Page 60 of 246 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 6149
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    I'm happy to yield on most climbs, but if it's steep and technical enough that if I stop I'm going to be walking then the DH rider can either stop for a second or take an alternate line.
    And for the love of all that is holy, if you do stop to accommodate me, do not fucking stop in the worst possible spot AKA the outside of a tight uphill switchback, or right in the middle of a berm.

On two way trails on blind corners you bet your ass im not taking the main line around that corner when climbing... a little common sense and self preservation goes a long way. On the flip side, i was descending a two way trail and came around a blind corner to find another rider at the exit of the berm. With no chance to stop and no where to go, i just sent it over the back of the berm into a blackberry thicket. The other guy was nice enough pull me out haha. i looked very rapey for the next few days from all the scrapes on my face.

Offleash dogs on trails. I have my dog off leash on trails a fair amount and he has learned to stay away from bike tires due to me and my riding buddies spending the first year of his life intentionally trying to buzz him with our front tires whenever he came close. On the flip side, if your dog is off leash and we are passing on a trail (at normal polite passing speed), i expect your dog to move out of the way and if i happen to bump it with my front tire its the dogs fault, not mine.

All of these hypothetical situations.

Rule of thumb not the LAW OF THE LAND is, Bikers yield to everyone and the Uphill rider has the ROW.

That said the easiest thing to remember is, DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE.

There, that fucking horse is dead and beaten to a fine mush.

Drops mic and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    <snip> i was descending a two way trail and came around a blind corner to find another rider at the exit of the berm. With no chance to stop and no where to go, i just sent it over the back of the berm into a blackberry thicket.
    That's one way to do it. Now SLOW DOWN before blind corners from now on.

People who don’t work, go on a week vacation then complain they need a mental health day when they get back. WTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That's one way to do it. Now SLOW DOWN before blind corners from now on.
    Eh, it was on a flat section of trail, not going fast, early AM, and i didnt see the guy until i was at the split second of pumping the berm. Total freak perfect storm. One of those situations where he recognized that i wasnt really doing anything wrong, he wasn't either and it was just a freak occurence. Both of us chuckled at it, and moved on with our rides... because no one was a dick that day. Its amazing what can be accomplished if you have a smidgen of concern about others enjoyment of your shared recreation.

Its amazing what can be accomplished if you have a smidgen of concern about others enjoyment of your shared recreation.
    Damn near sig worthy.

Since this topic won't die - I generally ride alone, aren't fast and am happy to stop and catch my breath (I mean yield) when I see riders coming my way, whether I'm going up or down. At my local trails people are generally appreciative, and will mention how many other riders are in their group behind them.

One thing I noticed though in Moab is I suspect they take the 'uphill rider has the right of way' thing pretty seriously because I noticed some weird reactions to people when I'd stop for downhill riders. No one ever said anything outright but I noticed multiple times people sorta giving me a strange look.

Or maybe they're just not used to seeing 26 inch wheels lol.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Has anyone ranted yet about fucking DH morons that you yield for and they *still* go off trail into the weeds to pass you? That's irritating as SHIT.
    Or when the prep by riding through landscaped areas to get hyped. It's my only explanation. Your 1 second of "off-road" often causes work for others.

I have one...DT Swiss rim strip SUCKS and is EXPENSIVE.
    That is all.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Since this topic won't die - I generally ride alone, aren't fast and am happy to stop and catch my breath (I mean yield) when I see riders coming my way, whether I'm going up or down. At my local trails people are generally appreciative, and will mention how many other riders are in their group behind them.

One thing I noticed though in Moab is I suspect they take the 'uphill rider has the right of way' thing pretty seriously because I noticed some weird reactions to people when I'd stop for downhill riders. No one ever said anything outright but I noticed multiple times people sorta giving me a strange look.

Your local trails might not be public land?

In Moab, we use the federal public land rules. Don't be a dick, don't litter in any way shape or form, and yield to the appropriate user. All uphill traffic has the right of way.

Yeah there might be more signs, but those should be for international tourists, not Americans would should know these rules unless they grew up riding in areas surrounded by selfish shit morons who like to ruin what gifts they have.

It probably was the 26in wheels though

#murica lol

Anywhere I have ridden in the last 2+ decades out west (ID, UT, MT) the downhill riders almost always yield for the climber. As it should be in my opinion unless it's a directional trail. But whatever, politeness rules as previously stated. I have had one downhiller fly around a blind corner and bitch at me for being in the way though which really set me off. I caught up to him on my 3" judy Tazmon hardtail with all his full on downhill armor b.s. though, and was going to beat his ass but by the time I caught him he was just rolling into the bro brah lot with his large group of friends so let it go, huffed and snorted, and rode off. If he had been solo when I caught him, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have given it my best to give him an ass whooping, I was really fucking pissed!

Other than that one incident, really haven't had many issues over the years by just trying to get along with hikers, equestrians, and other bikers though. My biggest issue has always been with asshole dog owners who can't control their dogs. I love dogs and spent a lot of time training mine to make sure she wasn't a problem to other trail users. I have been embarrassed by behavior of friends' dogs on more than one occasion and just shake my head.

So yeah, I guess the dog thing is my rant. Lots of smart hippy dippy environmentally focused folks I know that for some reason or another can't seem to train their dogs. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Anywhere I have ridden in the last 2+ decades out west (ID, UT, MT) the downhill riders almost always yield for the climber. As it should be in my opinion unless it's a directional trail. But whatever, politeness rules as previously stated. I have had one downhiller fly around a blind corner and bitch at me for being in the way though which really set me off. I caught up to him on my 3" judy Tazmon hardtail with all his full on downhill armor b.s. though, and was going to beat his ass but by the time I caught him he was just rolling into the bro brah lot with his large group of friends so let it go, huffed and snorted, and rode off. If he had been solo when I caught him, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have given it my best to give him an ass whooping, I was really fucking pissed!

You never know, his friends might have dog piled on him, and called him an asshole, too!

or they all could have taken turns beating your ass

Name:  D4E0654B-0CCC-4CA7-B2AA-1D9B1CC0A489.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  128.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

My take is that heavily trafficked areas like Moab tend to both need and bring out the tendency to conform to the "rules" more than places with little traffic. I know I'm much more likely to let a downhill rider by while climbing if they're not the eighth biker I've seen in the last 15 minutes.

^^^ You and the boss have any plans for next Sunday? Scheming to ride Red Canyon to Kirkwood.

And yes, the density of traffic is a big factor.

Density is a huge factor. I didn’t even know about the etiquette until I moved to SLC where it was expected and made some sense. Moved back East and it doesn’t exist. I don’t mean that people are assholes, completely the opposite. People use common sense and kindness, and I think that only works because there are so few people out on the trail. The lack of aggressively sanctimonious outdoor enthusiasts also helps.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Density is a huge factor. I didn’t even know about the etiquette until I moved to SLC where it was expected and made some sense. Moved back East and it doesn’t exist. I don’t mean that people are assholes, completely the opposite. People use common sense and kindness, and I think that only works because there are so few people out on the trail. The lack of aggressively sanctimonious outdoor enthusiasts also helps.
    it's is interesting that the ec is more chill, bit I agree. Mtn biking here never seems to be an issue with row. Sometimes I stop on the up and sometimes on the down. But with that said, we have a lot of tech with short punchy stuff, so it's easier to decide when to stop or not. Cleaning a tech uphill is more of an accomplishment than riding down it, so I'll always yield to the up in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    ^^^ You and the boss have any plans for next Sunday? Scheming to ride Red Canyon to Kirkwood.

And yes, the density of traffic is a big factor.
    Pierre's hole race (30mi) Saturday, probably resting Sunday. Would love to do that sometime this summer though.

Are you doing it, or just HMS?

Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Are you doing it, or just HMS?

Good luck and have fun!
    Both

That is a worthy reason, have fun.

Maybe another Cory ride later this summer/fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    It's location dependent. Around here there are plenty of crusty old hiker types, wannabe greenies and unfortunately lots of assholes. The further into the BC or off the beaten path places you are the better it gets. Thankfully so many of the grumpy types are allergic to the outdoors so they only stick to the more popular spots leaving more of those off the beaten path places for the rest of us.

Oh and what the fuck is with all the bags of dog shit hanging on trees along the trails?! I'm even seeing it at the turnouts that fishermen use this summer. People suck....

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

Oh and what the fuck is with all the bags of dog shit hanging on trees along the trails?! I'm even seeing it at the turnouts that fishermen use this summer. People suck....
    People get really annoyed when they are left on the ground, maybe they are trying to be nice and not do that?

Ripping down Ridge trail in Steamboat in a hailstorm/rainstorm. Top 1/2 is nice crushed granite and loam and we were hauling despite the weather. Apparently about halfway down it turns into clay, which I didn't know - the kind that turns into snot that coats everything. Hit a corner that looked fine (no one else was there so only a couple of tire tracks) going far too fast and totally lost the front end on the super slick clay.

You know how sometimes when you sort've high side you can smack your stem with your knee? Not sure exactly what happened, but I think I essentially did that, but hard enough to take a big chunk out of my flesh over the kneecap. Deep.

Now I'm fucking sidelined with stitches on the front of my knee. I've got tons of stuff scheduled over the next couple weeks that I'm going to miss. Knee's all swollen and even if it wasn't I can't bend it enough to bike or run without popping the stitches. Fucking trail is probably the least technical trail I've ridden in years, and somehow I do this shit.

On the upside, the Steamboat ER was really good and really quick. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Ripping down Ridge trail in Steamboat in a hailstorm/rainstorm. Top 1/2 is nice crushed granite and loam and we were hauling despite the weather. Apparently about halfway down it turns into clay, which I didn't know - the kind that turns into snot that coats everything. Hit a corner that looked fine (no one else was there so only a couple of tire tracks) going far too fast and totally lost the front end on the super slick clay.

You know how sometimes when you sort've high side you can smack your stem with your knee? Not sure exactly what happened, but I think I essentially did that, but hard enough to take a big chunk out of my flesh over the kneecap. Deep.

Now I'm fucking sidelined with stitches on the front of my knee. I've got tons of stuff scheduled over the next couple weeks that I'm going to miss. Knee's all swollen and even if it wasn't I can't bend it enough to bike or run without popping the stitches. Fucking trail is probably the least technical trail I've ridden in years, and somehow I do this shit.

On the upside, the Steamboat ER was really good and really quick. So there's that.
    I'd laugh at you but I feel too bad for you to laugh. At least you're keeping a stiff upper lip and all that.