Page 154 of 163 FirstFirst ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 4074
  1. #3826
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    33,091
    36-40” seems to be a good width if ATV poaching is a problem, otherwise, open that up, unless you are in New England, of course!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  2. #3827
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    8,177

    Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

    Meanwhile, what's the obsession with sunglass holders on helmets? I've never thought about this and I likely never will after this post. Is it part of the whole, "I'd rather make my life 100x more complicated to avoid wearing the dreaded pack" culture? If the sun is bad, put your shades on. If they get all sweaty and fog up, stick them in your pack and buy different pair of shades on your way home. I want a comfortable helmet way more than I want a well accessorized helmet.
    obsession is probably a bit strong wording choice.
    more just discussing gear and their respective attributes.
    but don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.
    It actually makes things far less complicated for me(even when wearing a pack.)
    skid luxury

  3. #3828
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,907
    I got that new lazer jackal kineticore. pretty similar fit and feel to my lazer impala, but hey it holds sunglesses securely in the back. And has a less ridiculously huge visor, and a magnetic buckle, and it's lighter.

  4. #3829
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livingston, MT
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    36-40” seems to be a good width if ATV poaching is a problem, otherwise, open that up, unless you are in New England, of course!
    I tried to take a pic of some of the offending logs, but my phone was soaked, so no pics. It’s exactly as Toast said, these were de-brainers hanging out, pedal hitters, and just plain sketchy. Every trail the recent 100 mile running race hit in the Crazy’s is now like this if these folks cut it. It all has to be cut again. I already have to jobs, I don’t need extra volunteer trail work cleaning up this shit. Ok, /rant


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #3830
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,260

    Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I got that new lazer jackal kineticore. pretty similar fit and feel to my lazer impala, but hey it holds sunglesses securely in the back. And has a less ridiculously huge visor, and a magnetic buckle, and it's lighter.
    Nice, was really tempted by one, but couldn’t find the new kineticore to try on. Any chance you could take a pic of how sunglasses are stowed?

    And while that’s a good rant, packs are ridiculously stupid and I only wear one if I’m doing trail maintenance. Would never ride if unless absolutely necessary.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #3831
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Bike thieves. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Personal tragedy?
    Yes, I'm in NYC for 53 days of work, and my Single Speed Road bike I specifically built and left here in NYC was stolen.
    It was locked in a secure building with $500,000+ worth of technical electronic equipment, including many, many boxed 55" top of the line TVs.
    And the fuckers took my bike. Along with all of my (re: company owned) tools.
    Everything I need to do my job, and tp blow off some steam after work is gone.
    No forced entry, no alarm trips, most likely someone who has access to the space.
    Our asset protection team wasn't so responsive, until I produced a replacement cost of 5 digits to replace all of our tools.

  7. #3832
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    33,091
    Oof. That is some suckage.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  8. #3833
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,907
    Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Nice, was really tempted by one, but couldn’t find the new kineticore to try on. Any chance you could take a pic of how sunglasses are stowed
    They go in the two lower rear vents, then kind of get wedged between the helmet and your head, in there pretty solid with the helmet on.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220807_094107984_HDR.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	423288

  9. #3834
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I literally do not understand. If my tape is a bit narrow, I shift it to the left for one wrap and then shift it to the right for a second wrap. If I'm feeling extra paranoid and tape happy, I'll do a third wrap down the middle. It's not rocket medicine.
    That method is fine but I ran out of tape before I could do 2 wraps...

  10. #3835
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,260

    Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

    [QUOTE=jamal;6665475]They go in the two lower rear vents, then kind of get wedged between the helmet and your head, in there pretty solid with the helmet on.

    Thanks Jamal! Easy on off while racing or do you use roadie helmet for XC?

    Rode this am on a very muggy summer day, Spec Tactic worked pretty well and ended up bailing on glasses for last 20 minutes of climbs and descents which stayed put in the glass holder…

    Glass storage worked well and helmet was comfy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #3836
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,907
    Yeah i got a poc ventral air this spring and was using that for racing. Then I wore it at a nica practice and took a dumb slow fall and dented it and had to get another one. Shimano helps out our jr dev team a bit and has sent some helmets, I got one of the leftover g1s over the winter but it's just a little too big and I never wear it. then we got a couple of the kineticores so yay another free helmet.

    Also sorry dee that fuckin sucks.

    I went on a big gravel ride today and just about everyone driving on the few sections of paved road I had to take was a huge fucking asshole. So many close passes, one dude slammed on the brakes like he was going to stop when i did the "what the fuck" arm throw. That would have been fun, always wanted to bearspray someone for being a dangerous asshole in a car.

  12. #3837
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    14,008
    Prime example of poorly cleared deadfall, pain in the ass to get through in either direction. Obviously a hiker as an MTB rider would have made the cut a foot to the right.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220807_183951.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	423336
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  13. #3838
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Ok, bear with me here…people who half ass trail clearing with a chain saw. You’re allowed to half ass with a folding saw cause...
    That gets me too. The local trail chapter has been doing a poor job of this lately. I almost posted about it a while ago too.

    On another note, the backroads out of town have been taken over by tourists et al. on e bikes. As a driver what used to be nice detours away from traffic has become about 10-15 miles of passing groups of riders without any cycling etiquette. Elitist, yes. But sharing the road with squirrely tourons and 2nd homeowners got old real fast.

  14. #3839
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Prime example of poorly cleared deadfall, pain in the ass to get through in either direction. Obviously a hiker as an MTB rider would have made the cut a foot to the right.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220807_183951.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	423336
    We were just talking about the local groups' cutting today...not much better. I come from an industry working with sawyers and they would NEVER leave (they're not allowed) the kind of stuff that the local MTB groups do. All too often I see cut pieces not fully off trail, pokers and spears left and if cut not cut flush. I move what I can and can't harp on them too much as its mostly volunteer but at least the one group where our DH shuttling is done finally received some formal saw training in the last few years.

  15. #3840
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,662
    If your going to group ride, don’t go side by side 3-5 across and ten miles under the speed limit. Got behind two groups doing this last night. Hadn’t seen that shit since I left our home on the plains by Boulder. Just show everyone some etiquette.

  16. #3841
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,907
    On the other hand, a shorter and wider group should be easier to pass. Think 10 people in the lane that are 3-4 bikes long vs 10 people all in a line where there's no shoulder and you have to cross the yellow line to go by safely. Main issue I generally see is drivers being impatient and dangerous assholes.

    You sit behind other cars all day but then some people just fly into an impotent rage the second they have to slow down for a person on a bike. I've had so many deliberately close passes when there's a whole wide open lane right over there that I have no sympathy for a driver who thinks bikes are "taking up too much of the road."

    I guess joke's on me. I keep riding on the road, and keep saying I'm going to get some cameras and still haven't.
    Last edited by jamal; 08-10-2022 at 11:18 PM.

  17. #3842
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    33,091
    Goddamn straight pull spokes, combined with deep rims=many tools to do a simple job. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220808_194756248.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	423529
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  18. #3843
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,662

    Self reflection

    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    On the other hand, a shorter and wider group should be easier to pass. Think 10 people in the lane that are 3-4 bikes long vs 10 people all in a line where there's no shoulder and you have to cross the yellow line to go by safely. Main issue I generally see is drivers being impatient and dangerous assholes.

    You sit behind other cars all day but then some people just fly into an impotent rage the second they have to slow down for a person on a bike. I've had so many deliberately close passes when there's a whole wide open lane right over there that I have no sympathy for a driver who thinks bikes are "taking up too much of the road."

    I guess joke's on me. I keep riding on the road, and keep saying I'm going to get some cameras and still haven't.
    As a slow guy who slogs out alot of miles, if your pissing off that many people, you might reflect on my original point. The exception to this would be if you are in California or Florida. I’ve slow pedaled a few centuries in national parks lately, and people from Florida and California stand out for not moving over one inch for bikes.

    Hope your safe.

  19. #3844
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    1,597
    Sold a shock on pinkbike. Buyer didn't want the springs I had for it so we negotiated a discounted price without. Sent him the shock, and got a message saying that we'd agreed on including the springs and demanding that I send them his way. I've got screenshots of our conversation that prove him clearly in the wrong, but I don't want to deal with this shit, especially if he escalates it with PayPal (which he hasn't, at least so far). People suck.

  20. #3845
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,961
    Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Sold a shock on pinkbike. Buyer didn't want the springs I had for it so we negotiated a discounted price without. Sent him the shock, and got a message saying that we'd agreed on including the springs and demanding that I send them his way. I've got screenshots of our conversation that prove him clearly in the wrong, but I don't want to deal with this shit, especially if he escalates it with PayPal (which he hasn't, at least so far). People suck.
    thanks for reminding me why I only buy/sell in person

  21. #3846
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    33,091
    Had to share…

    So, last evening’s ride was spicy. I was road riding (trespassing) on a stupid fancy private road here in town tonight. It has an 1100ft climb, with amazing pavement, perfect switchbacks, and no traffic. However, it is a poach. I had never been hassled there, but friends have. Anyhoo, at the very top, the road continues after a chained off barrier. There is a property up there that recently sold for many millions for just raw dirt. Anyhoo, the road climbs a few hundred feet, then goes around the top of the Butte and out of sight…but only for a short way. So, I am above the chain section, and I look back, and I see a local rent-a-cop Jeep with his very intimidating lights on, going through the gate.
    just so happens at the top there is very tall sage. I found the deepest patch, waited for him to drive by….and then got on my bike, and went hell bound for leather back down the road, around the chain, and all the way back down into town. I knew he would never catch me, but I think I got a top five or ten Strava time (I previously had the 10 trophy).
    Anyway, it was epic fun, feeling like a hoodlum with an AARP card…
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  22. #3847
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    6,297
    I'm like 50/50 for selling on PB. Sold two bikes there and it was sort of ok but definitely stressful. The first was for $2400 for a high miles bike that had been raced often and hard, with full disclosure and a ton of pics, and proper maintenance and new wear items. Went ok except for the guy really persistently trying to lowball my price for this or that till I had told him repeatedly that was as low as I'd go and if he didnt want it then he should move on. He never hit me up after so I count it as a win.

    The other bike was pretty high end and VERY clean with only 150 miles on the frame and a full brand new build for $5500 and the buyer had red flags like different, unconfirmed shipping address because he lives in Colombia, and didn't want to use Goods and Services. He did have an extensive buying history on PB though and I vetted him via some of the other sellers including a Mag, and his social media. He agreed to do G&S and split the fees and it all worked out but it was very stressful.

    The other two high end bikes I've sold lately went to people I knew at least in my extended circle. I'll prolly do The Pro's Closet in the future to eliminate the hassle and stress.

    Also incidentally, I've learned that Paypal Goods and Services really only ever sides with buyers so only protects them, not sellers. I've heard of sellers getting screwed that way.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  23. #3848
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,942
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    ...red flags...didn't want to use Goods and Services...

    Also incidentally, I've learned that Paypal Goods and Services really only ever sides with buyers so only protects them, not sellers. I've heard of sellers getting screwed that way.
    A buyer that's willing to use F&F instead of G&S is doing you a HUGE favor. They have ZERO recourse when using F&F. Transfer the money to your bank account, ship the item, and you're golden.

  24. #3849
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    6,297
    Yeah, now I know...
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  25. #3850
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Had to share…

    So, last evening’s ride was spicy. I was road riding (trespassing) on a stupid fancy private road here in town tonight. It has an 1100ft climb, with amazing pavement, perfect switchbacks, and no traffic. However, it is a poach. I had never been hassled there, but friends have. Anyhoo, at the very top, the road continues after a chained off barrier. There is a property up there that recently sold for many millions for just raw dirt. Anyhoo, the road climbs a few hundred feet, then goes around the top of the Butte and out of sight…but only for a short way. So, I am above the chain section, and I look back, and I see a local rent-a-cop Jeep with his very intimidating lights on, going through the gate.
    just so happens at the top there is very tall sage. I found the deepest patch, waited for him to drive by….and then got on my bike, and went hell bound for leather back down the road, around the chain, and all the way back down into town. I knew he would never catch me, but I think I got a top five or ten Strava time (I previously had the 10 trophy).
    Anyway, it was epic fun, feeling like a hoodlum with an AARP card…
    Was riding w Bagtagley in VA last summer and he referred to this kind of thing as “light trespassing”

    Friend of mine was chased down by a few guys in a beat up golf cart on a gravel road a while back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •