Page 85 of 247 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 6171
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    It's not like those trail agencies need to be worried about social distancing while working and or maintaining single track or fixing ruts
    Yeah! It's probably not affecting them at all!

GET TO WORK, SLACKERS!!

Local trail agencies sitting on their hands while they have all sorts of resources out there to fix trails and keep them maintained for an increasing number of trail users.

It seems to me like the two trail management agencies in Boise have a tough time working together. (i.e. a trail machine that just sits in a shed an only occasionally gets used for minor projects, SWIMBA). Minimal trail volunteer work days, usually scheduled on a weekday in the middle of the day. Not open to have volunteers get trained for trail maintenance on their own recognizance, etc. Poor sight lines that would only take a minor amount of brush cutting/weed wacking to take care of and giant ruts that could easily be fixed by a handful of trail volunteers grabbing a McCleod or Pulaski stashed away at some predetermined location. I see other areas putting all sorts of effort into trail maintenance days and new trail builds, WTF, Ridge to Rivers and SWIMBA?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems particularly bad this year.
    Sounds like one of our local state parks. We had a new trail build that was all approved on paper. Finally got the go ahead to build it. The state park had a sweco machine but it was "unavailable" and could only be operated by park staff, so we had to build the trail by hand. Hand building was brutal because the route was peppered with dwarf oak root balls that would take a couple hours each to excavate so you could access and cut the burly tap roots below. You could easily go around them but we weren't allowed to deviate from the flagged line, at all. In a 4 hr session you might be able to dig 2 of those root balls out, if things went well. So we spent 2 years working on this trail. Finally they got the machine in and it was able to pop those root balls out no problem. Things were looking good. In addition to the new trail, during a park master plan update we convinced State parks to move back some state wilderness boundaries that would eventually allow bikes onto some trails that would improve connectivity in the park. Fast forward a couple years and a new park superintendent arrived. He has now shut down all volunteer groups in the park. And not only have those trails never been opened to bikes, he has closed some trails to MTB. Thumbs down. Hopefully he is gone soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It seems there is zero appetite to build anything that may appeal to anyone that has ridden more than a few years. And even worse than that is the trend to 'fix' long standing trails and turn them into smooth, gradeless trails and replace what used to be decent old school style trails.
    At least the FS has, for now, failed to follow through on their plan to re-do Northern Skyline.

Berms in the mountains. The sign of the True Douche Build. TBD also includes biceps

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Berms in the mountains. The sign of the True Douche Build. TBD also includes biceps
    Why? Berms are a good way to make corners that are somewhat sustainable trail design. Motos make berms all the time on trails in the mountains. You must not live in the mountains.

Local trail agencies sitting on their hands while they have all sorts of resources out there to fix trails and keep them maintained for an increasing number of trail users.
    Trail agencies with plenty of resources isn't a situation I've seen in a long time.

We do seem to be in the same boat of building flattish smooth trails while neglecting trail maintenance. At least Partly it's a matter of funding, grants available for shiny new but not for upkeep.

Why? Berms are a good way to make corners that are somewhat sustainable trail design. Motos make berms all the time on trails in the mountains. You must not live in the mountains.
    I do and I do Moto in the mountains as well. I haven't run into any berms in the ID/MT BC, thank frikkin dog! They collect water and increase the Reynolds number. Berms are for tracks, not singletrack. Tracks like moto, bmx, flow lines on ski hills for the kiddos and whatnot. Mountain biking is *still* different from track biking. Berms in the mountains are akin to chipping routes, IMHO. Berm away on the track in the park, just as you would place holds wherever you want them in the gym. The mountains are different.

The dirt sidewalks don’t last very long. Between the drought/crazy thunderstorm cycles and mud season, fresh dirt that isn’t held in place doesn’t stick around. It recedes and after a couple years you get down to the next layer of roots and rocks.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

WTF Trailforks? You can't get the donate banner off the screen without giving them $$. There isn't a trail org around that I'd give money to right now especially considering my income is down 90% over the last 4 months. With that dumbass banner you can't really see the map right. Fuckin pain in the ass.

yeah, what a bunch of assholes providing a free app and encouraging users to support clubs and associations

