved that aspect of my enduro. All those extra seals work. The bearings in that bike lasted way, way longer than any other bike I've owned in the last decade.
    I used to feel the same and agree that Specialized does a better job than many. My Santa Cruz just makes all that stuff seem silly. Bearings are bigger, greasable in high load areas, easy to service/replace, located in links that are easy to pull out of the frame and work on and replacements are free.

Ibis got rid of one of the coolest head badges in favor of a lame printed logo. That's dumb.
    Yup.

Rant: just wrestled a new Aggressor with DD casing onto rear wheel. Pinged into place with first load of air, to my great satisfaction. Then I rolled it in an 8 to get the Stan's around, and one of my tire levers had hidden itself inside. So then second wrestle-fest to remove tire ensued. Luckily husband provided beverage and some elbow grease to help the process.

Hopefully I won't make that mistake again. Ha! Any of you guys ever do that one?

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

Hey, that is actually some really innovative tool storage!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The ibis logo change really bums me out. I had an old ibis years ago and loved the brass head badge, it was such an elegant bike. As far as I know they have had the same management for decades so it’s surprising to see this weird rebrand.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Rant: just wrestled a new Aggressor with DD casing onto rear wheel. Pinged into place with first load of air, to my great satisfaction. Then I rolled it in an 8 to get the Stan's around, and one of my tire levers had hidden itself inside. So then second wrestle-fest to remove tire ensued. Luckily husband provided beverage and some elbow grease to help the process.

Hopefully I won't make that mistake again. Ha! Any of you guys ever do that one?
    Tire lever inside the tire is an impressive one! I'd have finished the 6 pack and moved on for the day...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

That's great HMS! I was helping a friend wrench on her bike and she mounted her tire backwards, realized and pulled it back off rotated the tire and wheel around and remounted it backwards again.

I guess more accurately I wasn't much of a help with her bike wrenching.

Many bike shops in SLC are open 10-6 and closed on Sundays. It’s like they don’t want to make money. Or don’t realize that people who can buy $5k bikes have jobs. Stay open until 7 so people can make it in after work. And not opening on a Sunday is ridiculous, everyone wants to go for a ride and then drop their bike off to be worked on during the week.

I hear you on the shop hours and Sunday closures. Definitely more of a Utah thing. Sports Den will be open Sundays when their winter hours start, so there’s that I guess.

Around here hours are short and closed Sunday because they're short handed, as is virtually every other business in the valley. And many of the people buying $5k bikes don't seem to have jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The ibis logo change really bums me out. I had an old ibis years ago and loved the brass head badge, it was such an elegant bike. As far as I know they have had the same management for decades so it’s surprising to see this weird rebrand.
    They had to cut costs in order to maximize profits on their upcoming e-bike launch.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk
    That's hilarious, I may have had to walk away from that for a while.

My rant?
    MTBers constantly choosing fashion over form, aka, fads.
    It started with pro DHers who (documeneted by Farentino in a Grimy Handshake piece) requested a rule against spandex because they didn't want to wear it but didn't want to get beat by someone who would choose the racing benefits over the social horror.
    There are a few fads I'm currently annoyed with. The first two are mild;

- Not wearing gloves; apparently, that whole "connection to the bars" thing is overrated. Besides, who sweats while riding?

-Riding in jeans. Too stupid for discussion. Again, who sweats while riding?

-My third and primary one is platform pedals. This fad is so big now, even long time riders, who should know better because they're well aware of the advantages of clipless, are even falling for it.
    I've heard every excuse:
    "It helps with extremely technical terrain" (No, it doesn't. It helps you to FALL in extremely technical terrain).
    "It makes me a better rider to not rely on being clipped in." That one is my favorite and it's the one most often repeated by advanced riders going full-platform.
    That's like saying learning how to drive a manual transmission makes you a better driver. Not if you drive an automatic. It's simply a different, unnecessary, skill-set (not a bad thing) but it doesn't add anything to your automatic transmission driving.
    It's like saying, learning how to develop film makes you a better photographer. Not if digital is better than film. (caveat to this last example; I know nothing about photography and this is based on my limited understanding that most pros have switched to digital).

Having a real connection to the bike is essential to handling, especially in technical terrain. That's why platform riding requires that whole "front heel down, rear heel up" thing. It's an attempt to mimic clipless riding. Also important is getting the right foot placement on the pedal. With platforms no two pedal placements are the same. You know it. With clipless, dial the placement in and forget about it-it's now perfect every time.
    I won't even get into the pedaling efficiency discussion as it's just too obvious.

A friend put it best, "Platforms are better if I fall. Clipless helps me to not fall".

Platform pedals are better than clipless in one, and only one, situation. It helps when you fall or dab. That's why they've always been in the beginner domain. Beginners have always started on platforms and graduated to clipless as their skills and confidence progressed.

They sure do look cool, though ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    My rant?
    MTBers constantly choosing fashion over form, aka, fads.
    l:...
    My man. Preach!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Many bike shops in SLC are open 10-6 and closed on Sundays. It’s like they don’t want to make money. Or don’t realize that people who can buy $5k bikes have jobs. Stay open until 7 so people can make it in after work. And not opening on a Sunday is ridiculous, everyone wants to go for a ride and then drop their bike off to be worked on during the week.
    Yeah, I don't really get it either, especially in a tourist heavy place and with shops that rent bikes (and skis/nordic stuff in the winter). You can't rent or return on a Sunday? Can't pick up a set of brake pads if you are heading up to the bike park and realize yours are cooked?

And what--that means you all get the day off on Sunday when the trails and ski hills are busy? Why not do the restaurant thing and be closed Monday (and maybe Tuesday)

I'm sure there's something we're missing given that it is a common phenomena. Maybe there really isn't that much Sunday business? If the owners have kids, better to be in sync with school schedules--or the devout want to go to church--but they can't find some of their 23 year old workers to open the place up Sunday morning in exchange for extra midweek days off?

^^^ Quality rant.

Flats don't agree with me, but I don't care if someone wants to ride in skate shoes. Main advantage I see is flats riders can walk around in comfy sneakers.

More idiotic trends are the fanny pack, taping tubes and shit to a bike frame, socks up to your knees, and (I think I ranted on this awhile back) goggles on trail rides. Pretty much the whole enduro bro package.

And tailgate pads. Good way to scratch your bike and your truck, at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.