Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2253
    That anyone could say this wasn't the funniest bike video they saw today.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

My kid is heading off to college. Primary means of locomotion will be his fixie. Heís been bitchin about his cog slipping. I keep telling him to set the cog tight and then tighten the lock ring and itíll be fine. Stop complaining and fix it.

Finally he convinced me to take a look. Fucker has somehow stopped the threads on the hub. Itís a cheap hub. Heís really strong. Is it possible he actually stomped or stopped so hard on the damn thing it skipped the threads?! Shit. Thats like anchorman: Iím not even mad. Iím impressed.

So now I need a new hub, and itís got to be a good one, and I need it immediately. Thisíll be cheap. Plus he gets to tell me I told you so.

So I pretty much lose all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

That bike will go up for sale one day with the ol gentle use descriptor

Just got shipped a bottom bracket to replace my kids shot POS powerspline BB and it's missing a part. Mainly all the bottom bracket standards piss me off. Commencal putting powerspline on my kids bike is criminal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Admire the effort but what exactly was the plan there?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My kid is heading off to college. Primary means of locomotion will be his fixie. Heís been bitchin about his cog slipping. I keep telling him to set the cog tight and then tighten the lock ring and itíll be fine. Stop complaining and fix it.

Finally he convinced me to take a look. Fucker has somehow stopped the threads on the hub. Itís a cheap hub. Heís really strong. Is it possible he actually stomped or stopped so hard on the damn thing it skipped the threads?! Shit. Thats like anchorman: Iím not even mad. Iím impressed.

So now I need a new hub, and itís got to be a good one, and I need it immediately. Thisíll be cheap. Plus he gets to tell me I told you so.

So I pretty much lose all around.
    If it's already trashed.... epoxy the cog in place?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Admire the effort but what exactly was the plan there?
    Before the bar clip my only guess was, land to flat?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Just got shipped a bottom bracket to replace my kids shot POS powerspline BB and it's missing a part. Mainly all the bottom bracket standards piss me off. Commencal putting powerspline on my kids bike is criminal too.
    Like a kid kids bike? If so its because short cranks (sub 165mm) are hard to spec in modern BB standards.
    My buddy is a product manager for a bike line and he has responsibility for a bunch of Jr. bikes that he has to spec'. He says buying Jr. cranks are one of biggest pains, and most higher end jr. bikes have cranks that are made by that brand (like Commencal make some of their own cranks).
    Powerspline is an open source (even though its a SRAM product) that they don't have to pay royalties to use in their design.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If it's already trashed.... epoxy the cog in place?
    I'm thinking about giving that a try, but the singlespeed freewheel side is still fine so maybe I'll find a use for it by flipping it over. But I really want to try it. You know, for science...

I told my kid we should do that and he was all "No way, I'm gonna explode when it lets go! Are ya tryin to kill me?!" blah blah blah

I mean, I couldn't tell him he was wrong, so oh well.
    Last edited by EWG; 08-02-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Whose idea was it to make the freehub width different for 11-speed road vs. mtb, even though the cog spacing is the same? Working on converting some old MTB wheels for use on a gravel bike. Decided I didn't need the 11-42 gearing and bought a 11-32 Shimano 105 cassette to replace it. Pulled off the old cassette, put on the new one, doesn't fit. Can't get the 11 cog to catch the teeth on the freehub and the lock ring won't thread in. Pulled the whole thing off and tried again, still doesn't fit. Did that about 5 more times before I gave up and figured out that since the new cassette is for road, it requires a wider freehub. So now I have a cassette I can't use and a wheel with gearing I don't need.

10 speed and 11 speed mtb = 34.95mm
    11 speed road = 36.75mm
    In order to fit the 11th cog on a road hub they had to increase the freehub width by 1.8mm
    The 11th mtb cog can fit on the the shorter freehub because the 11th cog hangs over the end of the freehub and over the dish of the spokes.
    For $80 there is a 11 speed Shimano HG800 (Ultegra) 11-34 that fits on 10 speed hubs.

Internal cable rattle - aargh...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'm a fan of trek's system that lets you zip tie the internal cables to the downtube. Basically just 2 holes in the downtube that you can thread a zip tie through and around the cables. If you have an aluminum frame, you could probably just drill those holes and do the same thing.

no 27.5 DHR in the REI universe when I need new rubber and have divi plus 15% off coupon. probably gonna regret getting talked into wtb vigilante for the back I bet DHF in the rear would be better. Oh well
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Like a kid kids bike? If so its because short cranks (sub 165mm) are hard to spec in modern BB standards.
    My buddy is a product manager for a bike line and he has responsibility for a bunch of Jr. bikes that he has to spec'. He says buying Jr. cranks are one of biggest pains, and most higher end jr. bikes have cranks that are made by that brand (like Commencal make some of their own cranks).
    Powerspline is an open source (even though its a SRAM product) that they don't have to pay royalties to use in their design.
    Yeah it is a commencal jr hard tail but with 27.5 wheels. The spec sheet said it was to come with something different than powerspline, but is came with powerspline version of 155 mm SRAM NX cranks.

They have a different model 155 mm crank but must have been in short supply. As far as I can tell the SRAM truvativ is the only available powerspline BB with the right spec and itís not very burly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	992.9 KB 
ID:	336097

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Yeah it is a commencal jr hard tail but with 27.5 wheels. The spec sheet said it was to come with something different than powerspline, but is came with powerspline version of 155 mm SRAM NX cranks.

They have a different model 155 mm crank but must have been in short supply. As far as I can tell the SRAM truvativ is the only available powerspline BB with the right spec and itís not very burly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	992.9 KB 
ID:	336097
    Just spit balling, but if you got a cheap / burly (i.e. not hollow) 180 mm crank, I bet you could drill and tap a new pedal hole at 155 mm and then cut off the excess.

Edit: nevermind, I see it's the bb that's your problem.

Well thatís actually a decent idea if I had the knowledge to drill/tap a crank correctly as with new crank I could get a different bb standard. Just trying to avoid buying both new cranks and BB.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm a fan of trek's system that lets you zip tie the internal cables to the downtube. Basically just 2 holes in the downtube that you can thread a zip tie through and around the cables. If you have an aluminum frame, you could probably just drill those holes and do the same thing.
    Yeah maybe but I bet the battery is in the way It would be an awful mess if I drilled into that. The other option is to pull the motor and battery pack but that's 3-4 hours worth of effort and I bet I'd fuck something up along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Ahh, just fill it with Great Stuff expanding foam. Problem solved if you don’t like who you sell it to.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    no 27.5 DHR in the REI universe when I need new rubber and have divi plus 15% off coupon. probably gonna regret getting talked into wtb vigilante for the back I bet DHF in the rear would be better. Oh well
    If they have an aggressor in stock I'd go with that.

I occasionally ride with this StravAssHole who has all the segments loaded on his Garmin.
    So when a segment is about to start he drops 10-15 seconds behind us, so we essentially start 15 seconds before him.
    He then rides beside us, or on my wheel the whole climb. When we are at the top of the climb/Segment he makes sure he is beside me or 1 second behind me on my wheel.
    After the ride he always reads out all the segments: Got you by ď12 seconds on Power Hill ClimbĒ
    He thinks he is so sneaky, pretends to drink a bottle or adjust his shoes to drop back 15 seconds, I can hear his fucking Garmin beep telling him 250ft until the segment starts. I have the same function on my computer but donít want it beeping every fucking segment.
    I only occasional ride with this guy, but I find it so weird.
    I think the next time he is planned to ride with us Iíll upload all the segments and sprint finish the last 1500 ft of EVERY segments.
    This is not an Anti-Strava post, I love seeing my personal times/gains/mileage, I just find it really weird how some people are so weird about it.

We had a guy join a group I would occasionally tag along with. Overall pretty chill bunch of dudes, but this guy, ex cop, was a bit aggressive. Let me first say he is a kick ass rider. Very fit and capable. Very health conscious, works out loads etc. Very fun rider to watch, getting airs off of little side features most people wouldn't even see etc.

But shit, never seen a guy on a group ride constantly jockeying for position in tight single track. NOT ONLY THAT - so now he's at the front of our group, and we're coming up to another group of riders - dude departs our pack and starts getting in between them. Thought that was completely jack assed.

TBF, that’s how you HAVE to ride in order to get anywhere on TWE unless you are on the first AM shuttle...but local after work laps? Yeah...
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    TBF, thatís how you HAVE to ride in order to get anywhere on TWE unless you are on the first AM shuttle...but local after work laps? Yeah...
    Passing people via creative line choices is half the fun of TWE these days.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Passing people via creative line choices is half the fun of TWE these days.
    Agreed!
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I occasionally ride with this StravAssHole who has all the segments loaded on his Garmin.
    So when a segment is about to start he drops 10-15 seconds behind us, so we essentially start 15 seconds before him.
    He then rides beside us, or on my wheel the whole climb. When we are at the top of the climb/Segment he makes sure he is beside me or 1 second behind me on my wheel.
    After the ride he always reads out all the segments: Got you by ď12 seconds on Power Hill ClimbĒ
    He thinks he is so sneaky, pretends to drink a bottle or adjust his shoes to drop back 15 seconds, I can hear his fucking Garmin beep telling him 250ft until the segment starts. I have the same function on my computer but donít want it beeping every fucking segment.
    I only occasional ride with this guy, but I find it so weird.
    I think the next time he is planned to ride with us Iíll upload all the segments and sprint finish the last 1500 ft of EVERY segments.
    This is not an Anti-Strava post, I love seeing my personal times/gains/mileage, I just find it really weird how some people are so weird about it.
    Thatís crazy.

I personally have enjoyed the reduced functionality of the free, basic Strava. I donít think I have ever discussed heads-to-head segment times with a friend, but I admit I used to check ďtodayĒ times in segments to see who else I know was in the same segment that day and how fast they were going. Now itís more like it was with the old school magnet-on-the wheel computer and ride journal.