The summer stench. The constant sweat permeates everything and makes it stink. Grips, saddle, gloves, socks, helmet liner. The washer seems to do okay with the shirt and shorts, but the other stuff just slowly gets worse until I have to soak it in vinegar and soap and hand wash the gunk out.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Road a friend's SB130 this weekend for a 37 mile ride in Monarch. Awesome trail. I was thoroughly impressed with how well the bike climbed (coming off a SB5.5) - but holy pedal-strike. I do not understand the trend to have these super low BB heights, especially combined with 175mm cranks. From an engineering perspective, that 8mm extra lower CG really isn't going to alter that much, but certainly seems to contribute to hitting more rocks. I can understand lower for smooth flowy trails, but considering how rocky it is in CO and Yeti is based out of here it surprises me. Course I still need to improve my rock-avoidance technique so maybe I'm just a basher. Planning on forking my ripmo up to 170mm + short cranks, will hopefully be better

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Road a friend's SB130 this weekend for a 37 mile ride in Monarch. Awesome trail. I was thoroughly impressed with how well the bike climbed (coming off a SB5.5) - but holy pedal-strike. I do not understand the trend to have these super low BB heights, especially combined with 175mm cranks. From an engineering perspective, that 8mm extra lower CG really isn't going to alter that much, but certainly seems to contribute to hitting more rocks. I can understand lower for smooth flowy trails, but considering how rocky it is in CO and Yeti is based out of here it surprises me. Course I still need to improve my rock-avoidance technique so maybe I'm just a basher. Planning on forking my ripmo up to 170mm + short cranks, will hopefully be better
    My 2017 XL Rocky Mountain Slayer came stock with 170mm cranks. Also, were you hitting pedals when climbing or descending?

Are they really any bikes being sold with 175’s anymore? (2020)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I can understand lower for smooth flowy trails, but considering how rocky it is in CO and Yeti is based out of here it surprises me.
    We really should just remove all the rocks from every trail. Nevermind no pedal strikes, just think how much faster everyone's strava times would be!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    yeah, what a bunch of assholes providing a free app and encouraging users to support clubs and associations
    They can ask for money for the app, I'm good with that but making it a forced donation to organizations that don't support and aren't willing to work for things I believe in is no good. Do you donate to groups that aren't working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    WTF Trailforks? You can't get the donate banner off the screen without giving them $$. There isn't a trail org around that I'd give money to right now especially considering my income is down 90% over the last 4 months. With that dumbass banner you can't really see the map right. Fuckin pain in the ass.
    Can you just donate change for a nickel?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

When you go to the local shop to make an appointment almost a month out for a hub service... you explain that they’ll need 2 separate DT Swiss tools (one for a 370, one for a 350/240) to do the service and they talk down to you.. yeah, we got that... like why wouldn’t we. Drop the bike off last night, mention it again... then get the call at 4:45 the next day... hey, we don’t have that tool...

Anyone have the DT Swiss 370 tool?

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Are they really any bikes being sold with 175’s anymore? (2020)
    Sure, lots of size large bikes and most XL’s come equipped with 175mm cranks.

I guess I only shop for midget bikes (medium and small).
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    When you go to the local shop to make an appointment almost a month out for a hub service... you explain that they’ll need 2 separate DT Swiss tools (one for a 370, one for a 350/240) to do the service and they talk down to you.. yeah, we got that... like why wouldn’t we. Drop the bike off last night, mention it again... then get the call at 4:45 the next day... hey, we don’t have that tool..
    Dropped my bike off maybe 18mos ago at the LBS to get the DVO fork serviced. Asked ahead if they are able to work on DVO - sure, bring it in! Get a call after they had torn into it saying hey, we don't have an account with DVO. Can you go online and order the seal kit for this fork. Are you fucking kidding me??? OK, screw it, order the seals for them, ship them to the shop. Day they arrive I get an other call. Part x is toast, can you go an order that as well? Fuck you!!!! Needless to say I don't take the DVO there anymore.

UPS customs clearance charges.
    Highway robbery.
    Never use UPS if you can avoid it.

When you go to the local shop to make an appointment almost a month out for a hub service... you explain that they’ll need 2 separate DT Swiss tools (one for a 370, one for a 350/240) to do the service and they talk down to you.. yeah, we got that... like why wouldn’t we. Drop the bike off last night, mention it again... then get the call at 4:45 the next day... hey, we don’t have that tool...

The one tool most shops, especially my local, have in abundance are "Tool Boxes".
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Garbage can

Is that on a SC wheelset?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    They can ask for money for the app, I'm good with that but making it a forced donation to organizations that don't support and aren't willing to work for things I believe in is no good. Do you donate to groups that aren't working for you?
    do they have a gun to your head? no one's forcing you to do anything.