Page 38 of 241 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8808.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	842.4 KB 
ID:	263890

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^ They did it wrong. You're supposed to jump it. That's why they put in the slanty curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I ride up a trail often that is also often ridden downhill (Schoolbus in Ned, for those who know it).
    Lots of people think that trail is Schoolbus, but it's actual local name is Dave's Girlfriend. It's an out an back trail - first you go up then you turn around and come back down. The uphill gets fairly steep, loose and annoying near the top, and the downhill has very little flow and you can't rip down it. It was literally named after a dude named Dave's girlfriend based on the principal that both the woman and the trail shared:

A ton of work with pretty much no payoff.

Dave's stories of girlfriends through the years are pretty legendary.

^^^That's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Lots of people think that trail is Schoolbus, but it's actual local name is Dave's Girlfriend. It's an out an back trail - first you go up then you turn around and come back down. The uphill gets fairly steep, loose and annoying near the top, and the downhill has very little flow and you can't rip down it. It was literally named after a dude named Dave's girlfriend based on the principal that both the woman and the trail shared:

A ton of work with pretty much no payoff.

Dave's stories of girlfriends through the years are pretty legendary.
    not sure what the joke is here that I'm missing. But I've been riding it for 15+ years and know a bunch of Ned locals and never heard that name, you can go up other ways and ride the Bus down (ie it's not just an out and back), it doesn't get steep, loose, and annoying at the top, and you most certainly can rip the fuck out of it going down. Flow is in the eye of the rider.

So what's the joke here?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

not sure what the joke is here that I'm missing. But I've been riding it for 15+ years and know a bunch of Ned locals and never heard that name, you can go up other ways and ride the Bus down (ie it's not just an out and back), it doesn't get steep, loose, and annoying at the top, and you most certainly can rip the fuck out of it going down. Flow is in the eye of the rider.

So what's the joke here?
    You married Dave's girlfreind? I dunno.

Certainly possible.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think safety is the primary goal, but in areas that have a high volume of use, efficiency needs to be a close second. I also think that, if applied correctly, efficiency brings safety (car example: roundabouts - more efficient and safer). And right now, in most trail locations, efficiency is barely even considered. I'm confident there's a better way.
    I agree with you about efficiency, but when it's busy that's when I tend to assert my right of way going uphill. Otherwise you're on and off the bike endlessly. That's not efficient. If you're riding downhill on a busy trail, you just need to lower your expectations and chill. Generally I hate riding busy trails.

So what's the joke here?
    Rollinsville locals. Flow, yes, is in the eye of the beholder. We always thought the name was hilarious - as was Dave. He loved going down fast and hated going up, hence his comment about the trail (it is not exactly a high speed ripping descent), hence the trail name after he started complaining about his girlfriend taking up a lot of his energy and not getting any joy back. Your mileage may vary. Name is probably nearly 20 years old, now that I think about it. Remember back when you first started riding it, the top wasn't rerouted yet and was really steep and loose? Better now.

I have many friends who ride and love that trail. I think it's fine. But the name and backstory was awesome so it's stuck around.

That part through the trees where they all line up is really cool. Yes, I know how it ties into the other trails up there. Many changes on those trails over the last couple decades. Rode car wash for the first time in many years recently, and it's hard to see now why it was named that, but back when the trees were low and ripped your sides as you blasted through, it made sense.

Edit: I see you feel it's a good downhill. I know others that agree - not saying you are wrong. Just that we always felt it was not steep enough/fast enough coming down...

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I agree with you about efficiency, but when it's busy that's when I tend to assert my right of way going uphill. Otherwise you're on and off the bike endlessly. That's not efficient. If you're riding downhill on a busy trail, you just need to lower your expectations and chill. Generally I hate riding busy trails.
    That's the sort of situation where the trail should just be directional one way or the other.

That's the sort of situation where the trail should just be directional one way or the other.
    Listen to Don Quixote over here...

But it's not, so you're just going to have to suck it up, and yield to uphill traffic. It's not that hard.

But it's not, so you're just going to have to suck it up, and yield to uphill traffic. It's not that hard.
    Or, y'know, rant about it in the rant thread.

Maybe we should put bike lanes going along hiking trails.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I think you mean walking paths going along the bike trails.

No, it is not that hard.

However yesterday I was riding the local gem, Copper City. There are several climbs that are pretty fucking obvious and people descending were a mixed bag, some would pull over, some would sort of kind of yield and many others just blew past me.

Most of those who blew by got a very happy sounding "Thank You" that in reality was a happy "Fuck You".

It was cold but sunny and crowded and I was not going to get bent out of shape over some jerks who just don't know any better.

But in getting to Toasts POV, there is a lot of rolling terrain that changes from up to down every 500 yards. In that case it would be a helluva lot easier to designate one direction that has ROW rather than depending on human beings to understand the difference. And FYI there are 2 DH trails designated downhill travel only.

And one more thing. If you are on STRAVA and trying to score your fucking KOM, don't keep stopping for whatever reason only to get back on your bike and feel the need to pass me again.

/rant------ 4 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    But in getting to Toasts POV, there is a lot of rolling terrain that changes from up to down every 500 yards. In that case it would be a helluva lot easier to designate one direction that has ROW rather than depending on human beings to understand the difference. And FYI there are 2 DH trails designated downhill travel only.
    How's that 2nd DH trail? When I was there, it was flagged but not built yet. Never Sweat was the only descent open.

And yeah, that area is a good example. All of the trails have a preferred direction noted on trailforks, but those directions aren't "official" (with the exception of the DH trails).

I think I hate Strava.

I think you mean walking paths going along the bike trails.
    Ah, yes of course.

How's that 2nd DH trail? When I was there, it was flagged but not built yet. Never Sweat was the only descent open.

And yeah, that area is a good example. All of the trails have a preferred direction noted on trailforks, but those directions aren't "official" (with the exception of the DH trails).

The 2nd trail is roughed in but not completed.

Thankfully, for me, riding bikes is not a stress inducing activity. On top of that, I try not to concern myself too much with the bicycles other people may choose to ride, why they choose those bikes, or the clothes they wear while they ride them.

If I get passed by an E bike, that’s ok too because deep down I know that my bicycle does not have a motor...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I have quite the pile of 26 parts and a couple of bikes I'll likely never use again. I'd love to get some $$ out of the 07 S Works Enduro that has been hanging from a hook in the basement for 5 years now. There's also a pile of tires and a couple of basic wheels. Bring cash

I'm north of you in Toronto. Shipping wheels is likely not cost effective but if you're willing to pursue, by all means let me know what 26 inch QR wheels you'd like to unlaod.

It's been a week since I started stripping down my commuter for a complete ground-up rebuild. Driving to work is driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Actually they’re doing that here on two high traffic trails. The existing trails will remain multi use but bikes will be uphill only. New bike only downhill directional trails will go in more or less adjacent to the current trails. I’m excited. I’ve mostly avoided descending each trail entirely even though one was fun and also provided the only link to another area. Now We’ll be able to descend each at speed and link up other stuff.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Actually they’re doing that here on two high traffic trails. The existing trails will remain multi use but bikes will be uphill only. New bike only downhill directional trails will go in more or less adjacent to the current trails. I’m excited. I’ve mostly avoided descending each trail entirely even though one was fun and also provided the only link to another area. Now We’ll be able to descend each at speed and link up other stuff.
    Steamboat recently did just this. There's a really popular trail right out of town called "Spring Creek" that apparently can get really busy - they built a parallel, bike-only DH trail along the creek. It's... brilliant, I tell ya. Brilliant!