Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2701
  1. #2676
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    That is a cairn? looks like a pile of rocks.
    a random pile of rocks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  2. #2677
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I suspect some delicate flowers got tired of the loose babyheads at the intersection and just removed them from the trail to a pile...
    Who the fuck likes loose baby heads? Probly the same people who love axle deep rain ruts.

  3. #2678
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    6,261
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Who the fuck likes loose baby heads? Probly the same people who love axle deep rain ruts.
    Nobody *likes* them, but at least around here, removing them is a fool's errand - you'll end up with a ditch 3 feet deep and a wall of babyheads 10 feet high.

  4. #2679
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Nobody *likes* them, but at least around here, removing them is a fool's errand - you'll end up with a ditch 3 feet deep and a wall of babyheads 10 feet high.
    Touche. Round here it's usually just a late summer maintenance issue.

    And on the topic, fuck the people who complain about trail maintenance "sanitizing" the trail. Repairing destroyed corners, overly eroded root/rock sections, rain ruts, marbly trail surface etc are all necessary maintenance of sustainable trails around here. Wannabe tough guys always want to show how gnar they are by complaining about anything that makes a trail less hard or janky.

  5. #2680
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    6,261
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Touche. Round here it's usually just a late summer maintenance issue.

    And on the topic, fuck the people who complain about trail maintenance "sanitizing" the trail. Repairing destroyed corners, overly eroded root/rock sections, rain ruts, marbly trail surface etc are all necessary maintenance of sustainable trails around here. Wannabe tough guys always want to show how gnar they are by complaining about anything that makes a trail less hard or janky.
    We must live in the same place.

    "IN BEFORE THE SANITATION LAMENTATION!!"

    That said... some assholes *do* take it upon themselves to "maintain" things which actually amounts to sanitiation - and that's bullshit.

  6. #2681
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Nobody *likes* them, but at least around here, removing them is a fool's errand - you'll end up with a ditch 3 feet deep and a wall of babyheads 10 feet high.
    They didn’t name them the Rocky Mountains for nuthin’.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  7. #2682
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,184
    When people refer to a trail being destroyed and ruined after someone moved a rock, ran a tire through a poorly graded chronically muddy spot or blew out a poorly built turn. Sure, the trail might look 0.0001% different than it did the day before, but it's probably far from ruined unless a logging company came through. In which case it was theirs to destroy.
    Hyperbole. It's what makes the wheels go 'round.
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  8. #2683
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,443
    Bike reviews by people who are not qualified to provide bike reviews.

  9. #2684
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Touche. Round here it's usually just a late summer maintenance issue.

    And on the topic, fuck the people who complain about trail maintenance "sanitizing" the trail. Repairing destroyed corners, overly eroded root/rock sections, rain ruts, marbly trail surface etc are all necessary maintenance of sustainable trails around here. Wannabe tough guys always want to show how gnar they are by complaining about anything that makes a trail less hard or janky.
    As skaredshtles pointed out there's a balance between doing work on a trail to fix issues or improve riding experience and just making the trail easier for the sake of (probably) going faster on Strava. The former should be done (and praised). The latter should be punished. And people who amalgamate the two should be flogged for being such negative asshats.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  10. #2685
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,184
    The idea that everyone modifying a trail is just out to get faster Strava times.
    Sometimes there’s that one section of trail that just doesn’t flow as awesome as the rest of it. And it’s actually an abandoned old mining/logging road that was never purpose built for biking anyway.
    Sometimes a really fun “blue” trail has one six foot long super tech “double black” bit that’s also uncharacteristically dangerous. And it would be a much funner-er trail if the death hole was filled with this big rock that makes it easier and safer and more like the rest of the ride.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  11. #2686
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,245
    And sometimes its a black or double black trail all the way down that jongs insist on riding but instead of ride the features they create ride arounds, add cheater rocks or disassemble features so they can "ride" the trail. Some people just suck.

  12. #2687
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,443
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    And sometimes its a black or double black trail all the way down that jongs insist on riding but instead of ride the features they create ride arounds, add cheater rocks or disassemble features so they can "ride" the trail. Some people just suck.
    This is happening more and more this year, as more and more people start riding for the first time. I personally don't get it, if I can't ride something (whether it's too steep, long, difficult, technical, etc) then I see it as a challenge and I try to get better. I think I'm/we're in the minority on that, sadly.

  13. #2688
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,428
    I've modified ski slopes twice in my life. Once a stump on a shoot that torqued my knee and once a rock that did the same knee. I took sledgehammers and axes to those bitches. Pay back on those inanimate object was extreme! As far as the ride arounds, I don't let it phase me. It's feature removal that bugs me.

    I once had a trail crew bark at me at a trail at the canyons I rode daily when my kids were little after we got them to bed. (Holly's) When I asked if I could ride through the guy barks at me "Were doing this for you". I said " I ride up this trail every day. I don't ever have to worry about getting hit because it is overgrown, rough and narrow. People have to go slow and no one rides it. So no, you aren't doing it for me, your ruining it for me. " Now that trail is just another park city high way. Damn I was a grumpy old man even when I was young.

  14. #2689
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,456
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    This is happening more and more this year, as more and more people start riding for the first time. I personally don't get it, if I can't ride something (whether it's too steep, long, difficult, technical, etc) then I see it as a challenge and I try to get better. I think I'm/we're in the minority on that, sadly.
    Obviously you are not the E-target market.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  15. #2690
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The idea that everyone modifying a trail is just out to get faster Strava times.
    Sometimes there’s that one section of trail that just doesn’t flow as awesome as the rest of it. And it’s actually an abandoned old mining/logging road that was never purpose built for biking anyway.
    Sometimes a really fun “blue” trail has one six foot long super tech “double black” bit that’s also uncharacteristically dangerous. And it would be a much funner-er trail if the death hole was filled with this big rock that makes it easier and safer and more like the rest of the ride.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If it was a purpose-built bike trail, sure, fix it, make it flow better, whatever, it's designed with bikes in mind, has to fit in the rating system, etc...
    If it's an old trail that is now seeing bike traffic, let it be. Part of the fun is dealing with inconsistencies in the terrain. I don't mind if 5 miles into the green trail there's a double black section, it gives me something to work on. If I clear it great, if I don't I'll try again next time, and if it's clearly above my head I'll walk it. Not everything has to be tailored to my prefered specs and designed for my safety and enjoyment. If that was my mindset I'd go to the bike park only.
    The same attitude is currently taking over climbing and creating raging bolt wars around old lines that are perceived to be unsafe. Fuck that noise, just don't climb them if they're too scary.

    Bottomline: nobody's entitled to getting to the top of a rock or down a bike trail. Some things will forever remain out of reach and that's fine. Others aren't going to be as fun as they could be and that's also fine. If that bothers you then you might be the problem...

    As far as the stravassholes, I stand by my comment. Some people got in the game purely to rack up gold badges online and if they have to remove rocks or cut turns to get there they will. I know a few, they're nice people but once the clock starts ticking they'll run over their mom for that KOM.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  16. #2691
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,050
    Is a blue trail that has one or two double black sections actually a blue trail? Or is it a double black trail that's mostly pretty easy?

  17. #2692
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    6,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    <snip>
    As far as the stravassholes, I stand by my comment. Some people got in the game purely to rack up gold badges online
    Wait... there are GOLD BADGES?!?

    Nobody told me...

  18. #2693
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Is a blue trail that has one or two double black sections actually a blue trail? Or is it a double black trail that's mostly pretty easy?
    Still a double black I think. Same as in climbing, overall difficulty is determined by the hardest move?
    Perfect to claim double-black level of radness by only clearing one double-black section.

    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Wait... there are GOLD BADGES?!?
    Nobody told me...
    Gold everything. Medals, badges, even laurel fucking crowns made of gold. You could be a wheeled Caesar if you tried.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  19. #2694
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    5,811
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Is a blue trail that has one or two double black sections actually a blue trail? Or is it a double black trail that's mostly pretty easy?
    Double black. Always rate by the most difficult section. How can you not, right?

  20. #2695
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,428
    People charging more for gear on swaps than what you can buy it for new on the internet. I am always tempted to respond with links to the web page saying “here is where you can get it new for less with a full warranty!” But yeah, I’ve never had the guts to actually do it.

  21. #2696
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    804
    A friend is buying a fully loaded SB165 to replace his old Bronson 2 without demoing it, but has selected size small because he doesn't want it to be "too long." He's ~5'7"/8", on a medium now. Dude, you're buying a bike with a fucking 63.5 HTA and a 180mm fork... that's about as long as you can get for a trail bike. I am trying sooo hard to politely tell him he's nuts.

  22. #2697
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    People charging more for gear on swaps than what you can buy it for new on the internet. I am always tempted to respond with links to the web page saying “here is where you can get it new for less with a full warranty!” But yeah, I’ve never had the guts to actually do it.
    How 'bout people posting on regional and national forums specifically stating Local Pickup Only. What's the fucking point? You really think someone's gonna road trip to Nashville to buy your steezy gold and purple i9 wheelset?
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  23. #2698
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    People charging more for gear on swaps than what you can buy it for new on the internet. I am always tempted to respond with links to the web page saying “here is where you can get it new for less with a full warranty!” But yeah, I’ve never had the guts to actually do it.
    I’ve asked nicely if they were willing to work on price, if they say no, then try to point out better deals.

    We have some near here that’ll totally throw flames price policing


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  24. #2699
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    If it was a purpose-built bike trail, sure, fix it, make it flow better, whatever, it's designed with bikes in mind, has to fit in the rating system, etc...
    If it's an old trail that is now seeing bike traffic, let it be. Part of the fun is dealing with inconsistencies in the terrain. I don't mind if 5 miles into the green trail there's a double black section, it gives me something to work on. If I clear it great, if I don't I'll try again next time, and if it's clearly above my head I'll walk it. Not everything has to be tailored to my prefered specs and designed for my safety and enjoyment. If that was my mindset I'd go to the bike park only.
    The same attitude is currently taking over climbing and creating raging bolt wars around old lines that are perceived to be unsafe. Fuck that noise, just don't climb them if they're too scary.

    Bottomline: nobody's entitled to getting to the top of a rock or down a bike trail. Some things will forever remain out of reach and that's fine. Others aren't going to be as fun as they could be and that's also fine. If that bothers you then you might be the problem...
    Agree - not everything has to "flow". Low speed tech puzzles are fun and engaging and really lacking on most purpose built bike trails. One of the things I loved (and miss) about riding in Pisgah ~5-10 years ago was here, this has been here for decades..is what it is....eroded, rutted, irregular, off camber, etc ....ride up it, down it, or walk it and find a fun line.. One of the most fun trails I ever rode was mostly a giant rut that was literally over your head it was so deep and eroded.

    Sometimes those of us who like this kind of riding start to enjoy purpose built trails as they erode and yeah get a little touchy when it gets turned into a dirt sidewalk again. Nothing to do with riding ability or feeling superior, just like jank

  25. #2700
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States of Aburdistan
    Posts
    7,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    People charging more for gear on swaps than what you can buy it for new on the internet. I am always tempted to respond with links to the web page saying “here is where you can get it new for less with a full warranty!” But yeah, I’ve never had the guts to actually do it.


    If someone politely told me I'm overpriced, I would appreciate it, but as you probably know KSL.com is full of kooks and I'm defensive from the get-go dealing with people there.

    Somebody once came in hot and called me out on selling something overpriced on KSL. I told him to fuck off. He got butthurt and sent me a link to prove his point, but his link was to a different much cheaper model. Ha. then I accidentally sent him my current GPS location while trying to block his number. Whoops.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •