Page 193 of 246 FirstFirst ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 6149
    my bike is so creaky lately. when i get above 300 watts it is relentless. not sure if the xtr cassette is the source but i have pretty much chased every other possibility to no avail.

the real kick in the pants is that yesterday someone thought i was on an e-bike due to the constant sound. i guess stumpy evos are a little portly down low.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Hows about, if its a hiker built trail then hikers have the ROW. If its a MTB built trail, MTB has the right of way. If you dont know who built the trail, give way to the other user. Seems simple to me.
    I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    my bike is so creaky lately. when i get above 300 watts it is relentless. not sure if the xtr cassette is the source but i have pretty much chased every other possibility to no avail.

the real kick in the pants is that yesterday someone thought i was on an e-bike due to the constant sound. i guess stumpy evos are a little portly down low.
    Do you have the impossibly thin clear spacer that goes between the cassette an freehub body?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Do you have the impossibly thin clear spacer that goes between the cassette an freehub body?
    Yep, my XTR cassette was creaking and that was the issue. Bike was manufactured after that spacer was added (I believe it wasn’t there during the initial XTR release?). Not sure if I lost it, the original owner lost it, or if it was never there to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Everyone else I've ridden with slows down while the hiker moves over and then slowly proceeds
    That's not a failure to yield.

By slowing down as you approach a hiker you give them plenty time to see you and react. If they step off the trail and let you pass, that's their own decision. The point is you're giving them time and not forcing them to do that, and if they don't step off trail you have slowed down enough that you can easily stop and let them go past you.

Ever built a trail on FS land that some nozzle sprayed about on Trailforks so they use tax payer money to decommision it?

Ever have Enduro Ebikers roost up the traditional downhills signed no mopeds?

Ever have the stroller moms and puppy draggers be obliviously stopped in the flow trail doing that annoying up talk thing?

Ever have someone sitting down and smoking a bowl on the rock jump you want to boost?

You can't talk to the manager about everything! Somebody doesn't need to do something just to make your life better.

Smile, pull a wheelie and just take satisfaction that you are better than them.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

What's with the "get off the bike" part of yielding? That's psychotic. But, so is arguing that bikers should have the right of way by default.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    What's with the "get off the bike" part of yielding? That's psychotic. But, so is arguing that bikers should have the right of way by default.
    No one said dismount, just get off the trail and wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Yep, my XTR cassette was creaking and that was the issue. Bike was manufactured after that spacer was added (I believe it wasn’t there during the initial XTR release?). Not sure if I lost it, the original owner lost it, or if it was never there to begin with.
    A good slathering of grease will work as well, but the creak will come back.

I hate on the strava people as much as the next guy, but something must have changed either in the Wahoo software or my Strava account because a few weeks ago the bike computer beeped at me and told me I was starting a "Live Segment" complete with some sort of display showing how I compared to my fastest time.

Well--today I looked at my Strava and apparently that Live Segment thing worked! It is usually an 11+ minute ride at my normal pace and did it in 10:05, beating my PR by 30 seconds. Rolling section of mellow XC trail, net elevation gain but a bit of smooth downhill flow too.

And I set that with an out-of-shape early season ride while way overbiked (Ripmo with Fox 38 and float X2, Assegai front/back, on a trail that I've even ridden on my gravel bike with only moderate discomfort).

So kinda cool that having that little number to "chase" got me to push so much harder and set a new PR despite it being one of my first rides of the year. Just made me actually work on the climbs rather than sit back and spin (and lay off the brakes on the downs). Nowhere near the KOM times, but a big improvement.

But I rode it again last night and I kinda hated it. When I ride this trail it is usually because I want something like a quick leisurely after-work ride...I don't actually want to sprint up the hills chasing a little ghost timer.

Live Segments have been around for years now. You can turn them off on the Strava app
    crab in my shoe mouth

no i do not and god dammit sometimes bike shit is the worst. is it this thing? i can't find a clear spacer or any info on this magic fix.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/3037792871?iid=175516475514
    bumps are for poor people

Yes, it’s that thing. But try a decently thick grease on that interface first.

no i do not and god dammit sometimes bike shit is the worst. is it this thing? i can't find a clear spacer or any info on this magic fix.
    I think I made one with an exacto knife and a milk carton once. It doesn't need to be absolutely perfect. You just need a little piece of plastic between the inboard side of the cassette and the freehub body to keep it from creaking.

You ever run across hikers who tell you that bikes arent allowed on the trail you built?

I have lol.
    Ha! Nope.

I have one local guy bitch to me about building new on ConCom land...and it wasn't on ConCom land! And the only time is see this clown is riding out on the exact trails he bitched to me about building. He's the reason I had to go private on my strava account. He's a well known kook locally, so whatever. They're everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think I made one with an exacto knife and a milk carton once. It doesn't need to be absolutely perfect. You just need a little piece of plastic between the inboard side of the cassette and the freehub body to keep it from creaking.
    I think I may have put a piece of helicopter tape back there, but not sure. Whatever I did, it worked!

You ever run across hikers who tell you that bikes arent allowed on the trail you built?

I have lol.
    I've had a guy warn me that a trail I helped build was going to be too gnarly for me to ride on my hardtail when he saw me at the top with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've had a guy warn me that a trail I helped build was going to be too gnarly for me to ride on my hardtail when he saw me at the top with it.
    Was he right?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I mean... I've helped build a trail that has *always* been too gnarly for me to ride - on a full suspension.

Blackjack?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Was he right?
    I gave him at least 30 seconds and then caught him. He was on... an Evil Wreckoning, if I remember right.

Blackjack?
    <ding> <ding> <ding>

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I mean... I've helped build a trail that has *always* been too gnarly for me to ride - on a full suspension.

I broke my shoulder sending a rock garden that I spent an entire day building by hauling boulders one at a time up a muddy hill.
    Last edited by Abies; 06-05-2023 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

Also check which gears it's creaking in. Even ones that come with the spacer sometimes still do it in the larger 3 black cogs like mine did, which I remedy by taking the cassette off every couple weeks and tri-flowing all the connecting pins. Shimano did send me another cassette under warranty but didn't ask for the old one back so I'm just keeping it for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Live Segments have been around for years now. You can turn them off on the Strava app
    Ah, I think the missing detail is that they only show up (at least on the Wahoo Bolt) if you are a paid subscriber and it is an "uphill" segment that you have starred in the app.

I paid for a year subscription prior to an event last fall and I have few starred segments, most of which are downhill (since I mostly used the stars as "trails I want to ride/ride again") so that must have been the first time I actually rode a qualifying segment.

Will probably be turning it off--don't need that kind of pressure to force me to work harder. Especially on a bi-directional multi use trail where coming across a single hiker would blow my "attempt" ...I'd rather just enjoy the ride.