Page 108 of 241 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 6022
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    That is a cairn? looks like a pile of rocks.
    a random pile of rocks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I suspect some delicate flowers got tired of the loose babyheads at the intersection and just removed them from the trail to a pile...
    Who the fuck likes loose baby heads? Probly the same people who love axle deep rain ruts.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Who the fuck likes loose baby heads? Probly the same people who love axle deep rain ruts.
    Nobody *likes* them, but at least around here, removing them is a fool's errand - you'll end up with a ditch 3 feet deep and a wall of babyheads 10 feet high.

Nobody *likes* them, but at least around here, removing them is a fool's errand - you'll end up with a ditch 3 feet deep and a wall of babyheads 10 feet high.
    Touche. Round here it's usually just a late summer maintenance issue.

And on the topic, fuck the people who complain about trail maintenance "sanitizing" the trail. Repairing destroyed corners, overly eroded root/rock sections, rain ruts, marbly trail surface etc are all necessary maintenance of sustainable trails around here. Wannabe tough guys always want to show how gnar they are by complaining about anything that makes a trail less hard or janky.

And on the topic, fuck the people who complain about trail maintenance "sanitizing" the trail. Repairing destroyed corners, overly eroded root/rock sections, rain ruts, marbly trail surface etc are all necessary maintenance of sustainable trails around here. Wannabe tough guys always want to show how gnar they are by complaining about anything that makes a trail less hard or janky.
    We must live in the same place.

"IN BEFORE THE SANITATION LAMENTATION!!"

That said... some assholes *do* take it upon themselves to "maintain" things which actually amounts to sanitiation - and that's bullshit.

They didn’t name them the Rocky Mountains for nuthin’.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

When people refer to a trail being destroyed and ruined after someone moved a rock, ran a tire through a poorly graded chronically muddy spot or blew out a poorly built turn. Sure, the trail might look 0.0001% different than it did the day before, but it's probably far from ruined unless a logging company came through. In which case it was theirs to destroy.
    Hyperbole. It's what makes the wheels go 'round.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Bike reviews by people who are not qualified to provide bike reviews.

As skaredshtles pointed out there's a balance between doing work on a trail to fix issues or improve riding experience and just making the trail easier for the sake of (probably) going faster on Strava. The former should be done (and praised). The latter should be punished. And people who amalgamate the two should be flogged for being such negative asshats.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The idea that everyone modifying a trail is just out to get faster Strava times.
    Sometimes there’s that one section of trail that just doesn’t flow as awesome as the rest of it. And it’s actually an abandoned old mining/logging road that was never purpose built for biking anyway.
    Sometimes a really fun “blue” trail has one six foot long super tech “double black” bit that’s also uncharacteristically dangerous. And it would be a much funner-er trail if the death hole was filled with this big rock that makes it easier and safer and more like the rest of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

And sometimes its a black or double black trail all the way down that jongs insist on riding but instead of ride the features they create ride arounds, add cheater rocks or disassemble features so they can "ride" the trail. Some people just suck.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    And sometimes its a black or double black trail all the way down that jongs insist on riding but instead of ride the features they create ride arounds, add cheater rocks or disassemble features so they can "ride" the trail. Some people just suck.
    This is happening more and more this year, as more and more people start riding for the first time. I personally don't get it, if I can't ride something (whether it's too steep, long, difficult, technical, etc) then I see it as a challenge and I try to get better. I think I'm/we're in the minority on that, sadly.

I've modified ski slopes twice in my life. Once a stump on a shoot that torqued my knee and once a rock that did the same knee. I took sledgehammers and axes to those bitches. Pay back on those inanimate object was extreme! As far as the ride arounds, I don't let it phase me. It's feature removal that bugs me.

I once had a trail crew bark at me at a trail at the canyons I rode daily when my kids were little after we got them to bed. (Holly's) When I asked if I could ride through the guy barks at me "Were doing this for you". I said " I ride up this trail every day. I don't ever have to worry about getting hit because it is overgrown, rough and narrow. People have to go slow and no one rides it. So no, you aren't doing it for me, your ruining it for me. " Now that trail is just another park city high way. Damn I was a grumpy old man even when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    This is happening more and more this year, as more and more people start riding for the first time. I personally don't get it, if I can't ride something (whether it's too steep, long, difficult, technical, etc) then I see it as a challenge and I try to get better. I think I'm/we're in the minority on that, sadly.
    Obviously you are not the E-target market.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The idea that everyone modifying a trail is just out to get faster Strava times.
    Sometimes there’s that one section of trail that just doesn’t flow as awesome as the rest of it. And it’s actually an abandoned old mining/logging road that was never purpose built for biking anyway.
    Sometimes a really fun “blue” trail has one six foot long super tech “double black” bit that’s also uncharacteristically dangerous. And it would be a much funner-er trail if the death hole was filled with this big rock that makes it easier and safer and more like the rest of the ride.

If it was a purpose-built bike trail, sure, fix it, make it flow better, whatever, it's designed with bikes in mind, has to fit in the rating system, etc...
    If it's an old trail that is now seeing bike traffic, let it be. Part of the fun is dealing with inconsistencies in the terrain. I don't mind if 5 miles into the green trail there's a double black section, it gives me something to work on. If I clear it great, if I don't I'll try again next time, and if it's clearly above my head I'll walk it. Not everything has to be tailored to my prefered specs and designed for my safety and enjoyment. If that was my mindset I'd go to the bike park only.
    The same attitude is currently taking over climbing and creating raging bolt wars around old lines that are perceived to be unsafe. Fuck that noise, just don't climb them if they're too scary.

Bottomline: nobody's entitled to getting to the top of a rock or down a bike trail. Some things will forever remain out of reach and that's fine. Others aren't going to be as fun as they could be and that's also fine. If that bothers you then you might be the problem...

As far as the stravassholes, I stand by my comment. Some people got in the game purely to rack up gold badges online and if they have to remove rocks or cut turns to get there they will. I know a few, they're nice people but once the clock starts ticking they'll run over their mom for that KOM.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Is a blue trail that has one or two double black sections actually a blue trail? Or is it a double black trail that's mostly pretty easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    <snip>
    As far as the stravassholes, I stand by my comment. Some people got in the game purely to rack up gold badges online
    Wait... there are GOLD BADGES?!?

Nobody told me...

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Is a blue trail that has one or two double black sections actually a blue trail? Or is it a double black trail that's mostly pretty easy?
    Still a double black I think. Same as in climbing, overall difficulty is determined by the hardest move?
    Perfect to claim double-black level of radness by only clearing one double-black section.

Wait... there are GOLD BADGES?!?
    Nobody told me...
    Gold everything. Medals, badges, even laurel fucking crowns made of gold. You could be a wheeled Caesar if you tried.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Double black. Always rate by the most difficult section. How can you not, right?

People charging more for gear on swaps than what you can buy it for new on the internet. I am always tempted to respond with links to the web page saying “here is where you can get it new for less with a full warranty!” But yeah, I’ve never had the guts to actually do it.

A friend is buying a fully loaded SB165 to replace his old Bronson 2 without demoing it, but has selected size small because he doesn't want it to be "too long." He's ~5'7"/8", on a medium now. Dude, you're buying a bike with a fucking 63.5 HTA and a 180mm fork... that's about as long as you can get for a trail bike. I am trying sooo hard to politely tell him he's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    People charging more for gear on swaps than what you can buy it for new on the internet. I am always tempted to respond with links to the web page saying “here is where you can get it new for less with a full warranty!” But yeah, I’ve never had the guts to actually do it.
    How 'bout people posting on regional and national forums specifically stating Local Pickup Only. What's the fucking point? You really think someone's gonna road trip to Nashville to buy your steezy gold and purple i9 wheelset?

I’ve asked nicely if they were willing to work on price, if they say no, then try to point out better deals.

We have some near here that’ll totally throw flames price policing

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    If it was a purpose-built bike trail, sure, fix it, make it flow better, whatever, it's designed with bikes in mind, has to fit in the rating system, etc...
    If it's an old trail that is now seeing bike traffic, let it be. Part of the fun is dealing with inconsistencies in the terrain. I don't mind if 5 miles into the green trail there's a double black section, it gives me something to work on. If I clear it great, if I don't I'll try again next time, and if it's clearly above my head I'll walk it. Not everything has to be tailored to my prefered specs and designed for my safety and enjoyment. If that was my mindset I'd go to the bike park only.
    The same attitude is currently taking over climbing and creating raging bolt wars around old lines that are perceived to be unsafe. Fuck that noise, just don't climb them if they're too scary.

Bottomline: nobody's entitled to getting to the top of a rock or down a bike trail. Some things will forever remain out of reach and that's fine. Others aren't going to be as fun as they could be and that's also fine. If that bothers you then you might be the problem...
    Agree - not everything has to "flow". Low speed tech puzzles are fun and engaging and really lacking on most purpose built bike trails. One of the things I loved (and miss) about riding in Pisgah ~5-10 years ago was here, this has been here for decades..is what it is....eroded, rutted, irregular, off camber, etc ....ride up it, down it, or walk it and find a fun line.. One of the most fun trails I ever rode was mostly a giant rut that was literally over your head it was so deep and eroded.

Sometimes those of us who like this kind of riding start to enjoy purpose built trails as they erode and yeah get a little touchy when it gets turned into a dirt sidewalk again. Nothing to do with riding ability or feeling superior, just like jank

If someone politely told me I'm overpriced, I would appreciate it, but as you probably know KSL.com is full of kooks and I'm defensive from the get-go dealing with people there.

Somebody once came in hot and called me out on selling something overpriced on KSL. I told him to fuck off. He got butthurt and sent me a link to prove his point, but his link was to a different much cheaper model. Ha. then I accidentally sent him my current GPS location while trying to block his number. Whoops.