Page 165 of 241 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 6005
    One thing I'll say, it's damn easy to pick out riders who started out using clips (see middle aged dentist who took up mtb as an adult). Most have mediocre bike skillz.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I like flats for skinnies and dirt jumping. I also tend to favor them for lift assisted, but comfort is a big part of that. Agree on clipless for lots of climbing. I can get used to climbing in flats but going back to clipless after a long stint is revelatory.
    I should try going back to clipless. Rode them from 1995-ish until 2016(?) and switched to flats. Clipless shoes just collecting dust in the garage since then...

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    One thing I'll say, it's damn easy to pick out riders who started out using clips (see middle aged dentist who took up mtb as an adult). Most have mediocre bike skillz.
    Hey punk, I took up mtn biking as an adult because that's when it was invented! Now get off my lawn!

...well, are you an actual adult at 19?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    it's like riding a bike a man and that's just fun.
    Do you use flats or clips when you’re riding a man?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    FFS with the projecting. Ride your own ride and bitch about the stuff that directly affects you. Like BB standards.
    Amen, brother. Maggots complaining about beginner riders on trails? Guess what, you were a beginner once too. Get over yourself. Instead of bagging on people who aren't as rad as you, people who don't dress as well as you, or people who ride (gasp!) ebikes, maybe we should stick together and FIGHT FOR TRAIL ACCESS ,instead of always losing to the Sierra Club, HOHAs, and rich equestrians because we're too busy bickering amongst ourselves and the "advocacy" organizations compromise away our position before we even start.

http://www.gnolls.org/123/mountain-biking-in-jeans/

Now let's make fun of someone that deserves it: Shimano, for refusing to adopt any standard they didn't come up with themselves, even when their own version is objectively far worse. Thus, we get 15 different incompatible BB and crank interfaces, we get tapered steerers instead of straight 1.5, we get 15mm instead of 20mm axles (20mm adds so much more torsional stiffness than 15mm), we get incompatible hub bodies again after so many years of everyone agreeing on splines, ...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I equate it to shredding on tele/freeheel skis, sure, some people rip, and it takes a lifetime to master. I personally flail around.
    Whoa, dude, can we leave the tele tumblers out of it, man. That's a rabbit hole for a whole other thread.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Spats, most of that shit was from frame and fork manufacturers. Not sure about freehub bodies…
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Creaky CSUs on “enduro” forks. Bring back freeride and give me a modern 160-170 dual crown with 35 mm stantions that weighs less than the current crop of creaky 38 mm single crowns. Recycling large chunks of precision-machined metal on an annual basis is stupid. Somebody stop the madness!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Do you use flats or clips when you’re riding a man?
    Ha! Proof reading is not my strong suit.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I should try going back to clipless. Rode them from 1995-ish until 2016(?) and switched to flats. Clipless shoes just collecting dust in the garage since then...
    Damn, this is me to a t...

That it's somehow already October 5 and riding season will be over way too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Spats, most of that shit was from frame and fork manufacturers. Not sure about freehub bodies…
    My impression from back in the day was that 15mm came about because Shimano didn't want to make 20mm hubs, because they didn't invent the idea. I still have a 100mm Manitou XC fork from the pre-15mm days that's insanely stiff, even with skinny 32mm stanchions...because it has 20mm TA lowers. (That option disappeared quickly.)

You're probably right on forks, though...Shimano doesn't really do stems or headsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That it's somehow already October 5 and riding season will be over way too soon.
    We are just starting prime riding season in the Southwest, you should come down and visit!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I drank the coolaid and "upgraded" to clipless soon after I started riding mid 90s since it seemed that's what you had to use to be a serious rider. Clipless was awesome in places that had steep techy granite climbs. You just couldn't power up stuff like that on flats like you can on clipless. But the more I got into steep janky descents, jumps and skinnies on the shore and Whistler the sketchier clipless got. Good luck getting clipped back in if you need to dab going down some nasty chute. Aside from singlespeed I've never gone back to clipless. I'd benefit a lot more by just getting in better shape than I'd gain in efficiency using clipless. Flats with trail runners have been the ticket for backcountry rides with lots of hike a bike.

Riding in Italy was amazing, but on rental bikes with tubes. Made it through thousands of feet of steep chunky rocks. Wife got a flat one day with hours of tech trail still to be ridden. I pulled out the trusty Tubolito. Decided to keep pressures reasonable so the ride would still be fun.
    Made it 100 meters before pinch flatting the Tubolito.
    Stuck in another Tubolito (only other spare) and added a ton of extra pressure and she bounced around like popcorn for the rest of the day.
    Tubolito Fail. Okay for tiptoeing out. Not good for enjoying the rest of your ride.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1665062176.109804.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	949.0 KB 
ID:	428900

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Riding in Italy was amazing, but on rental bikes with tubes. Made it through thousands of feet of steep chunky rocks. Wife got a flat one day with hours of tech trail still to be ridden. I pulled out the trusty Tubolito. Decided to keep pressures reasonable so the ride would still be fun.
    Made it 100 meters before pinch flatting the Tubolito.
    Stuck in another Tubolito (only other spare) and added a ton of extra pressure and she bounced around like popcorn for the rest of the day.
    Tubolito Fail. Okay for tiptoeing out. Not good for enjoying the rest of your ride.
    Do you have any Tubolito patches? I dont carry them for daily rides, but long trips I'll pack them.
    PM me if you want me to put a 4 pack of patches in the mail for you.

I had a squishy rear brake and did my usual bleed. The lever still feels squishy after and now the pads are suddenly contaminated. Me (being a dumbass) assumes I contaminated the pads by touching them with my mineral oily fingers. So I bleed it again and put a new set of pads. The brake still squishy and now I've managed to contaminate another set of (brand fucking new) pads.

I tuck my tail between my legs and bring it to the shop. Turns out the master cylinder is shot and 2 pistons are leaking. $210 for a whole new XT 4 piston rear brake plus whatever insane labor charge they'll get me for. Oh and now and I have zero sets of back up brake pads.

Goddamnit.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I had a squishy rear brake and did my usual bleed. The lever still feels squishy after and now the pads are suddenly contaminated. Me (being a dumbass) assumes I contaminated the pads by touching them with my mineral oily fingers. So I bleed it again and put a new set of pads. The brake still squishy and now I've managed to contaminate another set of (brand fucking new) pads.

I tuck my tail between my legs and bring it to the shop. Turns out the master cylinder is shot and 2 pistons are leaking. $210 for a whole new XT 4 piston rear brake plus whatever insane labor charge they'll get me for. Oh and now and I have zero sets of back up brake pads.

Goddamnit.
    Bummer. Been there, I stripped a bleed screw AND pushed the piston in wonky once so I destroyed both the lever and caliper in one go trying to fix the first mistake. Expensive oops suck.

At least you can save a few bucks on pads, Summit is blowing out MTX Red for Shimano- $23.

https://www.summitbicycles.com/produ...pads-57889.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    ...maybe we should stick together and FIGHT FOR TRAIL ACCESS ,instead of always losing to the Sierra Club, HOHAs, and rich equestrians because we're too busy bickering amongst ourselves and the "advocacy" organizations compromise away our position before we even start.
    This to a T. Myself and anyone who lives near the Boise foothills knows this is an uphill (no pun intended) battle. SWIMBA arguing with Ridge to Rivers, the FS and the BLM. Sure glad I didn't give SWIMBA much of my money for membership fees over all these years. Yes, I have a problem with SWIMBA.

Why do 200/203 one-piece rotors even exist? Any tiny amount of heat on them or even changing weather temps and you get the interminable “ting ting ting” every revolution. Truing them doesn’t help because they’ll just warp again with any temp differential.

Cant wait for my RT86 to ship from back order. Probably 2024 at this point though

I thought this was a conversation about 20mm increments in Rotors:
    140 mm
    160 mm
    180 mm
    200 mm
    203 (WTF?)
    220 mm
    223 mm (WTF? )
    246 mm (holy WTF?)

MTB “standards”

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I thought this was a conversation about 20mm increments in Rotors:
    140 mm
    160 mm
    180 mm
    200 mm
    203 (WTF?)
    220 mm
    223 mm (WTF? )
    246 mm (holy WTF?)

MTB “standards”
    I’d blame it on USA not going metric, but SRAM uses 200 and Shimano uses 203, so who the fuck knows?

Yeah, I 100% blame that one on shimano. Maybe 203 rotors pair better with 15mm axles. Twats.

Anyways, I don't have any real problem getting my 200's to not rub in codes. Maguras are a little more finicky, but that's mostly the caliper design, not the rotors.

Hunh, I wonder hy there were never 143, 163, and 183 rotors. I have an Avid 185, though.
    Last edited by rideit; 10-08-2022 at 12:01 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, I 100% blame that one on shimano. Maybe 203 rotors pair better with 15mm axles. Twats.

Anyways, I don't have any real problem getting my 200's to not rub in codes. Maguras are a little more finicky, but that's mostly the caliper design, not the rotors.
    I don't remember who started it, but Hayes, Shimano, Avid, and others were all doing 203s long before 15mm axles were a thing, and before Sram bought Avid and made 200mm rotors a thing. That was mayby the more sensible way to go, but it also probably didn't really matter in the days of IS frames and forks. And as we've found with PM and 220+ rotors, +20 adapters aren't that dialed with a non-radial brake mount standard.