Page 174 of 241 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 6002
    If ya’ll were rocking BB7s, that brake line would be a breeze to pull!!
    -this message brought you you by the people also still swearing by tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I’m going back to these. They have ‘soul’, bruh

Name:  AD10AABE-B1AE-458F-B8E4-9AEB142FCAE5.jpeg
Views: 713
Size:  32.6 KB
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Not a huge rant but definitely disappointed in the new SB120 from Yeti. I knew the price would be high but holy crap it's heavy for the category. Plus some questionable build choices, like a GX chain on the T3 build at $9600, just put on a friggin X01 chain at least!

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Not a huge rant but definitely disappointed in the new SB120 from Yeti. I knew the price would be high but holy crap it's heavy for the category. Plus some questionable build choices, like a GX chain on the T3 build at $9600, just put on a friggin X01 chain at least!
    People complaining about the GX chain need to shut up. It shows they just read pinkbike comments and have no ability to actually think about the likely reasoning and consequences of this decisions. First off, the primary driver of this was probably supply chain related. When the product manager was putting together this build kit 9 months ago, getting xo1 chains was a lot harder. Also anyone that buys an xo1 chain vs gx when given the option is an idiot. $30 to save 9 grams on a wear item? I can at least understand the decision to get xx1 chains because they have some bling color options.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    People complaining about the GX chain need to shut up. It shows they just read pinkbike comments and have no ability to actually think about the likely reasoning and consequences of this decisions. First off, the primary driver of this was probably supply chain related. When the product manager was putting together this build kit 9 months ago, getting xo1 chains was a lot harder. Also anyone that buys an xo1 chain vs gx when given the option is an idiot. $30 to save 9 grams on a wear item? I can at least understand the decision to get xx1 chains because they have some bling color options.
    Quoted for posterity.

So, how do you like your new $9600 Yeti?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    For a little under twice the price, an X01 chain lasts about three times as long as a GX chain. So, just to recap, who's the idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    For a little under twice the price, an X01 chain lasts about three times as long as a GX chain. So, just to recap, who's the idiot?
    Where's the gold star button? It's well established that the high end chains are more durable / longer lasting than the lower end ones (and end up being more cost effective per mile).

Yeah- This bike always seems lost in Yeti's stable and I don't think their product team truly gets what this bike could be. I feels like they only make it because they think they have to have a ~120mm frame and frankly they're relying on the Yeti name.

Taking the frame in isolation, they've made a 120mm short-travel trail bike. Weight, Rear Suspension Performance, Reach, etc.
    This isn't an XC Bike with longer legs. And that's fine, not everything has to be an Epic Evo.

However, the rider that a 30lb short travel bike is going to appeal to is someone that wants to survive the climbs, have fun on the pedally flow, and have something they can rely on for the DH. They are going to value things like "Burley" / "Poppy" / "Capable" / "Crushes the downs". Changing the Spec from a DPS to a Float X, for example, would go a long way it better telling this value prop.

This bike needs to have a unique selling point beyond the brand because there bikes all around it that are better in most metrics. Put this up against a Spur, Ripley, Epic Evo, Stumpjumper, etc. etc. and it loses to all of them across multiple categories.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Remember the 'Good Old Days'?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221116-155740.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	705.3 KB 
ID:	434307

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Left to Right
    Current 130mm 29er, decade old rigid Niner, recent 26” DJ but garbage, 20+ year old Manitou Spyder, 2 current 24” kid forks.

Not sure why I hung onto the orange Manitou Spyder, seized eslastomers and got it around ‘98. It was a warranty replacement of the OEM 96/97 Manitou Mach 5 that I snapped the lower arch hitting a downslope drop into grass from. Still have the Diamondback that it was on, but tried to kill me on a very regular basis. Makes you appreciate just how good bikes are today!!

My car needed picked up at 8AM this morning, so I used it as an excuse for a longer ride. Pedal from my house and make the 1400ft grind up in basically full dh gear. Stand there looking down the trail squeeze my brakes, and the rear one goes to the bar. A couple of pumps firms it up, but after a loop around the top, it does it again. I turn around and go back down via less exciting trails on which I'm comfortable not being sure if the rear brake will work.

'to be' or not to be, that is the grammar question of the day.

Yeah, I've been dreaming of an xc ish down country up down bike.... saw the bike, looks nice, read the specs and saw the prices and cried a little inside.
    I've been a Santa Cruz bro for a few years and they are in the stratosphere with funny bits on builds as well.

Like, these aren't dentist builds anymore. They are the dentist's finance guys build.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    When zero friction does the study based on broken chains vs wearing out I'll listen. Until then ive broken xo1 and I've broken gx. This tends to end my chains before stretch, but perhaps for the low watt front range type, the xo1 would have made more sense.

And proud owner of an SC tallboy with a 140 fox 36, float x, codes, and a double down in the rear. Traded for a v2 hightower, way more fun on 95% of rides where you know the lines or it's just not that steep. Importantly for me it's a much better technical climber thanks to the lower front end and the firmer/poppier rear suspension which means you can hop up higher and then more power makes it to the wheels on steep/technical ups. Huck to flats took a bit of a step back, but that's probably for the best. That said, I agree that this yeti is in no man's land, would be hard pressed to choose it over a tallboy.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Yeah, I've been dreaming of an xc ish down country up down bike....
    FWIW, as someone who has one of those bikes (Spur), I'll say that I've barely ridden it since I got my Revel Rail built up. Rail climbs amazingly well, so why would I ride the Spur when the Rail is way more fun on the descent?

these aren't dentist builds anymore. They are the dentist's finance guys build.
    haha, I'll have to remember that one
    Last edited by evdog; 11-18-2022 at 02:09 AM.

Yeah, I've been dreaming of an xc ish down country up down bike.... saw the bike, looks nice, read the specs and saw the prices and cried a little inside.
    I've been a Santa Cruz bro for a few years and they are in the stratosphere with funny bits on builds as well.

Like, these aren't dentist builds anymore. They are the dentist's finance guys build.
    You should check out the Propain Hugene…. It’s the perfect bike for where you ride.

Nothing to see here...... Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post

Salsa Beargrease by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by donutlynx View Post
    Salsa Beargrease by chance?
    Cheap Chinese knock off frame. Carbonspeed CS-197. The bottom bracket delaminated on the first one I got. This frame was the replacement and it blew apart too. Rode the shit out of it anyways.

Cheap Chinese knock off frame. Carbonspeed CS-197. The bottom bracket delaminated on the first one I got. This frame was the replacement and it blew apart too. Rode the shit out of it anyways.
    What did the frame cost? Just curious really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    What did the frame cost? Just curious really.

I'd have to go back and look. I think it was around $350 with a rigid fork. I can't complain. I got about three or four years out of the two frames. The seller "Peter" was great to deal with but apparently he left the business last year to get into crypto.

I'd have to go back and look. I think it was around $350 with a rigid fork. I can't complain. I got about three or four years out of the two frames. The seller "Peter" was great to deal with but apparently he left the business last year to get into crypto.

So he should be back to bikes any day now.

Not really a rant but we don't have a "biking shit that amuses you thread" so here we go.

Couple weekends ago I was down on Gooseberry Mesa, trying to catch some warmth and keep biking season alive. Couple buddies and I weren't particularly motivated on day 1 so we decided to do a scenic loop and ride Secret Trail clockwise since we always do it the other way (which is more flowy by 0.7%). We make it to mile 5.5 of 6 before running into people, a group of 5 of 6 dudes that were having a grand old time. Well, most of them, cause mid-pack was a sour-looking gentleman pushing a VERY blingy ebike, I want to say a top-of-the-line build Rocky Mtn Altitude?
    His back wheel looked really pissed with a whole bunch of floppy spokes. Floppy spokes you ask? Turns out ebike gent (who btw was on the tall and well-fed side of things) was rocking some equally top-of-the-line carbon hoops with super fancy string spokes, the kind you'd find on Berd wheels and other high end ultralight race wheels. I guess once a string fails the whole thing goes to shit like a house of card setup in front of a large fan, and his wheel looked like a particularly aggro cat had treated it as a ball of yarn kitty toy. Oooops.

We didn't have time to ask him about the reasoning behind having this kind of a wheelset on a 50+ lbs ebike cause he proceeded to tell us of his plan to stay with his buddies and walk the rest of the trail. We were less than 1/2 mile from the turnoff to Hidden Canyon which takes you back to the main road on the mesa and back to the car in about 3 miles, less if you cut a few obvious spots. Instead the poor dude was looking at about 7 miles of pushing his mangled mules through cactus gardens and endless meanders while his buddies grumble about how slow things are. Gooseberry is flat when you look at it from far enough way but in reality it's an endless series of short punchy climbs and downhill with constant sandstone steps, something no amount of motor assist will help you push through without really hating life.

For all I know dude's still out there pushing his bike... More money than sense?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise