Page 149 of 247 FirstFirst ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 6154
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    LOL, are you even 30 yet?
    My mid 20's are really taking a toll! My hairline, and my riding style are fully prepared for bottom of the pack Masters class riding.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    My mid 20's are really taking a toll! My hairline, and my riding style are fully prepared for bottom of the pack Masters class riding.
    Aha, we will be compadres.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    As I have started to ride the bike park more and am now using a full face helmet, I got some goggles to use because it seemed like it was the proper thing to do. They make my face sweaty, put pressure on my nose so i cant breath as well, and kind of get in the way.

I am not a downhill racer, nor am I ever riding in wet/muddy conditions. I really don't see the benefit of goggles.

Don't care if its a kooky move, but I'm wearing sunglasses with my full face helmet from now on.
    I've had goggles in the past that put pressure on my nose/face which was really uncomfortable, to the point I couldn't wear them with that helmet.

I didn't wear goggles often though, mainly at whistler, other bike parks and DH races. Occasionally on wet days but glasses were often enough then. Most of the time I didn't wear any glasses. It was seldom dusty where I rode (NVan), few bugs and not sunny. For me goggles are only needed for high speed riding where getting something in your eye could be catastrophic or when conditions are really dusty or muddy. Glasses often enough and often I don't wear anything. The only thing kooky is wearing goggles when there is no need for them. Goggles with a half lid is always kooky. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I've had goggles in the past that put pressure on my nose/face which was really uncomfortable, to the point I couldn't wear them with that helmet.

I didn't wear goggles often though, mainly at whistler, other bike parks and DH races. Occasionally on wet days but glasses were often enough then. Most of the time I didn't wear any glasses. It was seldom dusty where I rode (NVan), few bugs and not sunny. For me goggles are only needed for high speed riding where getting something in your eye could be catastrophic or when conditions are really dusty or muddy. Glasses often enough and often I don't wear anything. The only thing kooky is wearing goggles when there is no need for them. Goggles with a half lid is always kooky. Always.
    Good to hear. Im #TEAMSUNNIES from now on!

In my search for a new trail helmet I'm insanely annoyed by half-shell reviews and marketers touting goggle storage but these same dumbasses brush off sunglass storage. Who rides a half-shell w goggles?!?! My roadie helmets have stored variety of sunglasses in some config for decades, how is this a problem???

I'm not expecting glasses to stay put through EWS terrain, but does it not get hot, humid, muggy where any of the helmet designers live??? Pretty sure there are plenty of world class riding in muggy Appalachia and other east coast destinations.

Indeed. Sunglass storage should be a mandatory feature, like straps.

I can confirm that Evdog rides without glasses, even on dry, fast trails where I would be deathly afraid of something getting in my eye.

I'm firmly in the sunglasses camp, even while skiing. Only when it's really dumping or like 5 deg F will I wear goggles, but I don't ride lifts.

My rant is about "photochromic" lenses that won't work at all when the temp is below 40F. I'm looking at you, Julbo. When we ski into the evening and the glasses stay at full dark, we are not impressed.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

My reactive Julbo glasses and goggles work.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I've been riding with the full face a bit more lately and I'm rocking sunglasses with it despite the kookiness. My eyes are super pissy and even if a dust-free world existed (the anti-Wasatch if you will) I couldn't survive more than 5 minutes in the sun without dark lenses. I see people on the Crest at 7 pm riding without eye protecting and it blows my mind. 10k elevation, setting sun right in their face, dust clouds, how are they not blind??

I'm loving the feel of full face and goggles for fast DH though. Something about how little movement there is with the googles holding everything in place, and more dust protection. Following someone down a blown out Wasatch rut is basically like the scene in Fear and Loathing when they're driving around the moto race in the desert outside Las Vegas...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    In my search for a new trail helmet I'm insanely annoyed by half-shell reviews and marketers touting goggle storage but these same dumbasses brush off sunglass storage. Who rides a half-shell w goggles?!?! My roadie helmets have stored variety of sunglasses in some config for decades, how is this a problem???

I'm not expecting glasses to stay put through EWS terrain, but does it not get hot, humid, muggy where any of the helmet designers live??? Pretty sure there are plenty of world class riding in muggy Appalachia and other east coast destinations.
    I have a new helmet but continue reaching for my older smith forefront because the glasses storage on it is so good. they didn’t include that feature on the new edition which is such a bummer
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    My reactive Julbo glasses and goggles work.
    When it's cold? I have tried 2 pair of the new 0-3 ones and 2 pair of the older 0-2 ones and they all go full dark and stay that way when it's cold. Multiple times, different people. WTF?

They all work perfectly for cycling, so I keep them, but it sure would be nice to have that tech for skiing too.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

I'm loving the feel of full face and goggles for fast DH though. Something about how little movement there is with the googles holding everything in place, and more dust protection.
    This.

If I'm bothering with a full face, I'm wearing goggles. 100% of the time (unless it's so wet that I've given up on any kind of eye covering).

I dabbled in goggles / half shell years ago. Decided that, aside from looking stupid, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

I can’t bring myself to wear sunglasses with a full-face. If I need to wear one, I want goggles. I recently bought the Leatt convertible enduro helmet, and solved my goggle/sunglasses issue by getting a new pair of sunnies with a big lens. I went with a Scott Shield because they seemed to fit better than the Smith Wildcat.

Sunglass storage on the Leatt works, but it’s not fantastic. I always stow them when I’m climbing.

Should have clarified, sunglasses on the up only with the full face. Eyes too sensitive not to have anything in front of them and with the goggles I turn into a sweat monster if I'm pedaling. With the sunnies I managed a solid hour and 1700' of steep pedaling yesterday without dying of heat stroke and my eyes didn't quit on me. Since I rock a fanny pack I can store goggles in there for the up and swap for the down.

Buddy of mine does the half-lid + goggles thing on rides with a big up and a big down. He looks a bit kooky but he's one of the fastest and most stylish riders I know so I let him get away with it
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

googles on the up? damn. respect

I’m too much of a sweaty beast
    skid luxury

Full face on the up? You lost me there.

A guy who used to ride with some friends of mine would wear it all....on every ride no matter what it was. Full face (no goggles though), leatt, chest protector, full hard shell arm and leg armor. He also carried spares "just in case". And I don't mean spare quick links. He had the whole replacement chain, spare derailleur, shifter, seatpost. His wife was a chronic worry wort so all this was required equipment. He was in complete misery for half the year when it is hot, but he was safe on those smooth downhills he loved to crush!

Dub crank bolts.
    Overall, the Dub stuff has been great, BBs seem to be holding up…but goddamn, the shit we’ve done to break the bolts open for crank extraction is insane. Used an old Park frame alignment tool FFS-2 on the NDS crankarm and a handlebar on the wrench last week. Smelled like bumper cars when it broke free.
    It had only been re-installed about a week prior with grease on threads and splines.
    I’ve experimented with grease under the self-extraction cap ( which also seems to unthread and fall off lots of cranks- finally got a resupply, but we’re telling folks to keep an eye on the trail for ground scores) but I can’t really tell if that makes a difference. My hunch is that there might be some binding between the bolt and cap.
    Anybody got any other tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Dub crank bolts.
    Overall, the Dub stuff has been great, BBs seem to be holding up…but goddamn, the shit we’ve done to break the bolts open for crank extraction is insane. Used an old Park frame alignment tool FFS-2 on the NDS crankarm and a handlebar on the wrench last week. Smelled like bumper cars when it broke free.
    It had only been re-installed about a week prior with grease on threads and splines.
    I’ve experimented with grease under the self-extraction cap ( which also seems to unthread and fall off lots of cranks- finally got a resupply, but we’re telling folks to keep an eye on the trail for ground scores) but I can’t really tell if that makes a difference. My hunch is that there might be some binding between the bolt and cap.
    Anybody got any other tricks?

I'm all ears too, I hate those things.

I've resorted to using a pneumatic impact driver to get one off but can't say I necessary recommend that technique.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I'm all ears too, I hate those things.

I've resorted to using a pneumatic impact driver to get one off but can't say I necessary recommend that technique.
    We tried a big battery powered impact driver, but not pneumatic.
    It’s blows my mind that SRAM hasn’t provided a fix.

helped a bit once just removing the self extracting cap and getting some triflo in there, putting the cap back and having another person help hold the pedal to get it free. Otherwise I'd love a better way too haha

No special trick here.
    I like to loosen the self extracting cap a few turns with the Abbey Tool and back off the preload ring, and then use a 3ft breaker bar with a hex socket.
    I always set the bike on the ground so the force is though the wheels.
    If it does not break loose with the normal ugga-dugga, I'l l try to remove the extracting cap and drip some triflow in there.
    Once the bolt breaks loose (I love that smell) I tighten the extracting cap back up, and thread it out.
    It's such stupid design. I pulled some Race Face Cinch cracks last night, and it was such a pleasure, and theoretically its the same design.
    I need to order some of the steel replacement DUB bolt/cap set for when come across a bike with a missing cap.

Like I said no real tricks, just brute force and my trusty 3 footer.

Good read here:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/sram...ize-stuck-fix/

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    It’s blows my mind that SRAM hasn’t provided a fix.

Just know this is a carry over feature from the bb30 cranks. They had a chance to address it when developing DUB but Sramed instead.

After many years at a specialized shop (BB30) I have determine a cheater bar and friend standing on the pedal is the best method. Basically Dees method but add a person.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yep, I loosen the preload collar and use a breaker bar with the bicycle on the ground. Every time - I don’t even bother trying to remove DUB cranks with a bike in a stand.

I don’t loosen the self extracting cap first though. I do blue loctite the shit out of those however to keep them from ending up on a stretch of singletrack somewhere.

This is an mtb crank arm, not bolts on a D8 drive sprocket. WTF

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    This is an mtb crank arm, not bolts on a D8 drive sprocket. WTF
    Those fawkers look tough… at least the sprocket on those is 9 separate pieces, so you can do 40° of your sprocket and 6 bolts at a time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4727.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	421136